PDA

View Full Version : The smell of Methonal . . .

Napoleon
06-30-03, 04:17 PM
. . . from your laptop?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=&e=8&u=/ap/20030630/ap_on_hi_te/fuel_cell_laptop

Sean O'Gorman
06-30-03, 04:41 PM
Like I said on 7G, I can already see it now...someone at an airport with a laptop rolling around on the ground while 3 firefighters are pouring buckets of water on him. Us CART fans will be the only ones that know whats going on. :cool:

DjDrOmusic
06-30-03, 04:48 PM
A....Mr. Pook! Am I the only person who can see a sponsorship tie in with this??? There could even be a free laptop refill day from your favorite team!!;) :D

Turn7
06-30-03, 05:17 PM
SOG brings up a good point.

Wasn't it fuel cells that caused that valuejet crash in south florida?

If so, how are they going to prevent that sort of thing from happening again if everything starts using fuel cells for power?

Ankf00
06-30-03, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
SOG brings up a good point.

Wasn't it fuel cells that caused that valuejet crash in south florida?

If so, how are they going to prevent that sort of thing from happening again if everything starts using fuel cells for power?
I thought it was leaky oxygen tanks ignited by the motor that actuates the landing gear in value-jet. From what I've read on these small methanol based fuel-cell units is they're supposed to be sealed and replaceable and recycled rather than re-filled, dunno how NEC plans for them to be reused though.

RichK
06-30-03, 06:03 PM
Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer batteries in our current phones and laptops have been known to cause fires, too. There's always a learning curve with new technology.

rocket
07-01-03, 04:53 AM
Pretty cool...leme know when they make something that runs off methane :gomer:

cart7
07-01-03, 05:49 AM
Interesting. If I don't turn my assignment in on time, can I tell my boss I'm on a different fuel strategy than everyone else? :p :D

nz_climber
07-01-03, 06:38 AM
Im sure PT will be after one of these to give his new desk at TSN the right smell :D

JLMannin
07-01-03, 12:29 PM
Methanal is the formal UIPAC name for formaldehyde. Did you mean methanol? ;)

Napoleon
07-01-03, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
Methanal is the formal UIPAC name for formaldehyde. Did you mean methanol? ;)

Yes I guess I did.

And mentioning formaldehyde took me back to high school biology and physiology classes when we had to dissect a frog and a fetal pig.