01-11-14, 07:37 AM
:thumbup: A new season of The Walking Dead

Ozarkian
01-11-14, 01:10 PM
Just saying!

Well said!

Anteater
01-11-14, 10:53 PM
They're starting the year without a title sponsor, so that's encouraging.

Lux Interior
01-12-14, 12:03 AM
....and the wheel goes round....I guess?:D

I watched / went to zero indycar races last year. That's how uninspiring it is. :shakehead:

Duroc
01-12-14, 12:40 PM
So... that southern cone series is sure to kick off any day now. Where's the opener? Kylami? Hyderbad? A triumphant return to Surfers?

You all laughed at the fantasy CART website guy, but it beats this pathetic pile of nothing. When "....at least we got rid of Barnhart" is the best possible spin, things are REALLY bad.

It ended in 2008. This is the denouement, so the knuckleheads get the story straight, that this is a tragedy and there is not going to be a Deus ex machina to fly everyone happily back to 16th & Speedway.

cameraman
01-13-14, 05:29 PM
Oh lord those are just ugly...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bd4ysYeCAAA7RfH.png:large

Chief
01-15-14, 01:46 AM
Why are the tires so big in the front?

cameraman
01-15-14, 01:59 AM
Because they used a very short focal length lens to take the photo.

TKGAngel
01-15-14, 01:34 PM
Those are the actual cars? I thought they were just weirdly done photoshops or die casts.

Anyone else feel like the paint job on the front of Hinch's car looks like something that Players Forsythe would have run back in the day?

cameraman
01-15-14, 01:56 PM
No they are photoshops based on a photo of the car using a mildly fish eyed lens. Why the chose a photo that accentuates the size of the front wing of those sleds is anyone's guess:saywhat:

Elmo T
01-15-14, 02:35 PM
No they are photoshops based on a photo of the car using a mildly fish eyed lens. Why the chose a photo that accentuates the size of the front wing of those sleds is anyone's guess:saywhat:

Oddly accenting the very parts of the car that ought to be hidden/buried/never seen again.

gerhard911
01-15-14, 04:04 PM
I would argue that there are NO parts on that fugly POS that should ever be seen again, including the mirrors :gomer:

Andrew Longman
01-15-14, 06:28 PM
Well... there is a lot of sponsorship on them. That hasn't always been the case in this sport.

But I wonder what it cost. Back in the day I remember Penske saying it cost $1M to get about a 6" sticker to ride on the roll hoop for a season.

cameraman
01-15-14, 07:33 PM
Well... there is a lot of sponsorship on them. That hasn't always been the case in this sport.

But I wonder what it cost. Back in the day I remember Penske saying it cost $1M to get about a 6" sticker to ride on the roll hoop for a season.

Well given the size of United Fiber & Data I think you could safely knock a few zeros off of that number.

United Fiber & Data provides a superior alternative for fiber networking and broadband solutions. With our completely privately owned and operated network that is strategically positioned West of the North East Corridor's traditional route, UFD is diverse to single points of failure between New York City and Northern Virginia. Our Data Centers offer a cost-effective delivery of ISP bandwidth and carrier interconnects for our customers. And our hands-on Professional Services Group offers a complete suite of solutions that has the backing of an owner-operated, highly redundant and secure infrastructure.

United Fiber & Data was founded in 2009, by a group of telecom professionals who saw a distinct need to reassess the existing fiber communications capabilities and infrastructure in the bustling North Eastern United States. The team recognized that the North East Corridor (between New York City and the DC Metro) has a higher concentration of businesses and residents than anywhere else in the United States. Unfortunately, this area also has a lot of potential issues when it comes to the communications infrastructure that they so heavily rely upon. And thus, UFD was created to solve these issues and offer an alternative to the existing, aged and fallible system that has been in place for decades.

The UFD offering of services is complex, yet simple. They follow the age-old formula for solving a problem: Identify the problem. Assess what's broken. Create a solution that prevents that problem from happening again. UFD has done this by:

Creating a wholly owned alternative route to fiber lines between New York City and the DC Metro area, avoiding the common Route 1, Interstate Highway 9 and Amtrak lines

Laying 288 metro fiber cable to support data services to area businesses such as data centers, healthcare and pharmaceutical providers, etc.

Laying 144 fiber diverse, express cable that interconnects major financial exchanges between the NYC and DC Metro areas

Avoiding all major metropolitan blast zones, terrorist targets and natural disaster regions

Severely limiting with diversity to single points of failure of the conventional fiber routes

Reducing latency while increasing throughput

Perhaps some of that sponsorship money would have been better spent hiring a copywriter:shakehead:

Andrew Longman
01-15-14, 08:56 PM
Well given the size of United Fiber & Data I think you could safely knock a few zeros off of that number.

Perhaps some of that sponsorship money would have been better spent hiring a copywriter:shakehead:Or a marketing strategist. How is an IRL sponsorship going to help that?

Duroc
01-16-14, 10:29 AM
I'm sure that andretti tv website pays top dollar.

Anyway these are glossies, the Irl grid will be filled with the usual threadbare and who is that sponsors.

There is no interstate 9.

Chief
01-16-14, 12:59 PM
Because they used a very short focal length lens to take the photo.

You do realize I was only busting stones with my question, right? :laugh:

They are 3D models rendered with a short lens camera aspect, and they just wrap the model with a 3D skin or pshop graphic. That's why the highlights never change, nor the shadows. Or why this idea never panned out in the brakeout year 2012:

http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.games.com/media/2012/04/screen-shot-2012-04-13-at-2.44.42-pm.png

DagoFast
01-17-14, 01:06 AM
I just wanted to post in this important thread.

And to once again wish it were only true...

Mary
01-17-14, 03:06 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014/01/17/sports/ap-car-indycar-montoya.html?hp

So, Montoya spent 13 years lamenting his absence from the Indy 500? Huh? Whooda thunk it! :rolleyes:

Don't know why I think this belongs in The End tread. :rofl:;)

Mary

pkvracing12
02-14-14, 10:53 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/02/14/simona-de-silvestro-leaving-indycar-to-join-sauber-f1-team-as-affiliated-driver/

opinionated ow
02-14-14, 06:17 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/02/14/simona-de-silvestro-leaving-indycar-to-join-sauber-f1-team-as-affiliated-driver/

I'm really hopeful she can get the F1 gig. I've said for years that she is the most talented female openwheeler driver currently in competition

TKGAngel
03-01-14, 02:23 PM
Panther Racing sues Rahal, Indycar and two other companies for alleged dirty deeds relating to the moving of the National Guard sponsorship to Rahal's organization.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140228/INDYCAR/140229795

Chief
03-02-14, 01:22 PM
I see Barnes is suing "Indy Racing League, LLC." :rofl:

Still there, still there....I still love when folks try to tell me current day IndyCar ISN'T the IRL. :p

Duroc
03-14-14, 12:41 AM
Hey Chief, I saw your posts regarding the rumored Verizon deal and declining title sponsor return for the hapless IRL. I believe you neglected to factor in inflation. According to the BLS, $11 million in 2009 dollars is $12 million today. So a $10 million deal today would be more like a 20% haircut. That's a steep slide over five years. They are deferring maintenance on the core asset and pocketing any cash flow. Next stop? Chapter 7 filing.

Chief
03-14-14, 06:10 PM
"20% haircut" :laugh:

You sir, are correct...when you factor in Izod started pulling out early we get the picture of how pathetic they've really been...limping along with Izod, helpless.

pkvracing12
03-25-14, 06:28 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/t/story/jim-nabors-make-final-indy-500-performance-23055572?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fs a%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Djim%2520nabors%26source%3Dwe b%26cd%3D3%26ved%3D0CDMQqQIwAg%26url%3Dhttp%253A%2 52F%252Fabcnews.go.com%252FEntertainment%252FwireS tory%252Fjim-nabors-make-final-indy-500-performance-23055572%26ei%3DlQIyU-3yC6iMyQHvxoH4CA%26usg%3DAFQjCNGi-9ZTSuJeGufXmfB5YAjpalp7PA%26sig2%3DFbsaeNAYGSJCFpb jeQKv4A%26bvm%3Dbv.63587204%2Cd.aWc

stroker
03-26-14, 04:21 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/t/story/jim-nabors-make-final-indy-500-performance-23055572?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fs a%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Djim%2520nabors%26source%3Dwe b%26cd%3D3%26ved%3D0CDMQqQIwAg%26url%3Dhttp%253A%2 52F%252Fabcnews.go.com%252FEntertainment%252FwireS tory%252Fjim-nabors-make-final-indy-500-performance-23055572%26ei%3DlQIyU-3yC6iMyQHvxoH4CA%26usg%3DAFQjCNGi-9ZTSuJeGufXmfB5YAjpalp7PA%26sig2%3DFbsaeNAYGSJCFpb jeQKv4A%26bvm%3Dbv.63587204%2Cd.aWc

Well, that's it, then. Stick a fork in 'em. :thumbup:

manic mechanic
03-29-14, 01:41 AM
"20% haircut" :laugh:

You sir, are correct...when you factor in Izod started pulling out early we get the picture of how pathetic they've really been...limping along with Izod, helpless.

When "Izod started pulling out early", They recognized that the welfare mom wasn't worth having another kid with.

Verizin getting a discount is like the same welfare mom still wanting another kid because she doesn't want to work for money...

Same BS, different year. :shakehead:

JoeBob
04-01-14, 04:11 PM
In a subtle change, they've changed the name of their chassis from DW-12 to IR-12. Check out the box score from St. Pete: http://www.imscdn.com/INDYCAR/Documents/2888/2014-03-30/indycar-boxscore.pdf

I guess they need Dan Wheldon's memory to go away.

Ed_Severson
04-01-14, 08:25 PM
I hate to burst your bubble but the technical name of the car has always been IR-12. The name DW-12 has always been an informal alternative.

opinionated ow
04-02-14, 04:10 AM
I hate to burst your bubble but the technical name of the car has always been IR-12. The name DW-12 has always been an informal alternative.

We wouldn't give a bugger except that the .1RL made such a big deal of naming it in his honour. They could have at least extended that and done the job properly...

chop456
04-02-14, 05:52 AM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95505

Dallara's 2012 IndyCar chassis will be named in honour of Dan Wheldon, the Italian racing car constructor has confirmed.

Wheldon, who died from head injuries sustained in a 15-car pile-up at the IndyCar season finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway last Sunday, had conducted all the testing of the new-for-2012 car during the second half of this year.

Company chairman Gianpaolo Dallara believes that naming the car after him is a fitting tribute to the 2005 series champion and two-time Indianapolis 500 winner, who achieved all his 16 victories in the series in Dallara machinery.

"Dan lives in the memory of everybody at Dallara. He has been a true champion; not only because of his many victories, but and above everything else, because he has been a true and warm man to all the people he encountered," said Dallara.

"All people at Dallara always enjoyed meeting him in Italy and in the USA. We will honor his memory for the years to come by dedicating the Dallara IndyCar 2012 in his name. He deserves that."

Or not. Whatever. :tony:

gerhard911
04-02-14, 08:23 AM
I suspect the fact that some folks noticed that "D" is also the first letter of the word dead might have influenced this decision.

Chief
04-02-14, 10:13 AM
LOL what load of BS...

This is directly from the IRL website:

Dallara was awarded the contract to produce the 2012 IndyCar Series chassis, the IR-12, the basis for the fourth generation IndyCar Series car. All cars will utilize Dallara’s aero kit in 2013 and manufacturers will have the opportunity to use their own aero kits beginning in 2015.

NO ATTRIBUTION to DW12 or other. So all along this was just a feel good for the public. In the end, they just insulted the entire fanbase. Great work Indy morAns! :rofl:

G.
04-02-14, 12:58 PM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95505

Company chairman Gianpaolo Dallara believes that naming the car after him is a fitting tribute to the 2005 series champion and two-time Indianapolis 500 winner, who achieved all his 16 victories in the series in Dallara machinery.

Or not. Whatever. :tony:

He's just the Chairman, what would he know? Them's guys are out of touch with what makes Indy great!

I'll bet if someone had a few extra bucks, they could name it the "offcamber" for a year or two. They wouldn't even have to get gratered, so that's good.

Ed_Severson
04-02-14, 01:09 PM
Sometimes it amazes me how much time is spent scouring the internet for the inane details of a series the members here claim not to care about.

cameraman
04-02-14, 01:41 PM
I think that you would find that the majority of the people here would really like to care about it but the ownership of the league really makes that extraordinarily difficult. Which is especially bad for people like you who really deserve a functional series/industry to work in.

stroker
04-02-14, 02:36 PM
Sometimes it amazes me how much time is spent scouring the internet for the inane details of a series the members here claim not to care about.

Have you seen anyone here reference who actually won the race? I doubt anyone's spending a lot of time doing any scouring...

Chief
04-02-14, 02:59 PM
Speaking of inane details about the series...I'm hearing Brian Barnhart is back in Race Control! This guy has nine-lives!

So, while inane to some...those not tainted by the kool-aid flavor of the day may realize this is the SAME Brian Barnhart who allowed wet oval track racing, has countlessly made bone-headed steward decisions for the series, and never really was held responsible for the continued support for the flying wreck-a-riffic prior generation Dallara nor for his input in allowing the 32 or 34 flying cars on-track for the 2011 tragedy in Las Vegas....which strangely was the impetus for the new Dallara being renamed the DW12 in the first place.

Far be it for me to stand up for Dan Wheldon's memory, but, these are far from inane details about the series that really show it for what it is. Oh, and go check out IndyCars website...1994 is when IMS pegs for the start of todays series. Trivial inane details, I'm sure. :shakehead:

Gnam
04-02-14, 03:13 PM
Speaking of inane details about the series...I'm hearing Brian Barnhart is back in Race Control! :shakehead:
wow. Maybe a race officiated by Barnhart will get higher ratings?
He knows how to dial up the eggcitement!

JoeBob
04-02-14, 06:17 PM
It's true! http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140328/INDYCAR/140329805

IndyCar is implementing a rotating three-man race control booth this season, with series officials working together to determine if an infraction has occurred. This week's stewards are race director Beaux Barfield, Brian Barnhart and Johnny Unser.

TravelGal
04-02-14, 07:43 PM

"IndyCar is implementing a rotating three-man race control booth this season, with series officials working together to determine if an infraction has occurred. This week's stewards are race director Beaux Barfield, Brian Barnhart and Johnny Unser."

Just shoot me now. I'm glad I'll be on the road and not anywhere near Long Beach.

TKGAngel
04-02-14, 07:52 PM
wow. Maybe a race officiated by Barnhart will get higher ratings?
He knows how to dial up the eggcitement!

After a .6 in the overnights for Sunday's race, they have nowhere to go but up. And yes, I know they were competing against the Final Four and a NASCAR Race.

Racing Truth
04-02-14, 08:25 PM
I suspect the fact that some folks noticed that "D" is also the first letter of the word dead might have influenced this decision.

Someone tell Red Bull that "R" could mean "Russia," which indicates communism.:tony::rolleyes:

pfc_m_drake
04-02-14, 08:52 PM
Elsewhere I posted that I thought that was an epically stupid idea (the 3-man rotating race control system).

I think I was proven exactly correct with what happened to Conway. For those who didn't, Conway was waved by the pace car under yellow (when he should NOT have been), and then pitted. Post pit-stop, he merged back with the field in something like P3. That wasn't correct, so Race Control (with their new 3-person voting team!) elected to place him farther back in the field where they deemed he would have blended back in under 'correct' circumstances. I presume this ruling was due to the confusion surrounding the pace car wave-around.

However, prior to the restart, I guess the 3-person team of geniuses decided to take another vote, because they then awarded *another* penalty to Conway (pit-lane drive-through I think) for passing the pace car.

So, my questions are:
1) Anybody know what the deal there was?
2) Is this what we can expect from the 3-person crew all year (e.g. just keep voting again and again on penalties)?

gerhard911
04-02-14, 09:36 PM
Someone tell Red Bull that "R" could mean "Russia," which indicates communism.:tony::rolleyes:

OK, I was trying to be diplomatic but since you are apparently so dense it escaped you, I will spell it out for you...

DW12 = Dead Weldon 12

Easy
04-02-14, 09:44 PM
I don't spend time researching things to make fun at while claiming to be indifferent to Indycar but its absolutely ridiculous that they bent over to the whining about Beaux Barfield, who was by miles, the most competent and fair race steward I ever came across in several series ranging from CART to IMSA, SCCA Pro and Club, MSA, Grand AM and even USAC sanction. The drivers didn't like him because for the first time in years the guy in race control wasn't trying to be their friend.

In fact, the only thing more stupid than a 3 man rotation in race control is using local officials at each event (likely chosen via connections), accompanied by one former driver (of varying experience), usually chosen by the fact he had nothing else to do that week.

Chief
04-02-14, 10:42 PM
Easy...I respect your input. Thank you for confirming the mass insanity and out of control aspects that surround this epic stupidity. Ed, all is well...at ease fella. :laugh:

SteveH
04-02-14, 11:56 PM
Gimme four good ones is back! :gomer:

JoeBob
04-23-14, 03:57 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153127558027699&set=a.60636362698.69703.6782447698&type=1&theater

Gnam
04-23-14, 04:12 PM
Great comments. :D

Teresa Lebamoff Alt Well I could send each of my 4 grown kids into Kroger with $150 then myself and get 10 tickets PLUS $750 dollars worth of groceries. Right now I am paying $887 dollars and I don't get any groceries. This looks like a bad elementary school math problem. Lol

TKGAngel
04-24-14, 08:48 AM
Pet peeve - if you're going to have a caveat of "must purchase qualifying General Mills" products, wouldn't it make sense* to have a link to a website for a list of what those products are? Putting just a "call box office with questions" note is going to lead to different people getting told different things.

* Yes, I know this is Indy. Nothing makes sense.
** Why am I wasting brain cells on this?

Elmo T
04-24-14, 09:23 AM
It's great to see the hate from the people who have "liked" the IMS FB page. :rofl:

TedN
08-07-14, 06:52 PM
“The Army National Guard is ending its sponsorship of NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Indy Racing League driver Graham Rahal, the component announced Wednesday.

“The decisions follow an “intensive internal review,” according to the announcement.

“Significantly constrained resources and the likelihood of further reductions in the future call for more innovative and cost-effective ways of doing business,” said Maj. Gen. Judd Lyons, acting director of the Army Guard, in the announcement.

“The Army Guard spent $32 million on its NASCAR sponsorship and $12 million on the IndyCar sponsorship for 2014, according to the announcement.
Source (http://www.wheels.ca/news/shannonville-motorsport-park-is-for-sale/)

Ted

opinionated ow
08-08-14, 07:03 AM
Source (http://www.wheels.ca/news/shannonville-motorsport-park-is-for-sale/)

Ted

Can't say I ever understood why the US Military does advertise. Normally a sponsorship is based on something you want to sell, what does the military sell? I can understand recruiting budgets but just putting your name on a racing car has never made any sense to me

SteveH
08-08-14, 09:18 AM
Can't say I ever understood why the US Military does advertise. Normally a sponsorship is based on something you want to sell, what does the military sell? I can understand recruiting budgets but just putting your name on a racing car has never made any sense to me

I believe it was at a recent Congressional (in the past year or so) hearing that the National Guard admitted they could not identify any recruits as a result of their sponsorship. However, the advertising might serve more than recruitment, it also serves to form public opinion. Coming out of the Viet Nam era that was probably needed. We're way past that now. But we have an all volunteer force, it doesn't hurt to have advertising to promote the armed serves as an entry into a career (other than blowin' up stuff, Dale).

stroker
08-08-14, 11:12 AM
Hey, back on topic, what ever happened to "if we're not showing a profit by 2013..."?

SteveH
08-09-14, 09:22 AM
Hey, back on topic, what ever happened to "if we're not showing a profit by 2013..."?

They start running more races at IMS? :gomer:

Mary
08-09-14, 02:47 PM

Define, or rather redefine "profit." Or they could just claim that there was a typo, they really meant 2031.

Mary

chop456
08-11-14, 07:13 AM
3021 may be more realistic.