PDA

View Full Version : Attaching the Toroidal Ferrite Core

TravelGal
02-05-14, 01:58 PM
So you look at the thread title and then who posted it. Now that you've stopped laughing....

TravelGuy and I made our first attempt at a sound bar for our flat screen TV (both Samsung). Bought before Christmas, finally opened the box yesterday. Missing the power cord. Lovely. Too late to return so Samsung is sending one. In a week or two.

Looking down the list of instructions we come upon the toroidal ferrite core. We do have that part at least. Some places it says to attach to the subwoofer wire. Some places it says to attach to the "main unit" sound bar wire. Which is it, oh experienced ones? Or doesn't it matter? They will both be with a a couple of feet of each other. Or do we need it at all?

Next up, we tried to "wrap twice around" which means three times through the core. Won't fit. Does it have to be twice to create the correct coil field?

:rolleyes:

Gnam
02-05-14, 02:53 PM
Is this what we're talking about?

http://s28.postimg.org/wh505c1vh/ferrite_core.jpg

http://s30.postimg.org/u3h3egj9t/ferrite_sub.jpg

http://s17.postimg.org/i2fy9sn0v/ferrite_audio.jpg

nrc
02-05-14, 06:39 PM
These devices are used by the NSA to read your thoughts. Put them in a metal box and bury them your back yard late a night.

Or. The big one goes on the power cord to the subwoofer. Wrap the cord around as shown, which is really twice through the toroid. Does this soundbar connect wirelessly to the subwoofer? If so then if you're connecting audio from your TV to the sound bar with a regular audio cable then the smaller torid goes around that audio cable. You don't need it if you're connecting the soundbar with an optical or HDMI connection so you can go ahead and bury it as suggested above.

Gnam
02-05-14, 07:24 PM
:rofl:

TravelGal
02-05-14, 07:41 PM
These devices are used by the NSA to read your thoughts. Put them in a metal box and bury them your back yard late a night.

Or. The big one goes on the power cord to the subwoofer. Wrap the cord around as shown, which is really twice through the toroid. Does this soundbar connect wirelessly to the subwoofer? If so then if you're connecting audio from your TV to the sound bar with a regular audio cable then the smaller torid goes around that audio cable. You don't need it if you're connecting the soundbar with an optical or HDMI connection so you can go ahead and bury it as suggested above.

In a word, yes. So I'm glad to read I can use the smaller one because I've only got one. And it looks small.

I have all those diagrams. If you start with the wire through the toroid, then it goes over and through. That leaves one loop on the top and two thicknesses of wire in the center. Loop again and you have two loops over the top and three thicknesses of wire. That's why I can't close it. But, reading further, we are using an HDMI cable so I'll make like a squirrel in the night. :D

nrc
02-05-14, 07:47 PM
The larger one was probably packaged with the power cord that you didn't get.