PDA

View Full Version : Copa Mundial de la FIFA Brasil 2014

WickerBill
01-18-14, 06:05 PM
This could really end poorly (http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Special/2014/01/16/Fear-and-loathing-in-Brazil-as-World-Cup-beckons/UPI-90741389887513/?spt=rln&or=2). Probably a lot higher chance of big problems than in Sochi.

Doesn't mean I'm not excited for it. Can hardly wait for June.

Insomniac
01-19-14, 07:24 PM
I can't wait, but man we have a killer draw. :(

WickerBill
06-07-14, 07:11 PM
It's almost time it's almost time it's almost time!!

TravelGal
06-08-14, 01:46 AM
So it is. Do you think they will win the race with the clock to finish the stadium?

WickerBill
06-08-14, 10:16 AM
Except in the case of the Super Bowl in Dallas, it always seems to work out. But we will see. There will be a lot of protests; wonder how much coverage they'll get.

Insomniac
06-08-14, 01:08 PM
Except in the case of the Super Bowl in Dallas, it always seems to work out. But we will see. There will be a lot of protests; wonder how much coverage they'll get.

And on that one, JerryWorld was open for 2 years. :shakehead:

I'd expect minimal coverage of protesters. Brazil isn't spending all that money to have the world feed showing them in the stands. They already hide people who get on the field. So it pretty much leaves the news, and the coverage there will vary.

In the past I managed to watch every minute (not live). I feel like this year it's going to be daunting to pull off. Why?

WickerBill
06-10-14, 09:14 AM
Because of the during-work-hours times of the games?

BTW: I highly recommend watching this if you want to laugh and want to have a new organization to hate:

DlJEt2KU33I

Insomniac
06-10-14, 09:23 AM
Because of the during-work-hours times of the games?

I think it's harder for me to divide my attention now. I could write code and watch TV pretty well, but hard to talk on the phone and watch TV. :)

cameraman
06-13-14, 01:28 AM
I'm really coming to believe that futbol needs instant replay on officiating. There's only one guy and clearly they make bad calls because they can't see what's happening perfectly. That penalty shot Brazil had tonight was not penalty. A replay would have overruled that one in a heartbeat.

chop456
06-13-14, 01:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/sFJkXri.png

chop456
06-13-14, 05:31 AM
Funny how life imitates The Simpsons sometimes.

Someone please photoshop an Oscar statue in Fred's hand and a pile of $100 bills in the ref's hip pocket. Thanks in advance.

http://s2.djyimg.com/n3/eet-content/uploads/2014/06/AP65591092811-1024x645.jpg

WickerBill
06-13-14, 06:19 AM
What is being missed is the Croatian keeper screwed up on all three goals.

1. Mis-hit shot, no power, he reacted very late. If any of them aren't his fault, it's this one: he could have been unable to see what was happening, hockey-style.

2. He got his FULL HAND on that penalty and didn't turn it out. His hands were too far apart. He has to be sick about that one.

3. You cannot get beaten by a toe poke from 16 yards out. His reaction and lunge were horrifically late.

Insomniac
06-13-14, 11:02 AM
The video is too good not to have video replay in any way. I get the argument to slowing the game down, but they should just use it when the game has already come to a halt. Any potentially game changing penalty is going to incur a stoppage. Use that time to review and alert the official before play resumes. They should also take "simulation" in the penalty box very seriously. End it by awarding the other team the PK. They should also award yellow cards post match for "simulation".

I don't blame the ref on this one. In real time it looked like he was pulled down but then you could see the guy couldn't possibly have done that.

Brazil hurt their status though. They looked desperate and far from the favorite to win heading into it.

chop456
06-14-14, 08:05 AM
Had Mexico lost that game, I wouldn't have blamed their fans for burning down the stadium, the city, and the Eastern half of South America.

Garbage.

WickerBill
06-14-14, 08:37 AM
I like the line of thinking, Insomniac... in situations where the game has to stop (penalties as well as the already-covered goal decisions), use replay. And, if found to be a flop, yellow-card the flopper right there.

Insomniac
06-14-14, 12:01 PM
Favorites so far aren't looking so good. That was a beat down the Dutch laid.

And FIFA, you suck more. Why would you have them where blue? I had to think about it the whole match.

You're going to be a lot of close/wrong offsides calls throughout the tournament. You win some, you lose some. Unless they chip the players, that's how it's going to be.

cameraman
06-14-14, 03:57 PM
The Costa Rica/Uruguay game is in a half full (at best) stadium:shakehead:

cameraman
06-14-14, 04:58 PM
People should have gone to the game, Costa Rica takes it 3-1. #28 takes out #7:eek:

RusH
06-15-14, 06:37 PM
you peeps can complain if you all want, but Argentina is taking this all the way to the falklands.... but #winning this time #messi :)

Insomniac
06-15-14, 09:25 PM
I don't get how shaving and/or whipped cream is an innovation?

I thought the goal line technology was dead on. Kasey Keller doesn't know what he's talking about. :)

WickerBill
06-16-14, 06:30 AM
It may not be an innovation, but it is one of those fantastically simple "why didn't we think of this sooner?" ideas. It truly helps.

If only there was an anti-diving spray.

Insomniac
06-16-14, 07:30 AM
It may not be an innovation, but it is one of those fantastically simple "why didn't we think of this sooner?" ideas. It truly helps.

Yeah, definitely a good idea, but just hearing them talk about it and say things like "innovative" and "it will go away by itself" like it was ground breaking is comical.

Maybe they'll do something about diving for 2018. My simple plan:

Live review during stoppage of play
Yellow card issued to diver, if a PK was awarded, either a red card or yellow card and the other team gets the PK
Any team can submit non-called diving to FIFA for review, award post game yellow cards to offenders (deadline for submission is 24 hrs after the previous game)

Messi is fast. I'm still amazed every time I see him.

TrueBrit
06-16-14, 12:48 PM
you peeps can complain if you all want, but Argentina is taking this all the way to the falklands.... but #winning this time #messi :)

They played a tomato can...no-one, and I mean no-one, is stopping the Dutch this year...

TrueBrit
06-16-14, 12:49 PM

No kidding....but then how would the refs award blatantly bad penalties?

TrueBrit
06-16-14, 12:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sFJkXri.png

So true...so bloody true....they were HOPELESS...0-3 is my group prediction...Uruguay will beat them 3-0, and Costa Rica will probably reach double figures...Joe Hart has to be one of the worst goalies currently playing, Shrek couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, downhill, with a following wind, the only semi-decent player is Sturridge, and I have no clue who most of the rest of the team are...thank you so much Premiere League...almost no home-grown talent whatsoever...

Let's go Holland!!!!

WickerBill
06-16-14, 02:46 PM
I know the rules say you can't do what Pepe did. But the dude flopped like Vlade Divac and was holding his face. Pepe got in his face and yelled at him. The horrible flopper stays in the game and Pepe sees a red card.

Hated it.

cameraman
06-16-14, 03:13 PM
He wouldn't have got the red card if he had just yelled at him. It was the idiotic contact that got him taken off.

chop456
06-16-14, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately for him, he also has a long record of being a giant douche. Should that matter? To the rules, no. To me, yes. :D

Another instance of replay being a great thing in that situation.

cameraman
06-17-14, 03:06 AM
Hmmm. Yeah we won the game but there were about 85 minutes there where we didn't look so wonderful. We won't be able to sit back and rely on defense against Portugal and as for Germany…

Insomniac
06-17-14, 07:58 AM
Hmmm. Yeah we won the game but there were about 85 minutes there where we didn't look so wonderful. We won't be able to sit back and rely on defense against Portugal and as for Germany…

I had a sense the game vs Portugal would go differently, but if its true they have no replacement for Altidore, it could be a long day. Also makes me wonder, if they are down a goal, who do they send in with energy and can spark a goal?

Also, hopefully the general lackluster and poor endurance yesterday was a one time occurrence. Bradley seemed out of sync and had a lot of bad touches yesterday.

WickerBill
06-17-14, 11:07 AM
Bradley was the big issue for the whole team yesterday. Without him controlling possession *at all*, the team basically only defended and launched a few counter attacks. If he improves, the entire team will.

You cannot allow Ronaldo to have the type of possession that Ghana did. He will score 6.

WickerBill
06-17-14, 10:34 PM
This will surely bring out the haters, but that Brazil-Mexico match was an amazing 0-0 draw. Exciting from beginning to end.

Insomniac
06-18-14, 09:22 AM
This will surely bring out the haters, but that Brazil-Mexico match was an amazing 0-0 draw. Exciting from beginning to end.

It was well played, especially the Mexican GK. Amazing job. But it just continues to lower the Brazil as favorites bar.

TrueBrit
06-18-14, 12:19 PM

The Mexican goalie deserves a medal...what an outstanding performance...

TrueBrit
06-18-14, 04:57 PM
Holy cr@p!!??? Hasta la vista Espana....:eek:

TravelGal
06-18-14, 06:34 PM
Adios muchachos. Having watched much of an extremely long (hours' long) TV program on the history of the teams as they came into the Cup this year, I rather thought Chile has some beans in 'em.

Made me sorry Bosnia lost though. The section on their national reaction when they qualified on the last day possible tugged at my heartstrings.

TravelGal
06-19-14, 03:30 PM
Hmmm, don't know if we should be posting spoilers so I'll just say that I was happy with one particular result today because it was the country of my first international trip. In fact, I lived there for 3 months, twice. :thumbup:

TrueBrit
06-19-14, 05:28 PM
Truly, truly pathetic. Lacklustre, dis-jointed, unimaginative, leaden, flat-footed, bush-league, uninterested, over-paid, under-talented, bunch of goddamned useless ****ing wankers....

Fire the lot, managers, trainers, consultants, hangers-on, WAGS - fire the bloody lot....

Non-one gets to put on the Three Lions until they play like they actually give a toss about representing their country and play with some goddamned pride and motivation...

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and watch the Japan v Greece game played by people that know all the words to their national anthem and don't have to be instructed to sing it out loud before the game....Oh..and they might know how to score some goals...or actually win a game..

Racing Truth
06-19-14, 08:05 PM
^^Sorry to poor salt in the wound TB, but I'm still LOLing at the English defending. "Suarez? Eh, don't need to mark him.":laugh:

WickerBill
06-19-14, 09:41 PM
Despite your tirade, Brit, I'm not sure it's the players. Yes, the second Biter goal was a farce, but with all of the team speed Hodgson picked for the World Cup, why are the tactics still almost exactly what they were under Sven? They rarely even TRY to beat offside traps, despite starting two absolute speed demons near the front.

I truly think England could score like Liverpool if they played the same way.

Insomniac
06-22-14, 08:38 PM
heartbreaking :(

indyfan31
06-23-14, 12:27 PM
Every 4 years I try to watch world cup, and every year I realize why I don't.

Channel surfing this weekend, come up on the Russia-Belgium game, so I decide to watch.
3 minutes into it two players going for the ball "brush" against each other. One goes down like he's been shot off his horse in a
Sam Peckinpah movie, hands over his face, writhing in pain, ref gives the other guy a yellow card. Then they show the slow-mo. The offender's shoe was a full 15 inches away from the victims face. I changed the channel. :rolleyes:

cameraman
06-23-14, 01:51 PM
Histronics aside there have been very few cases of actual true flops in this cup. They always roll about, half the time cuz it does hurt to get spiked in the ankle and half the time to make sure the ref notices. I didn't see the Bel-Rus game but from what I've heard it is a strong contender for the worst game of the entire tournament.

indyfan31
06-23-14, 06:37 PM
Histronics aside there have been very few cases of actual true flops in this cup. They always roll about, half the time cuz it does hurt to get spiked in the ankle and half the time to make sure the ref notices. I didn't see the Bel-Rus game but from what I've heard it is a strong contender for the worst game of the entire tournament.

That figures. Just my luck to pick that one to watch.
Was it just me or did there seem to be a lot less flopping during the Women's World Cup Tournament a few years ago?

WickerBill
06-24-14, 05:50 AM
It is NOT just you. The women, aside from Marta (a Brazilian center forward who is very good) just do not flop.

chop456
06-24-14, 01:24 PM
How about something similar to the NFL rule, but more harsh, because the problem is much worse? You want to lay on the turf, squirming around like a little girl*? You're off the field for 5x the amount of injury time added for your "injury". I'd also like to see one minute additional time added for each tooth shown during the performance.

As was said - a three match ban for a flop with no contact would be great.

*No offense intended to little girls, most of whom appear, at least outwardly, to be tougher then some of the players.

WickerBill
06-24-14, 03:35 PM
Are you KIDDING ME?? He bit someone ELSE??

I don't care how good he is. He needs to be banned from all FIFA-accredited soccer leagues for a year, minimum. I never imagined we'd have a three strikes and you're out situation for BITING.

Mike Tyson probably feels like an amateur.

Tifosi24
06-24-14, 07:30 PM

I don't care how good he is. He needs to be banned from all FIFA-accredited soccer leagues for a year, minimum. I never imagined we'd have a three strikes and you're out situation for BITING.

When I told a guy at work Suarez bit someone, he responded with that's old news. Then I had to tell him, I know that, but he just bit someone, again. He left deep marks on the guy, unreal. Instead of flopping around on the ground like a fish, the Italian should have turned around and knocked Suarez's teeth out. It's not like the ref would have seen it, he was already too busy breaking up a tussle at the edge of the box.

Suarez needs to be banned for an insane amount of time, and I wouldn't be surprised if the FA, or even UEFA, throw out a rather lengthy ban for the upcoming club season. Idiots with 10 cent brains are insulted when you use that term to describe Suarez, I would argue he has no brain.

chop456
06-24-14, 08:48 PM
:laugh:

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/suarez2.png

Insomniac
06-25-14, 12:20 PM

I'm amazed that behavior carries beyond childhood every time someone does it. FIFA better now cower behind insufficient video evidence.

Insomniac
06-25-14, 12:23 PM
How about something similar to the NFL rule, but more harsh, because the problem is much worse? You want to lay on the turf, squirming around like a little girl*? You're off the field for 5x the amount of injury time added for your "injury". I'd also like to see one minute additional time added for each tooth shown during the performance.

As was said - a three match ban for a flop with no contact would be great.

*No offense intended to little girls, most of whom appear, at least outwardly, to be tougher then some of the players.

They generally keep playing as the guy rolls around when there's no call. But I think if there's a stoppage (sans penalty), you have to get off the field. The ref should also not immediately wave you back on to the field either.

chop456
06-26-14, 07:56 AM
Ghana suspend Muntari & Boateng

Posted at 12:41
A statement on the Ghana FA website reads: "The decision was taken in the wake of his unprovoked physical attack on an executive committee member of the GFA and a management member of the Black Stars, Mr Moses Armah on Tuesday 24 June 2014 during a meeting."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/27580621

Every little bit helps. :D

Insomniac
06-26-14, 09:14 AM
I don't get the red card they gave to Ecuador. The US announcers were calling for it after seeing the replay. But it just didn't seem at all red card worthy. I'd even question a yellow card. They also complimented the ref for waiting, but he was clearly talking to someone. I'm guessing he was getting more information, not letting the player be treated.

How does the Suarez hearing take 2 days. Their arguments are laughable. (http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/story/1913419/headline)

Uruguay would never do what Ghana just did.

Insomniac
06-26-14, 09:39 AM
(CNN) -- It's raining hard Thursday in Recife, Brazil, where the U.S. is set to face off against Germany in a crucial World Cup game.

Main roads are turning into rivers and the downpour hasn't let up for nearly 12 hours. Access to the stadium is getting tough -- a trip that is normally easy on a sunny day.

If it's unsafe for traffic or even impossible for cars or team buses to access the stadium, the game could be delayed or postponed.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/26/sport/world-cup-u-s-weather/index.html

(Not sure on quoting a story that's more of a blurb.)

WickerBill
06-26-14, 10:18 AM
Chewy gets a nine game international ban and a four-month ban from all soccer activities.

Tame, in my opinion, considering only one of Uruguay's next nine games is important (unless they win next week), and the four month ban includes SUMMER BREAK. :rolleyes:

Insomniac
06-26-14, 11:06 AM
Chewy gets a nine game international ban and a four-month ban from all soccer activities.

Tame, in my opinion, considering only one of Uruguay's next nine games is important (unless they win next week), and the four month ban includes SUMMER BREAK. :rolleyes:

Discussing this with co-workers, we figure they were trying to ban him for 25 games, but it's more like 10 games.

9 International
7 Premier League Friendlies
9 Premier League Games

So you figure 9 real games, 1 WC game and the rest will be friendlies. And some of the international friendlies he possibly wouldn't have even played in but they'll count toward the ban.

Insomniac
06-26-14, 11:26 AM
Game's On!

United States' decisive Group G clash against Germany on Thursday will be played as scheduled despite torrential rains in Recife, FIFA has confirmed.
http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/1913643/united-states-germany-pitch-to-be-assessed

Insomniac
06-28-14, 06:24 PM
I've long been a fan of Brazil, but I couldn't help rooting for Chile. That last shot of the cross bar before heading to extra time would've been crazy if it went in and eliminated Brazil.

James Rodriguez has an awesome first touch. It's a real shame that all the South American teams have to play each other and only 1 can get to the semi-finals.

It's interesting to watch Colombia do well if anyone has watched "The Two Escobars".

WickerBill
06-28-14, 07:20 PM
The Two Escobars (as well as JP and Connie Montoya on Twitter) make me happy for Colombia. It appears they're doing it the right way this time.

Insomniac
06-29-14, 11:16 AM
I should clarify, I do know Argentina is also in South America, was just thinking about the 4 teams that played yesterday and the winners of those having to play each other. One of them could face Argentina in the finals.

cameraman
06-29-14, 07:10 PM
The Costa Rica game was pretty amazing. Although Costa Rica really needs to re-learn ball control for winding down the clock.

WickerBill
06-29-14, 07:14 PM
It is amazing to think of tiny Costa Rica in the last 8. Wow. Good for the Americas!

Insomniac
06-30-14, 06:56 PM
And they know how to kick PKs!

WickerBill
07-01-14, 06:43 AM
Today's the big day. I almost want to go to a soccer hotspot to watch with like-minded people, but I've never been good at that. For any game I really care about, I want to sit alone in my darkened basement and be miserable or jubilant alone. Does that make me weird?

Insomniac
07-02-14, 09:46 PM
Today's the big day. I almost want to go to a soccer hotspot to watch with like-minded people, but I've never been good at that. For any game I really care about, I want to sit alone in my darkened basement and be miserable or jubilant alone. Does that make me weird?

Nah, maybe introverted. It was a roller coaster of a game. Hopefully we can get better on the first touch over the next 4 years.

TravelGal
07-05-14, 07:18 PM
I'm exhausted. I watched the whole game between Argentina and Belgium. Mind you, I know zippity doo dah about this sport but I thought the ball handling by both teams was exceptional. Certainly yards better than Spain v. Colombia yesterday, which I turned off out of boredom. Netherlands v. Costa Rica wore me out. The last 10 minutes plus extra time, I thought everyone on the pitch was going to collapse from exhaustion. Sorry anyone had to lose, especially on the PK's because the Costa Rican goalie had been so unbelievable. Whew. I'm going to go watch an Indy Car race so I can get some sleep.

G.
07-05-14, 10:10 PM
I'm exhausted. I watched the whole game between Argentina and Belgium. Mind you, I know zippity doo dah about this sport but I thought the ball handling by both teams was exceptional. Certainly yards better than Spain v. Colombia yesterday, which I turned off out of boredom. Netherlands v. Costa Rica wore me out. The last 10 minutes plus extra time, I thought everyone on the pitch was going to collapse from exhaustion. Sorry anyone had to lose, especially on the PK's because the Costa Rican goalie had been so unbelievable. Whew. I'm going to go watch an Indy Car race so I can get some sleep.

Bra-Vo! :thumbup:

:rofl::laugh::rofl:

cameraman
07-08-14, 06:10 PM
If they get through the night without burning down any cities then it will be a win.
:shakehead:

And just think Brazil still has to play either Netherlands or Argentina in the third place game. They can't just go home.

TravelGal
07-09-14, 12:48 AM
And just think Brazil still has to play either Netherlands or Argentina in the third place game. They can't just go home.

Hadn't thought of that. Even worse, the ARE home.

I feel bad for them but they were that bad. You could see it in the Colombia match. Still 7-1 is a drubbing in any language.

chop456
07-09-14, 01:15 AM
http://sadbrazilians.tumblr.com/

http://38.media.tumblr.com/2029d95c2a089c5d783e30e14917cac8/tumblr_n8ezhoUlnO1tga27vo1_1280.jpg

Sadness level 11.
None more sad.

:laugh:

TravelGal
07-09-14, 11:15 AM
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/76150000/jpg/_76150769_merkel.jpg

Drat. I can't make the picture post but it cracked me up.

TrueBrit
07-09-14, 11:37 AM
Bloody hell was that ever brutal...the Germans could have doubled that score quite easily...I don't think I have ever seen such a crappy performance on the field, and yes I realize I'm English so we have a long and deep history of calamitous **** ups ourselves, but this was atrocious...and as someone else said....they still have to play in the consolation round which will either be against a highly pissed-off Argentina, or an equally pissed-off Holland....That game might reach double digits....in the first half....:eek:

Lux Interior
07-09-14, 07:44 PM
On the Jim Rome show today, Jim was talking about what a humiliating thumping the Germans put on host nation Brazil. As he was talking, he had Rock You Like a Hurricane by german hard rock band The Scorpions playing in the background. I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes....

RusH
07-09-14, 08:01 PM

Between the hate from Limeys and Brazilians I must re-quote my own self....(nobody has the balls too)

Get over it.

;)

TravelGal
07-10-14, 12:51 PM
Between the hate from Limeys and Brazilians I must re-quote my own self....(nobody has the balls too)

Get over it.

;)

I didn't think your original post had a snowball's chance in Rio, but I'm personally pleased as punch. :D

cameraman
07-10-14, 05:10 PM
How many bazillion takes were required to get this done?

-T7zyezBkuY

RusH
07-10-14, 08:10 PM

RusH
07-12-14, 09:45 AM
Gotta feel for van Gaal.....playing for 3rd is archaic and absurd. Nothing worse than losing twice in a row. FIFA are corrupt idiots...Qatar 2022..yeah:gomer:

RusH
07-13-14, 07:44 AM
I`m fully in agreement that if your colors are not represented you lose interest. So I`m selfishly here. I actually like Germany and have friends;)....

Good luck, danke for your support

WickerBill
07-13-14, 05:53 PM
2010 final was settled by a goal in an extra period, just like this one. But today's game was 100% better to watch; chances all over, tactics, end to end for quite a bit of the match. I was rooting for ze Germans. Felt weird.

Insomniac
07-15-14, 08:59 AM
2010 final was settled by a goal in an extra period, just like this one. But today's game was 100% better to watch; chances all over, tactics, end to end for quite a bit of the match. I was rooting for ze Germans. Felt weird.

I was rooting for Argentina. The margin was razor thin and the difference was the first touch.

Don Quixote
07-16-14, 12:02 PM
http://38.media.tumblr.com/f21d9019c46252d1b191e1b32d9a5ab6/tumblr_n8sauq5jXe1qep5zro1_1280.png

chop456
10-09-14, 12:49 PM
http://viralswarm.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/LsiAqOK.jpg