PDA

View Full Version : Hey Baby, What's Shakin'?

TravelGal
03-17-14, 11:24 AM
Twenty years after the Northridge quake (plus 2 months), we're awakened by major rattling of doors. Meh, "that wasn't too bad" says I. They are calling it Westwood (which everyone has heard of because of UCLA) but it's really Encino, which almost no one has heard of. Only 4.4 so not so bad but a thriller anyway. Only one casualty noted so far. Our Masai man broke his heart (cracked through the chest) and lost his spear, which has been found and re-glued. Got off easy this time.

Gnam
03-17-14, 12:38 PM
They are calling it Westwood (which everyone has heard of because of UCLA) but it's really Encino, which almost no one has heard of.
http://s10.postimg.org/4n53nfym1/encino_man.jpg

Watch out for cavemen. ;)

nrc
03-17-14, 01:31 PM
I saw 4.4 in the headline and figure that nobody even woke up.

indyfan31
03-17-14, 01:39 PM
Um, yeah. I was on the 12 floor of our building uh . . . . "resting". :o

Kiwifan
03-18-14, 04:07 AM
Jeez Gal, take care over there, you don't need another big shake. You even made the news down here. :)

TravelGal
03-18-14, 02:26 PM
Jeez Gal, take care over there, you don't need another big shake. You even made the news down here. :)

Thanks, Rusty. No worries here at the Travel household but apparently the poor KTLA news anchor has gone viral with his reaction. What makes me :flaming: is the people who laugh at him. Try being in one folks. It's not what it looks like on TV or feels like on the ride at Universal. /rant

indyfan31
03-19-14, 07:26 PM
Thanks, Rusty. No worries here at the Travel household but apparently the poor KTLA news anchor has gone viral with his reaction. What makes me :flaming: is the people who laugh at him. Try being in one folks. It's not what it looks like on TV or feels like on the ride at Universal. /rant

To be fair his co-anchor Megan looked like she was going to read through the story she was on as the shaking was going on, she only got under the desk because he kind of wigged out.

He did however have a sense of humor about it, they were laughing about it the next morning, and he used a still image of his reaction on his FB page.

What was never mentioned was (diCarlo) the sports guy's reaction. when the camera zoomed out to show the shaking in the studio all we saw was his chair spinning in place. :rofl: I think he was probably in the parking lot by the time his co-anchors were getting under the desk. Kudos to the camera operator for staying with the shot.:thumbup:

Anteater
03-29-14, 12:27 AM
I slept through the 3/17 quake, but I was awake for the magnitude 5.1 quake that hit at 9:09 pm tonight. Heard it more than I felt it--much rattling of doors & windows. I'm guessing indyfan31 felt it pretty good; the experts are placing the epicenter pretty close to him (La Habra).

Apparently there was a magnitude 3.6 quake in the same area at 8:03 p.m. I did sleep through that one.

Gnam
03-29-14, 12:46 AM
Dang. It's not even earthquake weather.

manic mechanic
03-29-14, 01:02 AM
I slept through the 3/17 quake, but I was awake for the magnitude 5.1 quake that hit at 9:09 pm tonight. Heard it more than I felt it--much rattling of doors & windows. I'm guessing indyfan31 felt it pretty good; the experts are placing the epicenter pretty close to him (La Habra).

Apparently there was a magnitude 3.6 quake in the same area at 8:03 p.m. I did sleep through that one.

Long, slow shake out here Ant.. Lends creedence to the structural/seismic mods we are doing to our 60+ year old house... A good 40 seconds of s-waves and not a thing moved off a shelf!

This house might just make it through the "big one" once it's finished!! :D

BTW, LA media is saying 5.3...

manic mechanic
03-29-14, 01:05 AM
Geez, this one woke up everyone but Fausto... :rofl:

Anteater
03-29-14, 01:06 AM
Gnam, the funny thing about your comment is that the day before the 3/17 shaker, I was thinking "This is 'Earthquake Weather'"--that unseasonably warm weather we sometimes get in the spring. The one we had on Easter in 2010 occurred on a day like that.

Glad your place handled the quake OK, manic!

Yoo hoo, paging indyfan31...

TravelGal
03-29-14, 01:10 AM
I felt it up here da Valley. Long, then what seemed like the tiniest pause, then long again. I said, "Earthquake" twice to TravelGuy who was up fiddling with the TV at the time. Quite mild here. He didn't even feel it. No swaying or anything. Gnam, I think it IS earthquake weather. Unseasonably mild. That's the way it was in 1994 with the Northridge quake. I'm seeing everything from 5.1 down to 3.6. Sheesh.

Edit: Ah, two quakes. One at 8:03 and one at 9:09.

TravelGal
03-29-14, 01:11 AM
Gnam, the funny thing about your comment is that the day before the 3/17 shaker, I was thinking "This is 'Earthquake Weather'"--that unseasonably warm weather we sometimes get in the spring. The one we had on Easter in 2010 occurred on a day like that.

Glad your place handled the quake OK, manic!

Yoo hoo, paging indyfan31...

Anty, I was thinking the same thing about the same time. Was not surprised that the 3/17 quake happened. I *was* surprised tonight though. I thought Mother Earth had it out of her system for this year.

Gnam
03-29-14, 02:03 AM
Now I'm glad it's raining in NorCal this weekend. I don't need any of that noise up here. ;)

Anteater
03-29-14, 11:44 AM
Hope things quiet down--I'm supposed to attend something called "Shimmy Shakedown" in Buena Park Sunday night--not the best name for an event at this point! :eek:

I do hope indyfan31 is OK--I just read that there was a power outage in La Mirada due to the quake, plus there are reports of toppled items etc.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/habra-607482-quake-earthquake.html

RaceGrrl
03-29-14, 01:12 PM
Hope things quiet down--I'm supposed to attend something called "Shimmy Shakedown" in Buena Park Sunday night--not the best name for an event at this point! :eek:

I do hope indyfan31 is OK--I just read that there was a power outage in La Mirada due to the quake, plus there are reports of toppled items etc.

:laugh: I was just going to post that it was probably Anteater's shimmies causing it!

TravelGal
03-29-14, 02:23 PM

Let's hope he's just out on a photography binge somewhere. AND, that the place is still standing after the shakedown Sunday. ;)

TravelGal
03-29-14, 05:33 PM
Annnnnnnnnnnd, here's another one. Aftershock or new one? We'll know in a couple of minutes.

Edit: CJ, who is basically at the epicenter of all this rockin' and rollin', says it was Rowland Heights, a 4.5 magnitude.

Double edit: Now downgraded to 4.1. I felt it more here than the one last night though.

Kiwifan
03-29-14, 06:05 PM
Take care and stay safe you guys and Gals.

Been quiet in Christchurch for some time now but as a result of the earthquakes some areas are now prone to flooding with the ground sinking up to half a metre! Insurance companies are starting to go "Hmmm."

Edit. Read news BEFORE posting, CHCH just recorded a 4 10kms deep. Spooky.

indyfan31
03-31-14, 10:39 AM
Geez, this one woke up everyone but Fausto... :rofl:
Hey there! As it turns out Friday night is Band night at my house. We were in the middle of a song when everybody stopped playing . . . and I didn't :D. This usually happens when I'm playing a different song than everybody else. That's when I noticed the walls moving back and forth. :eek: BTW, I'm about 6 or 7 miles from the epicenter.

Kinda wished we'd been playing House is a Rockin'.

Anteater
03-31-14, 09:31 PM
:laugh: Pretty funny, indyfan31! Glad you made it through the quake OK.

Gnam
04-02-14, 01:00 AM
LA and rural Northern California jostled, wild animals wandering out of Yellowstone National Park, and an 8.2 quake in Chile all in the same week.

When will mankind learn the error of its ways and come together once and for all to solve the problem of global shaking?

:tony:

gjc2
04-02-14, 06:42 AM
the problem of global shaking?

:tony:

As any "leading" scientist will tell you global shaking is caused by not high enough taxes & too much freedom.

cameraman
04-02-14, 01:47 PM
wild animals wandering out of Yellowstone National Park

Seriously W.T.F. is up with all of this Yellowstone caldera ********? The animals are moving, well it is ******* spring, of course the animals are moving. The caldera could erupt again, maybe in 10,000 years or so. All of recorded history is half of that. Why is anyone talking about an eruption?

SteveH
04-02-14, 03:14 PM
Yellowstone Volcano Eruption in 2014? Are Animals Fleeing Park As ‘An Alert’? (http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/593833-yellowstone-volcano-eruption-in-2014-some-believe-animals-are-fleeing-park-see-it-as-an-alert/)

cameraman
04-02-14, 03:19 PM
Yellowstone Volcano Eruption in 2014? Are Animals Fleeing Park As ‘An Alert’? (http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/593833-yellowstone-volcano-eruption-in-2014-some-believe-animals-are-fleeing-park-see-it-as-an-alert/)

It's annoying when bat**** crazy people learn html.

indyfan31
04-02-14, 03:48 PM
Seriously W.T.F. is up with all of this Yellowstone caldera ********? The animals are moving, well it is ******* spring, of course the animals are moving. The caldera could erupt again, maybe in 10,000 years or so. All of recorded history is half of that. Why is anyone talking about an eruption?

Because some dufus put it on his Facebook page and now it's officially "news".

G.
04-02-14, 09:45 PM
It's annoying when bat**** crazy people learn html.

Considering it's called "Epoch Times", it's actually a fairly well-balanced article - by today's standards. It states that the world is going to end (or something), then proceeds to debunk that with sciency guys.

Most of the crap you see on Yahoo and the like, will skip the second step.

Gnam
04-04-14, 12:10 AM
no way. Earthquake! 9:05pm magnitude 3.7 :D

TravelGal
04-04-14, 01:05 PM
I had to look that one up, which brings me to the page that lists them all, which truly gives one the willies. http://earthquaketrack.com/v/norcal/recent

SteveH
04-05-14, 09:47 AM
Scientists dismiss claims that Yellowstone volcano about to erupt
(http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-dismiss-claims-yellowstone-volcano-erupt-235751568.html)

Damn science takes the fun out of everything.

TravelGal
04-05-14, 02:12 PM
There are so many lunatic stories that I only investigate the ones mentioned here on OC. You can make any inference you want on that. ;) Sooooooooo, in reading about the bison I see that the ORIGINAL caption said something like, "I am so honored to see this every year as the bison run down the road, just because they can." That got 100,000 or so views. Some idiot retitled it, "Bison running for their lives." That went viral and got more than 1 million views and national attention. And we wonder why the news is as it is. :shakehead:

SteveH
04-05-14, 07:53 PM
Series of small earthquakes rock Oklahoma in record seismic activity
(http://news.yahoo.com/series-small-earthquakes-rock-oklahoma-record-seismic-activity-173349780.html;_ylt=AwrBEiLCQUBTDxwAIUvQtDMD)

One earthquake recorded at 3.8 magnitude by the U.S. Geological Survey rocked houses in several communities around central Oklahoma at 7:42 a.m. local time. Another about two hours earlier in the same part of the state, north of Oklahoma City, was recorded at 2.9 magnitude, USGS said.

Those two were preceded by two more, at 2.6 magnitude, and 2.5 magnitude, that also rolled the landscape in central Oklahoma early Saturday morning. A 3.0 magnitude tremor struck late Friday night in that area as well, following a 3.4 magnitude hit Friday afternoon.

JohnHKart
04-06-14, 03:32 AM
The one last Friday 28 scared me bad as it didn't just start then get bad it seemed to just start violent .,, Caught me totally off guard

SteveH
04-07-14, 05:41 PM
French scientists are working on an acoustic earthquake shield (http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/7/5589570/french-scientists-are-working-on-an-acoustic-earthquake-shield)

don't ask me to explain it :gomer:

Gnam
05-21-15, 11:18 PM
:D Earthquake! 7:53pm, magnitude 4.1, 9 miles away

Earlier this month there was a 3.6 about 30 miles South of here on a nearby fault.
May is full of Eggcite-ment.

Kiwifan
05-22-15, 12:40 AM

Earlier this month there was a 3.6 about 30 miles South of here on a nearby fault.

Not to make light of your big quake but I can't wait for Gal to reply to this thread. :-) 3.6? I see a raised eyebrow or two, lol. :p

dando
05-22-15, 06:33 AM

The Russian judge gave it a 10. :gomer:

TravelGal
05-22-15, 03:36 PM
Not to make light of your big quake but I can't wait for Gal to reply to this thread. :-) 3.6? I see a raised eyebrow or two, lol. :p

:D But remember, he's in the SFO area (I think) so he might have felt the big one in 1989. Assuming he was even alive then. :saywhat:

That magnitude is noticeable though. I've felt a few in the last few evenings whilst grazing around the internet in the late evening. I usually check earthquaketrack.com

Gnam
05-22-15, 04:32 PM
There was a magnitude 5.4 this afternoon in the wilds of Nevada.
It was felt in Las Vegas, 125 miles South of the epicenter.

Rock and roll.

Gnam
09-07-15, 11:02 AM
Quake! 7:35 am, magnitude 2.9, 3 miles away

It is earthquake weather: bright blue skies, warm temperature, no breeze.

WickerBill
09-07-15, 11:28 AM
2.9 sounds small - until you mentioned you're 3 miles away. That's a little unsettling.