PDA

View Full Version : Iranian stupidity on display

cameraman
12-15-13, 01:03 AM
So the Iranian government is trumpeting their latest rocket launching some poor monkey into the sky. They even helpfully sent a photo of the rocket launching.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/Wires/Online/2013-12-14/AP/Images/Mideast%20Iran%20Space%20Monkey.JPEG-01e59.jpg

Okay then, let's put on our photo analyst hats and look closely.

Look at all those cheering folk on the hillside in the distance watching the rocket launch. Look how tall the people are. Look at the rocket which is much, much closer to the camera. Look how tall it is.

I want to know how the Iranians managed to squeeze a monkey into a mid-line Estes model rocket:rolleyes:

dando
12-15-13, 01:35 AM
Do you really get into this? You wanna talk about stupidity like entering into an agreement with these bozos, losing all leverage that we'll work out a better agreement in 6 mos. by releasing funds and sanctions. I could go into layers upon layers on this onion. This regime cannot be trusted to say the sky is blue. I'd say more, but nrc would have my ass on a stick. :saywhat: :irked: This is nothing more than a show like North Korea puts on to 'display' capability, and we've seen how that has turned out (sucks to be an uncle in NK). :saywhat:

cameraman
12-15-13, 03:01 AM
Actually I was kinda hoping to talk about how dumb the photo is or how bad they are at faking p.r. about planes and rockets...

Andrew Longman
12-15-13, 03:20 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/12/14/iran-sends-second-monkey-into-space-president-says/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/world/middleeast/iran-reports-successfully-sending-another-monkey-into-space.html?hpw&rref=science

Same article in two place with one saying something about "the president" announcing it but not saying anything about what he actually said or which president they were talking about. Maybe I missed it.

Hey, they did about as well as John Glenn did... 50 years ago with unproven technology.

These things are always for domestic consumption, in every country. It keeps the powerful in power.

But then so does spending 35 years refusing to negotiate with west on sanctions that nicely keep the people's eye and hate on the west rather than on their own government. ;) jus' sayin'.

G.
12-15-13, 03:47 AM
So the Iranian government is trumpeting their latest rocket launching some poor monkey into the sky. They even helpfully sent a photo of the rocket launching.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/Wires/Online/2013-12-14/AP/Images/Mideast%20Iran%20Space%20Monkey.JPEG-01e59.jpg

Look at all those cheering folk on the hillside in the distance watching the rocket launch. Look how tall the people are. Look at the rocket which is much, much closer to the camera. Look how tall it is.

I want to know how the Iranians managed to squeeze a monkey into a mid-line Estes model rocket:rolleyes:
Might have been able to fit a whole barrel of 'em innit.

gjc2
12-15-13, 07:22 AM

Some combination of really tall people and a really small monkey.
Also, the people would have to be really brave (or stupid)

dando
12-15-13, 09:30 AM
Actually I was kinda hoping to talk about how dumb the photo is or how bad they are at faking p.r. about planes and rockets...

I get ya, but I wouldn't believe anything that comes out of this regime (or NK). I'm just not sure which is more stupid...them or US for dealing with them. Perhaps we should send Dennis Rodman there as a secial envoy. :gomer: ;)

And I think G. nailed it. That stick couldn't hold more than a barrel full of monkeys. By comparison, the Falcon 9 that recently launched was 22 stories tall.

nissan gtp
12-15-13, 10:06 AM

that's Indy and his dig crew stealing the Ark of the Covenant

Napoleon
12-15-13, 10:45 AM

I forget where I read about the launch yesterday but the report ended with something dry like "in the past similar Iranian claims of technical achievement have not been verifiable by third party methods." They all but ended with "the above is fiction"

And as to Dando's "strategic" analysis our country is out trillions of dollars with thousands dead over the last dozen years with butkiss to show from it as a result of such "analysis".

dando
12-15-13, 01:47 PM
And as to Dando's "strategic" analysis our country is out trillions of dollars with thousands dead over the last dozen years with butkiss to show from it as a result of such "analysis".

You're not quoting me regarding strategic analysis. I simply stated that by making the 'deal' we made, which Iran later refuted, we lost all leverage. Point blank, our current 'foreign policy' is a joke. Not saying we should go to war, but stay the course. It's a bad deal, and our allies have stated as such. Understandably, IQs drop north of I-30. :gomer: :p

SteveH
12-15-13, 02:47 PM
Remember when Gilligan got a new sub?

nrc
12-15-13, 03:48 PM
You're not quoting me regarding strategic analysis. I simply stated...

Settle down guys. It's a sad day when I gotta threaten to close a fake Iranian technology thread. :\

dando
12-15-13, 05:10 PM
Settle down guys. It's a sad day when I gotta threaten to close a fake Iranian technology thread. :\

Boss, just stating fact...both Iran and North Korea stage these shows. I agree with Camera Guy. It's a farce. And I just stated common sense on the nuke deal we made. I'm independent. Don't care who did it, it's wrong. The Iranians are every bit as ****ed up as the whackjob in North Korea. Not being political in anyway, shape or form.

Now, you might call me out on the north of I-30 comment, but Nappy has used south of I-30 several times with sanction or comment. :confused:

Peace & love all...I hope the barrel full of monkeys return safely.

Andrew Longman
12-15-13, 06:11 PM
Kevin, think the feedback is on your "making a deal with them" comments, not "farce" comments. Respectful and reasonable people can have fun congectoring on irans dubious technical capabilities. They can but maybe not here disagree on the merits of what the leverage you describe has gotten us in 35 years versus making the people of Iran less hateful of the west and more suspicious of their own government. BTW that was tactic that some people say had a huge role in winning the Cold War.

Jus sayin :)

And I take to offense or position to north or south of I30 comments :D

dando
12-15-13, 07:18 PM
Kevin, think the feedback is on your "making a deal with them" comments, not "farce" comments. Respectful and reasonable people can have fun congectoring on irans dubious technical capabilities. They can but maybe not here disagree on the merits of what the leverage you describe has gotten us in 35 years versus making the people of Iran less hateful of the west and more suspicious of their own government. BTW that was tactic that some people say had a huge role in winning the Cold War.

Jus sayin :)

And I take to offense or position to north or south of I30 comments :D

OK, I retract the north of I-30 remark...the Clowns proved that today. :tony: However, I will assert that nothing good happens east of the Delaware River. :gomer: :p ;)

dando
12-15-13, 07:28 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/14/world/meast/iran-monkey-space/

Iran made a similar announcement in January, saying then that it had launched the first monkey into space, strapped snugly into a rocket, and returned it safely to Earth.
That announcement was met by skepticism by some.
U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters then that while she saw pictures of "the poor little monkey," the United States doesn't "have any way to confirm this (happened), one way or another."
"But our concerns with Iran's development of space launch vehicle technologies are obviously well-known: Any space launch vehicle capable of placing an object in orbit is directly relevant to the development of long-range ballistic missiles," she told reporters.

Andrew Longman
12-15-13, 10:50 PM
I will assert that nothing good happens east of the Delaware River. :gomer: :p ;)If you said east of the Raritan or north of the Hudson, except Yankees baseball... but not lately I might agree. :)

But then there is all the crap north of Elmo in the Lehigh valley.
An then what do I do with Giants most years or the Eagles any year?

Dvdb
12-16-13, 12:21 AM
I am directly west of the Mississippi..........should I be offended yet?

cameraman
12-16-13, 01:02 AM
I'm still a bit confused about using an interstate that runs from Dallas to Little Rock as a demarcation for anything.:confused:

Gnam
12-16-13, 03:06 AM
that's Indy and his dig crew stealing the Ark of the Covenant
:D

indyfan31
12-16-13, 10:52 AM
Looks like Fargam the space monkey made it back safely. He looks thrilled.

TKGAngel
12-16-13, 11:05 AM
Looks like Fargam the space monkey made it back safely. He looks thrilled.

So that's what happened to the Ikea monkey...