PDA

View Full Version : LCD monitor/TV shadows

G.
12-28-13, 07:05 PM
Has anyone tried to get their LCD display repaired?

I have a Sharp 46" TV. Along the Left hand side, I'm starting to get a "shadow" streak - sort of a smoky, vertical line.

It is something like this (but this is not from me) : http://www.fixya.com/support/t17485484-samsung_model_ln40b530_lcd_tv_shadows, but not as bad, and not centered. It sort of looks like when the old CRT's needed degaussing, but it's all black and smoky colored.

It doesn't matter what the source is.

Google doesn't help as much as I had hoped - just a bunch of contrary opinions from the minions. It's either a simple board swap, or a new panel/TV.

Any ideas, or wait until the 4k units are about half what they cost now? :)

Thanks!

dando
12-28-13, 07:18 PM
Has anyone tried to get their LCD display repaired?

I have a Sharp 46" TV. Along the Left hand side, I'm starting to get a "shadow" streak - sort of a smoky, vertical line.

It is something like this (but this is not from me) : http://www.fixya.com/support/t17485484-samsung_model_ln40b530_lcd_tv_shadows, but not as bad, and not centered. It sort of looks like when the old CRT's needed degaussing, but it's all black and smoky colored.

It doesn't matter what the source is.

Google doesn't help as much as I had hoped - just a bunch of contrary opinions from the minions. It's either a simple board swap, or a new panel/TV.

Any ideas, or wait until the 4k units are about half what they cost now? :)

Thanks!

I assume CFL LCD? If so, you have bulbs going bad. No idea on the repair cost for replacement and service, but I assume >$100 for parts and repair. 'tis why I switched from DLP to CFL LCD and then LED LCD.

G.
12-28-13, 07:19 PM
It's florescent backlighting.

manic mechanic
12-28-13, 10:15 PM
My dad repairs those sets (as a hobby), and basically "confirmed" the diag you have been given.

Give me a model number, and I might be able to find the necessary parts, and "finesse" the old man into doing the work for you, but shipping/freight charges are on you (he lives in Kent/Covington WA.)

I'm glad for the "heads up", dude (I believe we met at the last Denver race)... I own a Sharp LC-46 as well. :thumbup:

manic

G.
12-29-13, 03:27 PM
My dad repairs those sets (as a hobby), and basically "confirmed" the diag you have been given.

Which diagnosis? Dead panel, bad bulbs, flyback converter, inverter supply...?

Give me a model number, and I might be able to find the necessary parts, and "finesse" the old man into doing the work for you, but shipping/freight charges are on you (he lives in Kent/Covington WA.)

I appreciate the offer very much, but I'd rather avoid trying to ship an 80 lb., poorly-crated, POS across the country (Illinois, here). If I know the correct diag, I can decide to try to fix it myself (I've got an AWESOME set of tools!), leave it alone, or use it as a teaching tool for the kids.
{"Kids, THIS is what happens when you don't clean your room! Hand me that sledgehammer, g."}

Model Sharp LC-46D62U

I'm glad for the "heads up", dude (I believe we met at the last Denver race)... I own a Sharp LC-46 as well. :thumbup:

manic

I know that we've met, but I've never been to the Denver race. Vegas? Long Beach? For some reason, I think it was Road America. I met a bunch of very hung-over CCWS volunteers back a few years ago. :laugh: I think you were in better shape, comparitively speaking.

Thanks!

manic mechanic
12-31-13, 02:24 AM
Which diagnosis? Dead panel, bad bulbs, flyback converter, inverter supply...?

Bad bulbs... If it were a bad display or inverter, it might "mimic" this behaviour, but the cosistent nature of the problem says bad CFL bulbs.

I appreciate the offer very much, but I'd rather avoid trying to ship an 80 lb., poorly-crated, POS across the country (Illinois, here).

Easy solution there, my friend... Just insure it for more than it's worth (half the cost of a new set + shipping costs) with the carrier. My dad has recovered a LOT due to their ineptitude over the years!

If I know the correct diag, I can decide to try to fix it myself (I've got an AWESOME set of tools!), leave it alone, or use it as a teaching tool for the kids.
{"Kids, THIS is what happens when you don't clean your room! Hand me that sledgehammer, g."}

Wow..Yours is one model newer than my D60U.. The architecture is the same, and spares can be had for cheap (Sharp finally solved the inverter problems (for the most part) on the D-60 series, so the display aspects are pretty solid). Try lcdparts.net for supplies and see where you come out. CFL tubes in that size are about $25 each

I know that we've met, but I've never been to the Denver race. Vegas? Long Beach? For some reason, I think it was Road America. I met a bunch of very hung-over CCWS volunteers back a few years ago. :laugh: I think you were in better shape, comparitively speaking.

Vegas? Was at (staffing) all 3 CCWS Vegas races.. LBGP? Been there since '94... Staffed all 5 races CCWS ran there...coulda happened..

You may be right about RA, but all I did was "masquerade" about how much better off I was than other volunteers! I was on a mission that weekend in 2007(even Anaya was concerned that I was "incognito" for much of Friday... She thought I was in the company of the "local magistrate" until things got sorted out Saturday morning.):rofl::rofl:

I wasn't anywhere close to incarcerated, but was "maintained" in the company of the "Area 51" girls (Chassis, Lurfy, Meesh, and VasserFan Vicki), and subsequently kept out of trouble.

What happened in Elkhart Lake, STAYED in Elkhart Lake!!! ;)

Feel free to call on me on this one.. I'll go up the ladder and get you the right info at every turn I can.

Take care,

manic

dando
12-31-13, 06:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN_Nod65e7o

Relax, allright, my old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools.

;)

TravelGal
12-31-13, 04:25 PM
I'm going to piggy back my question. My monitor gets what I can only describe at parallel lines that are about 5 inches apart and move up the screen at a fairly rapid rate. This seems to happen randomly. It's not happening now. More often late in the day or late evening but not always. Happens a few times a month. Monitor says Samsung HDTV monitor (not attached to a TV however :irked: ) SynchMaster 2333HD. 10000:1 I always figured it had something to do with usage on the Roadrunner connection except that my monitor can be doing this while TravelGuy's is not. Any thoughts, Manic?

Insomniac
12-31-13, 07:54 PM
What type of input are you using? I'm thinking maybe it's analog and an ADC chip is going bad. If you can, try to use a different input.