PDA

View Full Version : Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.

cameraman
01-16-14, 01:16 PM
Here we go again...

Gene Haas, the owner of a huge and very successful CNC machine took company, is the person bidding to enter Formula 1 in 2015 with a team that would be headed by Gunther Steiner... ...Haas is also the owner of the Windshear Inc, which has an F1-style windtunnel in Charlotte, North Carolina, in addition to being a partner in the Stewart Haas Racing NASCAR team, which he has been running since 2002... ...According to Schmidt, Haas is looking to have Dallara build him chassis and wants to use Ferrari engines.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/01/16/haas-planning-a-us-f1-project/

Anybody seen Peter Windsor lately?

Rogue Leader
01-16-14, 01:33 PM
Dallara can continue its history of building complete piece of **** F1 cars... Assuming this Vaporware even gets that far.

Easy
01-17-14, 06:27 PM
I'm sure their are plenty other places to lay the blame besides Dallara, but the HRT was dreadful. Maybe with a reasonable budget they could build something that actually belongs on the grid.

opinionated ow
01-17-14, 08:40 PM
Dallara can make very competitive cars for open competition but without a proper budget ala hrt or similarly Mastercard-Lola they were buggered

Rogue Leader
01-18-14, 12:30 AM
Dallara has had a bunch of opportunities in F1 admittedly none of them high end (they were not involved with MC-Lola), and never put anything really competitive on track. They built the BMS-Scuderia cars which were not complete backmarkers, but they were nothing special. They worked with Midland but never actually built a car, and regarding HRT it was not just the budget that was the problem, a little research found this attributable to technical director Geoff Willis:

And while the Briton admits circumstances were not easy for Dallara, he says the car is simply disappointing and not up to the current F1 standard.

"Frankly I'm disappointed. I was expecting better," Willis told AUTOSPORT about the HRT car.

"There a lot of reasons why this design has been compromised, not least because the programme was stopped and started, stopped and started. So there's quite a lot of corners that were cut in the last few weeks to get to Bahrain.

"But fundamentally I'm disappointed at the level of engineering in the car and I don't think it reflects current F1 practise by quite some margin." ............
"And I'm thinking just of the built quality, the design quality, the refinement of the design. I think it's missing a lot of tricks that would be taken for granted by anybody in the pitlane now."

While its not the whole story I'm sure, building an IndyCar or Sports Car is lightyears behind building an F1 car. If they put a car on track that can keep up with Force India or Sauber then they earn some respect, if they can do better than that then they definitely earn it. Until then they have not put anything out there on the F1 grid worthy of any note. So maybe I was harsh in calling their cars POS, but I'm not that far off.

Insomniac
01-19-14, 07:21 PM
I don't think anyone can start a new team without factory support.

trauma1
01-19-14, 07:32 PM
any thing that has Dullarra making the car is doomed to fail, and agues who works for Haas at wind shear, Ken Anderson of USF1 fame:D:rofl: