PDA

View Full Version : Say, How 'bout This WEATHER?

Pages : [1] 2

NismoZ
01-06-14, 11:42 AM
Have to tell you, I'm a little stunned. First, how does a dog, who is part Husky, know to REFUSE to go out in the morning? She had no TV, radio or inner web access to judge conditions and she flat said NO to the morning run! Says -18 with -43 chill here so I hardly blame her but interesting behavior! Never did that before. She's 8, a Rocky Mountain rescue from WEST of Boulder, El Dora area... her behavior surprised me a little. Secondly, FIFTY-FIVE in NYC!? The weather map has never looked crazier...that I can remember. Whole interstates closed around here. Hope ALL of you are safe and warm and PLEASE consider those pets, even at the end of a leash. Safe not sorry!:thumbup:

cameraman
01-06-14, 11:45 AM
The folks in Siberia thank you midwesterners/Canadians for taking all their cold this season...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdTYyvBCMAAemaa.png

Elmo T
01-06-14, 12:16 PM
It was 56F and rising this AM. The truck fogged up completely when I backed out of my freezing cold garage. :rolleyes:

Headed down to -5F tonight not counting the wind chill - which I know is balmy for some of you. But a 50F+ degree change in 12 hours is crazy.

Napoleon
01-06-14, 12:23 PM
I have a real bad feeling about rush hour. It was warm and rained here in Cleveland yesterday afternoon and overnight, now it is snowing and is headed to under zero. When I came in at 7 am to work the roads were very wet and snow covered. I could easily see one big sheet of black ice stretching from Sandusky to Ashtabula come 5 pm today.

cameraman
01-06-14, 12:25 PM
From central Florida to Minnesota is a 110°F temperature differential. :eek:

WickerBill
01-06-14, 12:51 PM
-12f here in Indy, and supposedly tonight we will be the fifth or sixth coldest place on earth. Yesterday it was 37 degrees at my house and snowing incredibly hard. That was a new one to me.

KLang
01-06-14, 01:00 PM
Report on CNN this morning said mayor of Indy declared driving on the streets is for emergency use only. True? :saywhat:

Napoleon
01-06-14, 01:07 PM
From central Florida to Minnesota is a 110°F temperature differential. :eek:

The guy whose office is next to mine just drove back and got in late yesterday from central Florida (plane schedules were a mess and they opted to forget trying to get rescheduled and rented and drove back yesterday).

Talk about a welcome home

:rofl:

WickerBill
01-06-14, 01:13 PM
Report on CNN this morning said mayor of Indy declared driving on the streets is for emergency use only. True? :saywhat:

True. And he has requested (not a demand...yet) that schools close for tomorrow as well.... Tuesday morning temps will be worse than today and of course you can't make kids stand outside in this and wait for buses.

Napoleon
01-06-14, 01:28 PM
^^^

It is nuts not to cancel with that type of cold.

SteveH
01-06-14, 01:41 PM
http://indot.carsprogram.org/main.jsf

Indiana traveler information

TKGAngel
01-06-14, 01:44 PM
I have a real bad feeling about rush hour. It was warm and rained here in Cleveland yesterday afternoon and overnight, now it is snowing and is headed to under zero. When I came in at 7 am to work the roads were very wet and snow covered. I could easily see one big sheet of black ice stretching from Sandusky to Ashtabula come 5 pm today.

Do y'all get a lot of lake effect down at your end of Lake Erie? South Buffalo and our southern suburbs could get over 3 feet by the time the storm is over. The wind chills are expected to drop to -40 tomorrow, too.

NismoZ
01-06-14, 02:38 PM
And then there's the little things, too. Hell living on a cul-de-sac that obviously does NOT appear on the city map down at Streets and Sanitation! Strange how, after waiting hours for the falling snow to abate, OR the arrival of a city plow, (that regularly drive past on the main street:irked) that mere MINUTES after a marathon of shoveling/blowing, this monster front-loader thing with a blade arrives...and OF COURSE before I can suit-up and get out front to perform my best Tianiman Square stand of defiance...all six driveways are plowed back in and both sidewalk exits to the main drag are covered with ( NO exaggeration) 5-6 feet of snow! I actually like the workout snow removal provides but COME ON! I may TUNNEL a path later, just for the hell of it. Supposed to get up to -12 today! Yippee!

Napoleon
01-06-14, 02:42 PM
Do y'all get a lot of lake effect down at your end of Lake Erie?

A qualified yes.

It all depends on how the wind comes off the lake, but as a general matter in the area of Cuyahoga County (where Cleveland is located) where the eastern suburbs of Cleveland are located to the county directly east of Cuyahoga and east are snow belt country where what is west is not. I am pretty much in the middle of the broad dividing line between snow belt/non-snow belt being that I live in far eastern Cuyahoga County. Ohio is roughly heart shaped which means that if the wind shifts direction slightly a place not all that far from the shore will go from getting wet air from the lake to getting dry wind from over land, even though the wind is out of a northerly direction while some place 4 miles east is suffering Armageddon. Plus the ground gets higher as you go east from Cleveland which squeezes the moisture out of the air (Chardon about 1/3 of the way from Cleveland to the PA border is real high and famously gets some big numbers most years for snow).

So pretty much if you are a weather person who wants to develop ulcers or a drinking habit, this is where you want to be working and not in San Diego where you could mail in next year’s forecast today.

In any event the snow warnings are for Cuyahoga and east in the direction of you, but I have not heard any big numbers for snow. I think at worse over the next 2 days in some areas are maybe 6 inches. But with the wind there ought to be some pretty big drifts.

One benefit to this cold snap is that it will seal off the snow machine by freezing over a big chunk of the lake. I was down at it Saturday and it was slushed over at the shore, so it is close to turning (the white beyond the tree that you see in the picture is around a foot thick slush on the lake).

dando
01-06-14, 05:02 PM
Do y'all get a lot of lake effect down at your end of Lake Erie? South Buffalo and our southern suburbs could get over 3 feet by the time the storm is over. The wind chills are expected to drop to -40 tomorrow, too.

We get lake effect snow in Cbus from Lake Michigan and Lake Erie depending on the wind direction and strength....although nothing like you or Nappy sees.

dando
01-06-14, 05:19 PM
-5 here now...headed to -11 tonight. Furnace running constantly. tOSU closed today and tomorrow. I can only remember 2-3 closures since 1977. :eek:

Napoleon
01-06-14, 06:00 PM
Dominion East Ohio Gas has requested that its customers attempt to conserve. I closed down some rooms before I left this morning on the assumption that it was better to make sure the furnace could keep up with the rooms I need to use.

Gnam
01-06-14, 06:11 PM
Tomorrow's weather forecast is Hoth,
with scattered probe droids, periods of intense ice creatures, and a 10% chance of imperial walkers.

http://s27.postimg.org/eibclr89f/KGr_Hq_N_h_ME5oer_Qd_INBOg_Q_MRv_EQ_60_35.jpg

Andrew Longman
01-06-14, 08:14 PM
I remember 1978 or 79 when for I think nine weeks in a row it did not at any time get above zero in Marquette Michigan and all the Great Lakes froze all the way across for the first time in human history. That was before 24 hour cable news and the internet so the "hysteria" didn't last much past dawn when people said, "crap, another cold day".

Maybe I just forgot something. That said it is a bit weird to go from 60 today to 0 tonight.

TKGAngel
01-06-14, 08:35 PM
Tomorrow's weather forecast is Hoth,
with scattered probe droids, periods of intense ice creatures, and a 10% chance of imperial walkers.

http://s27.postimg.org/eibclr89f/KGr_Hq_N_h_ME5oer_Qd_INBOg_Q_MRv_EQ_60_35.jpg

Funny you should mention that…Mythbusters on Saturday tried to verify whether you could use a recently deceased Taun Taun to ward off hypothermia. I won't spoil what they did, but if you can catch this episode, it's worth it. They all clearly had a ball filming it.

We are currently under a blizzard warning until Wednesday morning. :eek:

Gnam
01-06-14, 09:02 PM
I vote yes.

http://s12.postimg.org/tg1c2mk99/star_wars_sleeping_bag.jpg

And for getting to work in the morning...
http://gizmodo.com/5432936/the-japanese-snuggie-devolves-humans-into-giant-two+legged-tadpoles

http://s29.postimg.org/omxnfre07/sbag05.jpg

cameraman
01-06-14, 09:09 PM
And the National Weather Service felt that they needed to post this up cuz of the innerwebs...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdU4xxiCQAABqpi.png:large

Napoleon
01-06-14, 09:15 PM
^^^

I think someone just wanted to draw those shapes on a piece of paper. They don't happen to have 12 year old boys working there, do they.

So its -9 per my home thermometer (which has always seemed real accurate) and the house is making bumping/popping sounds every now and then.

gerhard911
01-06-14, 09:46 PM
I remember 1978 or 79 when for I think nine weeks in a row it did not at any time get above zero in Marquette Michigan and all the Great Lakes froze all the way across for the first time in human history. That was before 24 hour cable news and the internet so the "hysteria" didn't last much past dawn when people said, "crap, another cold day".

Maybe I just forgot something. That said it is a bit weird to go from 60 today to 0 tonight.

Ah, the "Blizzard of '78". I remember it well. A huge ice storm followed by inches and inches of snow. Sub-freezing temps for weeks.

As a graduate teaching assistant at the U of Cincy I lived within walking distance of campus while the professor I was assigned to lived on the other side of the river. He was a successful real estate developer who got a "guest lecturer" deal for an undergrad real estate class based on his business experience. Unfortunately, he was only interested in access to the Faculty Club to schmooze business associates.

For about three weeks straight he called me at ~6am on class days (M-W-F) to let me know that I would have to conduct his 8 am class. Slogging across a frozen campus to pretend to know jack about real estate to an undeserving audience was an eye opening experience. The students were surprisingly understanding and after the quarter ended the Dean apologized for putting me in that situation and bounced the developer without any access to the Faculty Club.

Tifosi24
01-06-14, 10:19 PM
Dominion East Ohio Gas has requested that its customers attempt to conserve. I closed down some rooms before I left this morning on the assumption that it was better to make sure the furnace could keep up with the rooms I need to use.

That is not good at all, someone as the utility botched their nominations. You should all be glad that this is really a one day, maybe two, event. I think you would be in for some trouble if it were the 1996 event which last four days.

Napoleon
01-07-14, 05:44 AM
That is not good at all, someone as the utility botched their nominations.

What do you mean by that?

First they claim (I know, why believe) they have no supply issues and two, even without that I happen to know they have significant local "re-injection" ability so that their inventory of gas for events like this should already be sitting underground nearby after being shipped into NE Ohio months or years ago.

Tifosi24
01-07-14, 10:10 AM
What do you mean by that?

First they claim (I know, why believe) they have no supply issues and two, even without that I happen to know they have significant local "re-injection" ability so that their inventory of gas for events like this should already be sitting underground nearby after being shipped into NE Ohio months or years ago.

The nominations are the local utility's expected usage projection that they supply to the wholesale pipelines. Normally, missing the nomination will have no impact, or just result in additional cost, but on extremely cold days it can result in a lack of gas availability. It is possible that your utility's call for conservation could be related to certain interruptible customers (that declaration was made here but confused by the media outlets), in which case there probably isn't an issue with deliverability on the system. However, if the utility made a blanket call for conservation to all customers, then there are, or they are worried about, significant reliability issues. I forgot about all the production and storage available in Ohio and Western PA, but if usage is extremely high they might not be able to fully use the storage as a backup because most storage facilities have a daily limit to how much can be withdrawn to maintain integrity.

An all-time record usage was set in our region a few days back, and may have been topped yesterday, but when you factor in customer growth and the fact that temperatures weren't as bad as expected, there weren't any issues, so I am hoping the same can be true for those further east.

Elmo T
01-07-14, 10:22 AM
-4 this AM with wind chills far below. Very windy over night.

Weather geeks saying this may be the single coldest but very sunny day we will see for a long time. Honestly, I haven't seen blue skies like these since September.

No talk of serious power issues either electric or gas. Some localized power outages from downed trees and people crashing into poles. :rolleyes:

WickerBill
01-07-14, 10:30 AM
WC is -33 here currently. Also bright sunny skies. Supposed to begin a massive warmup starting around noon today. This weekend calls for 45 degrees and lots of rain.

Get your sump pumps ready, Indy.

Napoleon
01-07-14, 11:18 AM
Tifosi,

Well we will see. My impression was from the way they worded things was that their concern was more along the lines of "what if we get hit a couple of more times like this" but they never came right out and said it, just, to me, hinted. I distinctly recall the last time it was this bad about 20 years ago, which I swear was a fairly long snap (like a week), and at a certain point there was, to me at least, a perceptible drop off in the amount of heat I could get out of my furnace and someone I was, just fortuitously, working with at the time on a work project at a natural gas supplier (ie, the owner of the actual wells here in NE Ohio) said it was likely that they had kicked in a supply of gas from Texas or someplace they had stored locally underground that had all the high BTU stuff (like propane) stripped out of it prior to being piped to Ohio, so I was burning the same amount of gas just not getting as much heat. That may have been 4, 5 or 6 days into it before the heat output (ie, local back up supply) kicked in.

If we could make it through that snap these 3 days should be OK (I guess assuming nothing has changed in 20 years).

NismoZ
01-07-14, 12:11 PM
Wow! Woke up yesterday and found to my amazement the plowed-in sidewalks had been opened! (barely...not Roger Penske neat but passable) Went to the neighbors to inquire who, besides ME, was dumb enough to take on THAT job. Little ol' lady across the court said she didn't think I should have to do it... again...so she just called The City! Why didn't I think of that?:rolleyes: Thank goodness for "Community Service!" I was told about 6 young(ish) boys AND girls arrived in a couple of vans, armed with shovels, and made short work of the problem! Seems they'd rather perform this little act of "kindness" instead of spending the next few weekends in JAIL! Good choice...I hear a few of them looked like they NEEDED a little workout!

TKGAngel
01-07-14, 12:59 PM
Current weather warnings: blizzard warning, wind chill warning and a flash flood warning. (Yes, one of those things is not like the other.) The storm shoved ice over the ice boom at the Lake Erie/Niagara River junction and now the water intakes at the power authority in Niagara Falls have ice jams…which is causing flooding.

I'm leaving when the locusts arrive.

Napoleon
01-07-14, 05:39 PM
Regarding my picture above of Lake Erie, I talked to someone with an office downtown from which you can look out over the lake and he says today but for some area near one of the breakwalls he can not see open water any longer.

Gnam
01-07-14, 06:54 PM
Regarding my picture above of Lake Erie, I talked to someone with an office downtown from which you can look out over the lake and he says today but for some area near one of the breakwalls he can not see open water any longer.
Next you'll be telling us there's a trapped Russian research vessel out there. ;)

Napoleon
01-08-14, 05:46 AM
Next you'll be telling us there's a trapped Russian research vessel out there. ;)

We have to worry about the Canadians here, not the Russians.

Elmo T
01-08-14, 09:16 AM
From the NWS this AM:

An ice jam has formed on the Delaware River around Trenton. The river level has risen significantly in that vicinity. However, we think that it should remain below flood stage.

6F but the lack of wind has made a big difference. :thumbup:

And this gem - which I will admit, I did do this with the kids - minus the burn injuries!

At least 50 scalded by boiling-to-frozen water trick (http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-boiling-snow-20140107,0,6070776.story)

Over Monday and Tuesday, the Los Angeles Times counted at least 50 people on social media who reported burning themselves or their friends after trying to turn boiling water into snow. There were also several reports of people going to the hospital to receive treatment for burns.

chop456
01-08-14, 09:42 AM
I did not burn myself. :thumbup:

cameraman
01-08-14, 10:50 AM
All things being equal I would much rather have the arctic vortex any day...

100,000 bats fall dead from the sky during a heatwave in Australia (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10558183/100000-bats-fall-dead-from-the-sky-during-a-heatwave-in-Australia.html)
Australia's heatwave has been blamed for causing 100,000 bats to drop from the sky, with the smell of rotting carcasses filling towns
...Health experts have warned residents not to touch the dead creatures amid concerns about the spread of virus or bites and scratches from bats that may still be alive. At least 16 people have been are receiving antiviral treatment after coming into close contact with a bat. "If you find a bat it is very important not to touch it because of the risk of infection with Australian bat lyssavirus," the state's chief health officer, Dr Jeannette Young, told APN.

Um yeah, the cold isn't sooo bad.

dando
01-08-14, 01:14 PM
All things being equal I would much rather have the arctic vortex any day...

100,000 bats fall dead from the sky during a heatwave in Australia (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10558183/100000-bats-fall-dead-from-the-sky-during-a-heatwave-in-Australia.html)

Um yeah, the cold isn't sooo bad.

That's just bat **** crazy. :gomer:

Elmo T
01-08-14, 10:21 PM
Not looking good along the river with ice jams. Flood warnings posted for our county and north in Lehigh County.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2dcft5e.png

Andrew Longman
01-08-14, 10:59 PM
Ice jams, and debris jams - especially against bridges - has been a cause of very serious flooding on the Delaware over the years. The worst impact is often downstream when the jam frees. It has the effect similar to flushing a giant toilet upon everything downstream. A sudden release of a jam is thought to have made the flood of '55 so bad.

TravelGal
01-09-14, 12:50 AM
It has the effect similar to flushing a giant toilet upon everything downstream.

Just love a good simile. Or that a metaphor? Never could get those two straight. Analogy???

WickerBill
01-09-14, 05:29 AM
Haha. That's an analogy.

Gnam
01-09-14, 01:03 PM
Can you dynamite a ice jam to break it up, like ski resorts do to start small avalanches, or do you have to wait for nature to take its course?

Napoleon
01-09-14, 01:19 PM
Can you dynamite a ice jam to break it up, like ski resorts do to start small avalanches, or do you have to wait for nature to take its course?

The rivers here in the Cleveland area jam up and cause flooding every once and a while and though I don’t recall hearing that they use dynamite it makes all kinds of sense to try to do something to try and keep it from plugging with ice. I wouldn’t be surprised though if using it really isn’t all that effective. Usually when those rivers are getting plugged it is because there in an incredible amount of ice in them. I would guess it would do nothing more than push it around.

TKGAngel
01-09-14, 01:44 PM

Most of the jams we get around here rely on nature to take it's course, mainly because they're happening in creeks and other areas near civilization. The ice jam in the river near our power inlets has ice cutters from both sides of the border trying to cut through the ice and break it up.

KLang
01-12-14, 03:16 PM
5t9MpNTSbYg

:eek:

Gnam
01-13-14, 02:03 AM
Here's an article about the collapse. Glad no one was hurt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2538250/Horror-building-collapses-North-Carolina-backyard-violent-storm.html

I don't know if it was the same failure mechanism, but the way that building on the left collapsed reminded me of the residential buildings that fell down in the 1989 San Francisco earthquake. The garages on the first floor were called "soft stories" because they weren't built as rigid as the upper floors. When the shaking started, the first floors collapsed and the rest of the buildings fell over. None of them disintegrated though.

Gnam
01-13-14, 02:19 AM
http://youtu.be/paQFaQj15Uc

Elmo T
01-13-14, 12:22 PM
Buildings under construction are frequently precarious until well framed in. The sheathing serves as part of the bracing and support in some cases.

I was out on this just last week:

Construction Worker Airlifted To Hospital After Building Collapse (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/24412130/construction-worker-airlifted-to-hospital-after-building-collapse)

http://i40.tinypic.com/mrelfs.jpg

dando
01-21-14, 05:36 AM
Weee... :saywhat:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/21/us/winter-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Jim Cantore ‏@JimCantore 26m
VERY HIGH IMPACT #travel event especially for evening rush along I-95 corridor. #DC #Baltimore #Philly #NYC advancing through #Boston late.
Retweeted by Stephanie Abrams

Andrew Longman
01-21-14, 07:35 AM

Ok I know I am really some weird a Jersey Yooper but I am poolside in 70 degree Houston sad I am missing the snowstorm at home. I love snow and cold and actual weather you notice. :gomer:

I don't though need the now four email, four texts, and four automated phone calls at 5 am telling me my sons school will have early dismissal

TravelGal
01-21-14, 10:42 AM

You know they expect it to be bad when the airlines start waiving change fees 12 hours in advance of the arrival of the storm (as they did last night).

Elmo T
01-21-14, 11:46 AM
. I love snow and cold and actual weather you notice. :gomer:

Here is the latest of what you are missing :saywhat:

http://i41.tinypic.com/e16z34.png

cameraman
01-21-14, 12:21 PM
And out here the air hasn't moved in a week and the pollution is reaching Beijing levels. I'd greatly prefer the snow.

Andrew Longman
01-21-14, 12:52 PM
Here is the latest of what you are missing :saywhat:You are pretty much at ground zero.

I am now getting more calls about an even earlier school closing

Elmo T
01-21-14, 01:16 PM
It is the bombogenesis (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/01/21/264496001/what-is-this-bombogenesis-and-why-is-it-dumping-snow-on-us) :eek:;)

dando
01-21-14, 01:32 PM
-4 actual tonight with -15 to -20 wind chill tonight and -5 Thursday night...and yet another clipper Thurs AM and another Saturday. :saywhat:

cameraman
01-21-14, 01:35 PM
Otherwise known as winter...

http://www.weather.com/news/science/environment/deep-freeze-weather-wimps-20140110

Seems people have a very poor memory when it come to weather conditions.

dando
01-21-14, 01:52 PM
Otherwise known as winter...

http://www.weather.com/news/science/environment/deep-freeze-weather-wimps-20140110

Seems people have a very poor memory when it come to weather conditions.

Ummm, no. I grew up during the blizzard of '77 here...-20 and -19 below actual in the late 70s and early 80s. I'm just becoming a grumpy old man. :saywhat: Not to mention shoveling 2' of snow by hand ~3 years ago when the snow blower was broke. When I had it fixed the following season, we barely had any snow. And of course, I'll kvetch when it's 90 and humid in July. :irked:

Gnam
01-21-14, 04:00 PM
California is now accepting donations of electricity and water. ;)
All your drought are belong to us.

Almaden Reservoir outside San Jose, CA
http://s13.postimg.org/teeee44qv/346359_California_drought.jpg

Folsom Lake outside Sacramento, CA
(the girls are standing at what used to be the shoreline)
http://s23.postimg.org/j7b3ya1ob/628x471.jpg

Lake Shasta up by the Oregon border is down 153 feet.
http://s30.postimg.org/de7dtpy1t/shasta640a.jpg

cameraman
01-21-14, 04:54 PM
We are not that bad off but for the third year in a row we are well below normal in terms of snowpack. Overall for the state we are at 77% of normal. It is starting to add up (or not as it were), all the reservoirs are noticeably low but nothing like those in CA.

datachicane
01-21-14, 07:35 PM
I spent the weekend camping at the coast with the family.

For those who haven't seen it, the Oregon coast in winter generally resembles nothing so much as the inside of a chilly, blustery 5-month car wash. Still, if you like big highway-breaching waves and giant logs thrown through the odd timeshare lobby, it's a good time, as long as you've got plenty of hot coffee and alcohol, aren't prone to SAD, and don't own any firearms.

The ocean out of Newport was dead calm all weekend and temps were in the low 60s F. Not a cloud in the sky. Gorgeous red sunsets. This stuff ain't all that common in the Summer, let alone January.

Elmo T
01-22-14, 03:49 PM
Another 2-4" for this weekend and chance of another coastal storm for Monday. :laugh:

The only thing worse than the weather is the TV weather desk: flashing red backgrounds, all hands on deck, live video from TV trucks driving empty roads, rulers in the snow, man-on-the-street interviews of the poor souls waiting for SEPTA train running 2 hours late, no-stop ALL WEATHER ALL THE TIME STORM COVERAGE. :rolleyes::yuck:

There are several "semi-pro" local weather outlets on the web and they've hit home runs with almost every forecast this season. :thumbup:

Gnam
01-22-14, 08:17 PM
Tow-plow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkmBP-ISzKk

TKGAngel
01-22-14, 08:40 PM
The only thing worse than the weather is the TV weather desk: flashing red backgrounds, all hands on deck, live video from TV trucks driving empty roads, rulers in the snow, man-on-the-street interviews of the poor souls waiting for SEPTA train running 2 hours late, no-stop ALL WEATHER ALL THE TIME STORM COVERAGE. :rolleyes::yuck:

And the closings, don't forget the crawls of the closings. The entire DMA must know that Our Lady of the Holy Legion Post has cancelled bingo or the meat raffle or that Pretty Polliwog's School of PilaYogaTap has cancelled classes.

Tifosi24
01-22-14, 11:00 PM
Tow-plow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkmBP-ISzKk

I don't need to watch the video to know it would be just as annoying as the 5mph echelon plow formation during rush hour. Another -20F night here with -30 to -40F wind chills means no school for the kiddos (and my wife).

dando
01-27-14, 02:09 PM
-13 here tonight, -10 tomorrow night. :saywhat:

KLang
01-27-14, 02:40 PM
They are predicting rain/sleet/ice/snow for here tomorrow. We already had a day like that last week. :cry:

RaceGrrl
01-27-14, 02:47 PM
Snow rollers on the lake behind my office... Had no idea what they were until I saw this story on local news:

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/01/27/snow-rollers-form-in-field-in-fairfield-county-ohio.html

dando
01-27-14, 02:53 PM
Snow rollers on the lake behind my office... Had no idea what they were until I saw this story on local news:

Yeah, they are everywhere. The Scioto is covered with them north of the Fishinger Bridge and Griggs Reservoir.

TravelGal
01-27-14, 03:12 PM
I have only one question: are they compact enough to use for a snowman?

Napoleon
01-27-14, 03:16 PM
Had no idea what they were until I saw this story on local news

I never heard of those before or seen them but that is similar to conditions that lead to avalanches.

SteveH
01-27-14, 04:11 PM

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/01/27/snow-rollers-form-in-field-in-fairfield-county-ohio.html

Excuse me but I just went with City Slickers when I saw this...

Rollin', rollin', rollin',
keep them dogies rollin',
man my ass is swollen, Rawhide!

Get 'em up, move 'em out,
wake 'em up, get 'em dressed,
get 'em shaved, comb their hair, Rawhide!

Tie me down,
tell me lies,
pull my hair,
smack my thighs - with a big wet strap of, Rawhide!

Gnam
01-27-14, 04:48 PM

Nice try science. Clearly, Ohio is haunted and these "rollers" are the work of snow ghosts.

cameraman
01-27-14, 05:00 PM

Rare in Ohio perhaps but not nearly so rare in Wyoming.

dando
01-27-14, 05:45 PM
Rare in Ohio perhaps but not nearly so rare in Wyoming.

They are rare in the midwest period. I remember seeing them ~20 years ago The winds that we've had the past weeks haven't happened since the Blizard of 1978.

Andrew Longman
01-27-14, 06:36 PM
They are predicting rain/sleet/ice/snow for here tomorrow. We already had a day like that last week. :cry:I just got into town and my client has already closed the office for tomorrow.

I could have staying in Daytona (or gone home) and phoned it in as I will be doing from a hotel room tomorrow.

dando
01-27-14, 09:57 PM
These snow rolls re like Tribbles...they are freaking eVERYWHERE. :eek:

TravelGal
01-28-14, 01:46 AM
These snow rolls re like Tribbles...they are freaking eVERYWHERE. :eek:

That's the trouble with them. ;)

KLang
01-28-14, 07:57 AM
The Winter Storm Warning Has Been Cancelled

Ooops, they already canceled everything. :rolleyes:

Had a feeling this was going to happen after all the predictions of DOOM.

TravelGal
01-28-14, 11:32 AM
Ooops, they already canceled everything. :rolleyes:

Had a feeling this was going to happen after all the predictions of DOOM.

Not everything. "Delta Air Lines officials say more than 1,800 flights have been canceled ahead of a winter storm expected to pelt areas of the Southeast with sleet and snow. Delta spokeswoman Betsy Talton says 1,850 flights have been canceled system-wide Tuesday beginning at 11 a.m. Of that number, Talton says 840 flights from Atlanta have been affected.

The airline is offering travelers the opportunity to make one-time changes to their tickets without a fee if they're traveling through Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, the Carolinas and Texas. Delta officials expected service to be affected between Jan. 28 and 29, and replacement tickets must be reissued by Feb. 1."

AA has done the same.

G.
01-28-14, 03:39 PM
Any recommendations for a real winter coat? Maybe on that is heavier than a hoodie?

Been looking for one of the g.'s, and want to get him a real coat**, maybe down, and all I can find are the light-weight Columbia's for too much cost/value. I do believe I need to expand my search a bit.

** not that he'll wear it much. The best i can usually do is get him to wear 2 hoodies with his shorts. :shakehead: Teens.

Elmo T
01-28-14, 04:30 PM
Any recommendations for a real winter coat? Maybe on that is heavier than a hoodie?

Carhartt (http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomeView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10101&fullsite=)

If coats are a problem - and my family seldom wears them :rolleyes: - try a different approach.

While I was not a believer for many years - invest in a pair of silk long underwear :gomer:. They've kept me warm on many long cold incidents. Fits easily under street clothes. I can go with that plus a shirt and sweater or sweatshirt on all but the coldest of days. We are at 18 today and the coat stays in the truck.

Don Quixote
01-28-14, 04:32 PM
Carhartt (http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomeView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10101&fullsite=)

Damn straight. :thumbup:

Gnam
01-28-14, 05:00 PM

Been looking for one of the g.'s, and want to get him a real coat**, maybe down

$79 @ Cabela's: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Woodsman-Fleece-Lined-Down-Parka-Regular/1386527.uts

$79 @ LL Bean: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75141?feat=506673-GN3&page=goose-down-jacket

$119 @ Cabela's: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1621729&type=product&MDK=dynbanP_SL&MDC=cat104172480

$129 Carhartt: http://dungarees.net/product_Carhartt_100109_Down_Kalkaska_Snorkel_Park a%7CARG%7C-4744-1.html?id=38411049792&gclid=CIXu16LeobwCFa10Qgodq1gA1g

Tifosi24
01-28-14, 05:18 PM
I will concur with the Carhartt, in terms of functionality, there isn't a better brand outside of really expensive ski brands. Unfortunately, they aren't appropriate office attire. I do have a lined Carhartt hooded sweatshirt, and that will keep you warm down to about zero with appropriate layers underneath, so, if hooded sweatshirts are his thing, that is another option.

Don Quixote
01-29-14, 10:34 AM
I think traffic snarls caused by snow in the south are awesome. Reminds of snowstorms in Colorado when the 200,000 people that moved here from California get out on the road.

Napoleon
01-29-14, 02:05 PM
I think traffic snarls caused by snow in the south are awesome.

One of the local traffic reporters, around 5 am this morn, after giving the local report including what cameras were showing around town, cut live to 2 cameras in Atlanta (same time zone as me) and both showed traffic that had been there since last evenings rush hour at a dead stop.

Elmo T
01-29-14, 03:16 PM
Atlanta Mayor on CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/29/us/winter-weather/)

Asked who was at fault, he said, "I'm not to get into that blame game, but the crisis that we're going through is across the region. So, if you look at anybody's street in any community across the entire region, there's no one who's doing any better job than we're doing in the city of Atlanta."

We are handling it as poorly as everyone else?

Andrew Longman
01-29-14, 07:39 PM
To be fair to Atlanta the mayor couldnt teach more people how to drive in two friggin inches of snow.

And he could have called Armageddon earlier like they did in Houston and risk looking like idiots when nothing happened.

What a nightmare.

Napoleon
01-30-14, 06:05 AM
On NBC news last night Al Roker went through the various warnings and watches the NWS called in the Atl area and made a complete liar out of the public officials down there that have been blaming the NWS for not calling the storm.

SteveH
01-30-14, 08:53 AM
On NBC news last night Al Roker went through the various warnings and watches the NWS called in the Atl area and made a complete liar out of the public officials down there that have been blaming the NWS for not calling the storm.

Saw that, a whole bunch of people got thrown under the bus. The resulting spin today should be interesting.

cameraman
01-31-14, 03:16 PM
Of course on this side of the Rockies thing are a bit warmer and a whole lot drier.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/drought.jpg

Very deserving of a :eek:

stroker
01-31-14, 08:12 PM
Just in time for Friday rush hour we had freezing drizzle here in mid-Missouri. I saw a guy in a Toyota Echo make three complete spins on a straight section of road in town. A freaking mess, no matter how you slice it. The sheet metal carnage I expect will be truly impressive. Hope nobody gets seriously hurt...

Elmo T
02-03-14, 09:48 AM
4-8" of snow on tap for today, but the storm is "over performing" per the weather folks. Not that the forecast was under-reported, the storm is over-performing. :saywhat::rofl:

And then we get rain, accumulating ice, and snow for Tue/Wed.

Another storm for this weekend, but they aren't even making SWAGs at this point.

cameraman
02-03-14, 11:55 AM
There's a storm coming in theory at least. Currently there isn't a cloud in the sky from horizon to horizon so ymmv.

Elmo T
02-05-14, 06:18 PM
Holy Ice Storms! :saywhat::flaming::thumbdown:

Second biggest power outage ever in Philly area - 2nd only to Hurricane Sandy. Trees down everywhere. Long day for road and utility crews.

Started with a couple inches of freezing rain, then ice (easily 1/3" here), then flooding rains. Now down to 15F and windy tonight.

Andrew Longman
02-05-14, 07:58 PM
As of a few hours ago my family may have lucked out. The power is still on which is especially good because they brought in the last of the firewood a storm or two ago. Looking at the weather maps the meanest stuff was about 15 miles south in Elmoland.:gomer:

Me? Houston. Again. And it is cold here.:\

nrc
02-05-14, 08:01 PM
As of a few hours ago my family may have lucked out. The power is still on which is especially good because they brought in the last of the firewood a storm or two ago. Looking at the weather maps the meanest stuff was about 15 miles south in Elmoland.:gomer:

Me? Houston. Again. And it is cold here.:\

Looks like you'll have to burn the books.