View Full Version : Daytona 24

Gnam
01-16-14, 03:07 PM
TV schedule for the Daytona 24:

Saturday, Jan. 25
2-4 p.m. ET on FOX
4-9 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 2

Jan. 25-26 (overnight)
9 p.m. - 7 a.m. ET on IMSA.com (includes live images, in-car cameras and announcers)

Sunday, Jan. 26
7 a.m. - 3 p.m. on FOX Sports 1

International television coverage of the Rolex 24 At Daytona will be available in more than 335 million households across 144 countries and territories. Networks carrying Rolex 24 coverage include SPEED (Canada), Fox Sports Latin America, Motors TV (Europe) and Network Ten (Australia), among others.

In addition to the live telecasts, Motor Racing Network will air live flag-to-flag radio coverage and stream live on MRN.com. Live streaming will also be available at IMSA.com and on the FOX Sports GO mobile application for iOS devices. And SiriusXM subscribers can tune into NASCAR Radio (channel 90) starting at 2 p.m. ET.

Andrew Longman
01-16-14, 08:29 PM
Don't need the teevee schedule. The T man and I will be there starting Thursday. :D

TedN
01-17-14, 07:46 PM
Canadian TV schedule here (prnmag.com/gear-tech-guides/tv-listings).

Ted

NismoZ
01-24-14, 11:07 AM
Are you certain you want to watch? Only ONE P2 car faster than ANY of the DPs. Sure, lets see what a tire wear and fuel mileage advantage the P2s may have but that doesn't look much like a "balance" to me. Gurney on the pole in DP, ("Corvettes" 1-2-3, Bourdais fastest in night practice) Goosens puts the SRT Viper on pole in GTLM, followed by Tandy in a 911 RSR, Bomarito in the other SRT Viper then Gavin in the 1st Corvette. THAT'S the race I'll be giving my closest attention! Villander in the Corsa 458 tops in GTD. Forgot what happened in PC but I bet it's an ORECA!:D LOTS of cars, great drivers hope it's a safe success and a better balance is achieved at the top in future events. See some of you "true race fans" at RA?:D

NismoZ
01-24-14, 11:16 AM
That was Colin Braun on pole in PC:thumbup:...and SERIOUSLY, Wayne Taylor suiting up to race with his kids!? Saw that earlier and thought it was a typo...good for him.:thumbup::thumbup:

nissan gtp
01-24-14, 06:03 PM
As expected, the DPs are better at Daytona. The P2s should be better at Sebring.

Gnam
01-25-14, 02:46 AM
IMSA Timing and scoring: http://scoring.imsa.com

ALMS style timing & scoring: http://www.livescoring.us/scoring.php

Spotters guide: http://www.spotterguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/2014-IMSA-Viewing-Guide_1.pdf

Additional links can be found at Racer's resource guide for the Daytona 24:

http://www.racer.com/rolex-24-at-daytona-resource-guide/article/330048/

Qualifying results: http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-242271.html

PC cars faster than P2 cars?

NismoZ
01-25-14, 11:36 AM
P2s "Should"?...be better at Sebring? One would hope. I have no knowledge of what spec changes, if any, will be adopted there but the Sebring test showed DPs with a 10mph advantage into T-17 and a 4 sec./lap time gap. That was not encouraging...to me , at least.:irked: Looks like only the Pickett Racing P2 was faster than Braun's PC...Hmmmm, a PC taking an overall win? Wouldn't THAT be a kick in the pants!

G.
01-25-14, 01:46 PM
As expected, the DPs are better at Daytona.

Lower-tech race cars designed to be optimum at their namesake track.

Where have I heard this before?

rosawendel
01-25-14, 02:54 PM
Re: Corvette - where the heck is Jake?

Update: he's on the hood.

pfc_m_drake
01-25-14, 07:13 PM
Horrible crash for Memo Gidley.
Hoping for the best but fearing the worst :(

Elmo T
01-25-14, 07:22 PM
DVR'ing while cooking dinner - had to play back.

:(

pfc_m_drake
01-25-14, 07:28 PM
I read elsewhere that Marshall Pruett spoke with Bob Stallings who said that Memo was conscious but had severe injuries to his legs. I certainly hope that report is true and that the 'only' injuries are to his legs.

Edit: Apparently that information came from a twitter feed, and there's a lot of confusion surrounding the story. Bottom line, keep thinking positive thoughts for Memo

Gnam
01-26-14, 03:33 AM
Halfway mark:

Gainsco team tweet

Memo Gidley underwent surgery on his left arm and left leg and he is currently under observation and further evaluation at Halifax Health. We will continue to provide updates as they are available.
The crash was very scary. Glad he's not dead.

Gnam
01-26-14, 03:46 AM
#5 Action Express Corvette DP car leading with the #02 Ganassi Ford in second. #90 Spirit of Daytona is on the lead lap in fifth position. The top P2 car is the #6 Muscle Milk Oreca Nissan running in seventh 2laps down.

The #01 Ganassi is 33 laps down after Scott Pruett hit the wall and broke the suspension.

In GTLM the factory Porsche team is first and second with the #4 Corvette in third. The #3 Corvette is behind the wall where they are working on the radiator.

Delta wing is still running, but is down 97 laps.

67 cars started the race. 62 are still running.

cameraman
01-26-14, 06:40 AM
The IMSA feed has died...

Andrew Longman
01-26-14, 07:19 AM
The IMSA feed has died...

http://livescoring.us/scoring.php

Sitting along the fence in T4 after a 4:30 am breakfast at Waffle House. :D

cameraman
01-26-14, 07:24 AM
Video is back. No announcers but mebbe that isn't so bad.

cameraman
01-26-14, 07:52 AM
The booth crew is live on the air and they have no clue. Tommy Kendall is talking about his investment strategies. It's been ten minutes and they are just clueless.

cameraman
01-26-14, 07:56 AM
Now they are running all the clips for the broadcast starting in 5 minutes or so. Ooops they just noticed and switched to a live in car. This is like the Larry Moe and Curly show of tv engineering.:rofl:

Anteater
01-26-14, 01:38 PM
Thank you for the update on Memo, Gnam--that was a horrific crash! :eek:

TravelGal
01-26-14, 02:51 PM
USA Today doesn't paint an encouraging picture but as Gnam said, I'm glad he's not dead. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/2014/01/25/rolex-24-daytona-international-speedway-memo-gidley-crash/4898591/

I always loved Memo. Maybe you shouldn't call a race driver "bubbly" but he was always so ready to smile and chat. A good guy.

cameraman
01-26-14, 05:58 PM
Well his teammates have visited and talked to him so he can't be that bad off. They said long recovery but they also said full recovery.

SteveH
01-26-14, 09:13 PM
By my count that cat has only 7 lives left. Keep dodging bullets Memo

Hard Driver
01-26-14, 10:07 PM
Malucelli looks like he should have not been there. The article I read said he reported to the pits to be without power and "pulled over to the left", but the video I saw looks like he was at a near stop and still on the track. I'm sure the sun glare had soemthing to do with it too, but when your car is dead, get off the middle of a high speed strait, and no where near the racing line. And obviously since Memo was racing on that piece of track, he was on the racing line.

rosawendel
01-26-14, 10:43 PM
By my count that cat has only 7 lives left. Keep dodging bullets Memo

Yeah, I thought of RA immediately.
And, not that it was his fault, but they could have picked anyone to interview after the accident other than Tagliani. I almost expected him to be asked what it was like to hit someone at speed.

Gnam
01-27-14, 02:27 AM
Hats off to the team that managed the merger. This race felt like a reunion. IMSA-mania!* :D

* Nascar yellow with 20 minutes left? C'mon son. :shakehead:

On the plus side, race officials have reversed a BS last lap penalty that would have cost the Level 5 Ferrari a class win in GTD. Rational behavior from management? :eek:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1089918_rolex-24-gtd-last-lap-incident-audis-winkelhock-gives-his-pespective

Gopeddle
01-27-14, 09:27 AM
It was good to see the "IMSA" title return to sports car racing, but it seems to me that the sanctioning body has detuned the ALMS P cars out of the competition.

Rogue Leader
01-27-14, 09:55 AM
Really hope that was not a career ender for Memo.

As for Risi though I just feel bad for them. They are a fast competitive team that seems to always end up in wrecks that completely shred the car. I wonder if they have been rebuilding the same chassis, or have replaced it one or more times? Heck they missed races last year and missed the whole season 2 years ago due to money/damage issues.

Gnam
01-27-14, 02:26 PM
It was good to see the "IMSA" title return to sports car racing, but it seems to me that the sanctioning body has detuned the ALMS P cars out of the competition.
During the race they spoke with Scott Sharp, owner/driver of the Honda HPD ARX P2 cars, about the performance issues. He said the team planned for a lack of downforce under the new rules, but they were caught out by the switch to Continental tires.

Hopefully, the P2 cars can figure out how to be faster on the new tires, or the rules are changed to help them stay competitive.

Gnam
01-27-14, 05:21 PM
Story on Memo. Not much new but the quote from his friend Mike Gausch:

"I visited Memo in the hospital. He will be OK, needs time to heal up, lots of surgery, pins and rods, bionic Memo Gidley coming soon."

http://www.motorsport.com/#!/tusc/news/gidley-remains-in-hospital/

Humor is a good sign.

Gnam
01-27-14, 05:39 PM
More on the P2 cars lack of pace:

A story about the Oak Racing P2 car's race. They were on the pace of the leading DPs, but a failed alternator cost them 16 laps. They feel they could have challenged for the podium. Could just be happy PR talk though.

http://www.motorsport.com/tusc/news/the-oak-racing-morgan-nissan-lm-p2-makes-a-very-promising-debut-at-daytona/

Muscle Milk was a little more discouraged, citing a 10 mph deficit between the DP and P2 cars on the banked turns. That are looking for a little help from the officials to balance the performance.

http://www.motorsport.com/tusc/news/pickett-racing-top-5-finish-in-rolex-24-at-daytona-debut/

Gnam
01-27-14, 05:58 PM
In GTD news, meet the drivers from MOMO NGT Motorsport.

Starting 15th in class, they led some laps in the #30 Porsche 911 GT America, but finished 9th after some brake issues set them back.
http://www.motorsport.com/tusc/news/momo-ngt-motorsport-brings-home-top-10-finish-at-the-rolex-24-at-daytona/

Great group photo, or greatest group photo?
from left: Christina Nielsen, Nicki Thiim, Henrique Cisneros, Kuba Giermaziak
http://s21.postimg.org/wix08iauv/s1_1.jpg
http://www.motorsport.com/#!/tusc/photo/main-gallery/christina-nielsen-nicki-thiim-henrique-cisneros-and-kuba-giermaziak-with-the-momo-girls/?i=8&id=1658161&sz=1&t=grid+girl&s=2

Dvdb
01-27-14, 06:55 PM
Howzahootie!

Love me some Paige Duke.......(brunette in the middle) :p

nrc
01-27-14, 11:07 PM
Good to see some Momo traditions live on. Did they have a spaghetti dinner and which of those girls is Pet of the Year?

cameraman
01-27-14, 11:43 PM
Good to see some Momo traditions live on. Did they have a spaghetti dinner and which of those girls is Pet of the Year?

You could Google the brunette in the middle:eek:

cameraman
01-29-14, 01:02 AM
The Flying Lizards' take on the race and the officiating. Very politically correct but if you rad between the lines...

After a full 24 hours of racing at Daytona International Speedway, Flying Lizard Motorsports was able to place both of its cars in the top-5 in the GT Daytona class at the season opening Rolex 24 at Daytona, the first race of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. The end result was a 2nd place finish for the No. 45 Venezuela / eSilicon Audi R8 LMS of Nelson Canache Jr., Spencer Pumpelly, Markus Winkelhock, and Tim Pappas, and a 5th place finish for the PR Newswire / UBM Tech / eSilicon Audi R8 LMS of Seth Neiman, Dion von Moltke, Filipe Albuquerque, and Alessandro Latif.

Starting from the 18th and 20th positions, the team ran an essentially trouble-free race with both cars, eventually finding itself racing for position with each of its cars in the final two hours. Filipe Albuquerque took the last stint in the No. 35, which had come back to within one lap of the class leaders. In the end he was racing against the Level 5 Motorsports No. 556 Ferrari 458 for 5th position, passing the No. 556 immediately prior to the race's final caution period and then maintaining that position for the final run to the checker. Markus Winkelhock took the final stint in the No. 45 and was able to put on a huge late race battle against the other Level 5 team car, the No. 555. Despite contact in the Bus Stop turn within a few laps of the checker, Markus was able to mount another charge despite a bent right front suspension and broken wheel, swapping the lead back and forth with the No. 555 and attempting one final pass of that car which ultimately ended in the No. 555 forcing Markus to the grass with a half lap remaining and an eventual 2nd place finishing position.

The No. 45 was handed the victory as race control penalized the No. 555 for the move that put the No. 45 in the grass on the last lap. Though the results were declared final following the normal post race tech inspection, the penalty was lifted 3 hours later, making the No. 555 the winner, and the No. 45 second. Controversy about the incident, penalty, and the way the final decision was reached has been substantial. Following a meeting with top officials, team owner and driver of the No. 35 R8 LMS Seth Neiman said "What an emotional roller coaster – a 24-hour race always has these, and this has been one of the toughest. A great fight by Markus with a damaged car provided all of us with a spectacular finish to a deeply competitive race. The entire team and the Audi personnel that worked so hard to get our arms around these new cars in just 75 days should hold their heads high – it is a rare accomplishment in motorsports."

"The sequence of official decisions following the race was a big surprise, as we and Audi had been told the results were final, and did not realize that the supervisory body could make such a delayed ruling. This is a new series and has new rules and policies for all of us. I have asked for clarification of how the supervisory board works and how teams can present their case in situations like this. I think we also need some clarification on whether or not competitors are still required to give racing room in close situations. I have been assured information on both of these topics will be provided. That said, it's time to move on - congratulations to Level 5 – a great race. Now on to Sebring!"

Gnam
01-29-14, 03:00 AM
The Flying Lizards always battle on the last lap. Sometimes it goes their way, sometimes not. They sound disappointed in the process that produced the decision, but it also sounds like they've accepted it and are moving on. The part about requesting more information on how decisions are makes me think they are planning on more tight finishes. :thumbup:

Rogue Leader
01-29-14, 08:34 AM
The Flying Lizards' take on the race and the officiating. Very politically correct but if you rad between the lines...

Sounds like they were less angry about losing the race, and more angry about how it was handled. I don't blame them for that, but I guarantee had the penalty never been levied they probably would have just accepted the result. Especially that we now know both a wheel and suspension piece were broken when Winkelhock tried to make that outside move. Meaning he may well have been headed off track either way by taking that line.

NismoZ
01-29-14, 10:36 AM
Please tell me it wasn't a 'Lizard that ran Jan's Corvette into the wall at the Laguna finish a few years ago? Geez, was there even an investigation into THAT one!? I know there was no penalty...and THIS little tip-toe thing gets the flag thrown? Also... About Level 5...have any of you seen their layout in the paddock? Good LORD...did their name come from that big red transporter!? I think it had just about 5 levels! How can I get invited onto the roof of THAT thing? Not sure but it looked like it might have had a spiral staircase!:D Cruising the paddock with my camera at RA seldom produces TRUCK pictures...until that dual weekend last season! I had NEVER seen a more impressive group a race cars and team setups. I can hardly wait to get back up there this season and despite all my (our) whining I think we may have a winner on our hands. Still hoping. ( PS...quick trip to YouTube confirms it WAS Bergmeister's 'Lizard, Laguna '09...GREAT racing...until the very end...the interview with Jan is outstanding..."hit the wall , broke my tailbone and a couple of ribs...shrugs...came in second." I'm a fan!

cameraman
01-29-14, 02:40 PM
They are not upset about the call going against them, they are upset about a call made in secret after the official results have been posted that has no known process or appeal.

Gnam
01-29-14, 03:30 PM
Scott Elkins explained that the Supervisory Committee that overruled the Race Director is outlined in the rule book.

from post race interview:

Our rule book is very clear in regards to this type of a situation. There is a section in the rule book in many, many places where it mentions a group of supervisory officials. Those officials are named, and it's very clear that when a decision by the race director is one that the super advisory officials feel needs a review, the process for us to do that exists, and that's exactly what's happened here. It's very clearly stated, and it's something that is for cases just like this.

http://www.motorsport.com/tusc/news/level-5-motorsports-wins-rolex-24-for-ferrari/

Compare that to how Indy officials pretended to listen to Team Green's appeal for the 2002 Indy 500 win and then ignored the evidence. IMSA spells out that the Committee is all powerful and all rulings are final.

Gnam
02-04-14, 02:55 AM
:cough: out of date :cough: ;)

http://highrevsphoto.com/home/

JoeBob
02-12-14, 11:57 AM
Memo is apparently doing "much better." What that means? Anybody's guess.

But here's the story: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/2014/02/11/memo-gidley-significant-improvement-since-rolex-24-crash-daytona/5409993/

SteveH
02-12-14, 12:11 PM
Memo is apparently doing "much better." What that means? Anybody's guess.

But here's the story: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/2014/02/11/memo-gidley-significant-improvement-since-rolex-24-crash-daytona/5409993/

"I spoke to Memo today for about 25 minutes on the phone, and I was jubilant in hearing his voice, hearing how clear-headed and articulate he was," said Bob Stallings, owner of Gainsco/Bob Stallings Racing. "He was able to have a great and meaningful conversation. His spirits are high, and he's now fully aware of what has happened to him and what's likely ahead of him in terms of his recovery."

When I read this, it makes me think he was expecting Memo to have had some mental impairment.

cameraman
02-12-14, 01:08 PM
That is one obtuse interview. There is this from Marshall Pruett

"The first facility in Florida put him back together, and the second facility on Northern California will help him heal as quickly as he can and during that process he'll do rehab work to strengthen his body so he can get back to work," he told RACER. "And now that we have him in a place where he can look to the future, we'll take the same opportunity to do that with our team."

IMSA: With Gidley on the mend, Stallings looks to the team's future (http://www.racer.com/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=item&cid=65:tudor-united-sportscar-championship&id=101108:imsa-with-gidley-on-the-mend-stallings-looks-to-the-team-s-future&Itemid=506)

That sounds more like no head injuries just well and truly battered.

TravelGal
04-06-14, 12:33 PM
I rather like Memo Gidley so I looked him up today. March 30 he posted on his website with many, many thanks for support since the accident and that he had taken his first steps on his own with full weight on his legs. He said himself that he has a long way to go. At least he is vertical an moving under his own steam. :thumbup:

Gnam
04-06-14, 01:32 PM
good news :thumbup:

JoeBob
04-07-14, 01:39 PM
That post is crazy!

http://memogidley.com/2014/03/a-thank-you-letter-from-memo/