PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Rules Talk

Insomniac
01-26-14, 01:01 PM
Thoughts on the rules changes for 2014?

New Engine, 1.6L V6 Turbo, 15K RPM limit
Replacement of KERS with 2 ERS systems that provide 2x more HP for 5.5x more time
8-speed gear box with ratios set at the beginning of the season for all races (they'll allow one modification in season)
Aero changes like lower and smaller nose, smaller rear wing, more movement for DRS wing element, single rear exhaust behind rear wheels, no fake camera mounting
Reduced fuel consumption and new fuel limit
Increased minimum weight
Double points

Couple links to a video (http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2014/0/1133.html) and article (http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/1/15408.html).

WickerBill
01-26-14, 01:41 PM
Like: New KERS, some of the aero changes (I'm in favor of the cars being hard to tame), gearbox

Dislike: the new engine, specifically the RPM limit, double points, fuel restrictions, more DRS.

Wish: change the weight rules to avoid penalizing non-horse jockeys, find a safer way to bring back refueling, set the RPM limit at something astronomical so engineers have to balance performance and reliability (and so they sound better!), don't allow DRS to be used when trailing a car you're lapping, force all drivers to set a lap within first 10 minutes of Q1 and Q2.

Want more strategy.

Insomniac
01-26-14, 05:14 PM
Like: New KERS, some of the aero changes (I'm in favor of the cars being hard to tame), gearbox

Dislike: the new engine, specifically the RPM limit, double points, fuel restrictions, more DRS.

Wish: change the weight rules to avoid penalizing non-horse jockeys, find a safer way to bring back refueling, set the RPM limit at something astronomical so engineers have to balance performance and reliability (and so they sound better!), don't allow DRS to be used when trailing a car you're lapping, force all drivers to set a lap within first 10 minutes of Q1 and Q2.

Want more strategy.

Do you know how much development is allowed on the engines this year? If none, I wish they'd open it up. They have this great power system that is now pretty complex with 2 ERS systems, turbo charger combined, maximum fuel burn rate and a race fuel limit. I feel like they could dump the fuel burn rate limit and the RPM limit. Get to the end of the race with the other limits and the amount of fuel you have.

They never talk about weight on the broadcast. It made me think that it didn't matter (they were easily under and were able to balance it exactly how they wanted as a result. Was I mistaken?

I hope the aero changes make the car harder to drive. The day they achieve that and dump DRS will be a day to celebrate.

WickerBill
01-26-14, 05:53 PM
I got that info from articles like this one: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111713

It appears this year is going to be hard on taller/heavier drivers.

Pilgrims Drop
01-26-14, 05:57 PM
I really hope that Vettel has it all sown up again early this year just to show the middlefinger to that utterly stupid double points rule #disgrace! :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Hard Driver
01-26-14, 10:14 PM
That gear ratio rules is idiotic... really, one set of gear ratios for the entire year. What is that, some cost savings? Yea, change the engine entirely, but changing gear ratios is too expensive?

And the new cars are pretty ugly.

Mabye the FIA should spend more time trying to help F1 than suing google over linking to sites with Nazi orgy pics.

Gnam
01-27-14, 02:38 AM
If the rear wing gets any smaller, a single center upright will be enough to support it. It'll look like the handle on a Radio Flyer wagon. :gomer:

opinionated ow
01-27-14, 08:15 AM
F1 has just been ruined. YMMV

Insomniac
01-27-14, 10:27 AM
That gear ratio rules is idiotic... really, one set of gear ratios for the entire year. What is that, some cost savings? Yea, change the engine entirely, but changing gear ratios is too expensive?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like the rule. 30 gears down to 8 (or maybe 16 if they switch them all). It's not a spec gear box, now you need be more strategic.