PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Car Numbers

Insomniac
01-12-14, 11:51 AM
Numbers have been chosen, and they'll keep these the rest of their career.

Red Bull
1. Sebastian Vettel (5 when not the champion)
3. Daniel Ricciardo

Mercedes
44. Lewis Hamilton
6. Nico Rosberg

Ferrari
14. Fernando Alonso
7. Kimi Raikkonen

Lotus
8. Romain Grosjean
13. Pastor Maldonado

McLaren
22. Jenson Button
20. Kevin Magnussen

Force India
27. Nico Hulkenberg
11. Sergio Perez

Sauber
99. Adrian Sutil
21. Esteban Gutierrez

Toro Rosso
25. Jean Eric Vergne
26. Daniel Kvyat

Williams
19. Felipe Massa
77. Valtteri Bottas

Marussia
17. Jules Bianchi
TBC Max Chilton

Caterham
Both drivers to be confirmed

WickerBill
01-12-14, 12:38 PM
The 3 car was tryin' to lap the 13 and daggum it if the 13 didn't push in the corner and we got ourselves a pile-up! BOOGITY

stroker
01-12-14, 02:03 PM
I like the old AMA system where the reigning WDC gets #1. Former champs get a single digit number of their choosing forever and everybody else gets what they're given.

Elmo T
01-12-14, 03:02 PM
I saw the headline this AM and thought it was the dumbest thing ever. After, of course, double point races. :saywhat:

But reading deeper, most of the numbers have some direct meaning to the drivers. :thumbup:

Gnam
01-13-14, 01:40 AM
99. Adrian Sutil
Sacrilege! :irked:

cameraman
01-13-14, 04:42 AM
I would not be too surprised if Adrian Sutil knew very little about CART.

chop456
01-13-14, 05:28 AM
I love that guy. :laugh:

The famously unemotional Raikkonen said he picked seven because "it's the number I already had last year and I saw no reason to change it".

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/25694748

opinionated ow
01-13-14, 06:51 AM
I think it is a bit of a wank...as I think I said once before, most sports that number competitors do it based on ranking or order of registration with the exception of the world champion/world leader/series leader etc. If F1 wants to be taken seriously as a sport all these gimmicks (numbers, drs, double points, unlapping on restarts etc.) need to be removed and a straight race without external intervention run notwithstanding penalties.

Insomniac
01-13-14, 02:03 PM
I think it is a bit of a wank...as I think I said once before, most sports that number competitors do it based on ranking or order of registration with the exception of the world champion/world leader/series leader etc. If F1 wants to be taken seriously as a sport all these gimmicks (numbers, drs, double points, unlapping on restarts etc.) need to be removed and a straight race without external intervention run notwithstanding penalties.

At least here in the states, in every major sport, the players pick their own numbers.

Easy
01-13-14, 05:48 PM
Bottom line, this allows for additional branding and merch opportunities. As we all know, $$ (or £, €, ¥) trumps just about everything in F1.

nissan gtp
01-13-14, 07:40 PM
if a driver loses his ride, is his number then available ?

opinionated ow
01-13-14, 11:49 PM
At least here in the states, in every major sport, the players pick their own numbers.

i'm not talking team sports though; i'm talking of sports in the vein of athletics, triathlon, cycling etc. i.e. sports that are decided over a race.

Mary
01-14-14, 07:30 AM
Don't the teams own the numbers in NASCAR?

Mary

Rogue Leader
01-14-14, 04:28 PM

Probably lose it if they don't renew their super license.

Insomniac
01-15-14, 07:27 PM

I'd guess some time delay before someone can grab it to avoid someone taking it and them coming back.

Insomniac
01-15-14, 07:29 PM
i'm not talking team sports though; i'm talking of sports in the vein of athletics, triathlon, cycling etc. i.e. sports that are decided over a race.

Those are all events that have hundreds or thousands of competitors. It's impractical and pointless to let them pick a number.