PDA

View Full Version : Andy Granatelli

Mary
12-30-13, 01:03 PM
Andy Granatelli's death at 90 was mentioned in a few of the posts in the Michael Schumacher thread, but I wanted to post a couple of paragraphs from his NY Times obit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/30/sports/autoracing/andy-granatelli-dies-at-90-revved-businesses-and-cars.html?src=me

Mr. Granatelli was also involved in auto racing, and his innovations shook up the sport’s establishment. From 1961 to 1965, he entered cars in the Indianapolis 500, at that time America’s most celebrated race, with supercharged V-8 engines. Their horsepower reached 837, up from the conventional 450. (italics & bold mine)

In his 1969 autobiography, “They Call Me Mr. 500,” he said: “We were rather badly handled in the turbine affair. Perhaps we tried to hurry tomorrow to a group of tradition-bound people who were frightened silly at the prospect of a new dawn.”

...and to wish him again, RIP.

Mary

DagoFast
12-30-13, 01:37 PM
I'm really saddened to see Andy go. They simply ain't making dudes like that anymore and we are all poorer for it. Who didn't have the obligatory and ubiquitous oval STP stickers plastered all over their toolbox, garages, cars and rooms in the 60's?

If you never read his autobiography, do so.

Napoleon
12-30-13, 01:51 PM
RIP Andy.

He was an original.

I would have been 8 at his first win and 12 at his second. It was people like him that got me hooked on racing.

Looking at that picture of him at the link it occurred to me too bad we lost James Gandolfini this year as well. He would have been the perfect Granatelli if they ever made a film on him.

Oh, and yes I had a million STP stickers as well.

Andrew Longman
12-30-13, 02:33 PM
Sad. I read They Call Me Mr 500 when I was 11 and still have my copy. It taught me a bunch about how the auto racing biz worked. A very interesting and admirable self starting business man who simply loved racing.

sadams
01-03-14, 11:11 AM
In his 1969 autobiography, “They Call Me Mr. 500,” he said: “We were rather badly handled in the turbine affair. Perhaps we tried to hurry tomorrow to a group of tradition-bound people who were frightened silly at the prospect of a new dawn.”

Still true to this day. Loved the turbine cars. And yup I had STP sticker all over the garage.
I never used the stuff because I thought it was snake oil but I loved the marketing.

RIP sir.