PDA

View Full Version : AMA Flat Track Grand Nationals were in Lima this weekend

rabbit
06-30-03, 08:52 AM
And I got assigned, of course, to cover it. It was my first time covering this race, now in its 18th year. Let me just say, it sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked.

Did I mention it sucked?

I love racing. All different kinds. Some more than others. But Saturday was the longest day of my life.

Don't get me wrong. I give mad props to the riders. They're a brave, talented, and friendly lot. But the races were single-file boring. The AMA and the race promoter were both completely disorganized. And the crowd was, well, a unique group of individuals. (It looked like a mullet convention.)

I love my job and getting paid to go to races, but this is one I'll definitely pass on next year. :thumdown:

oddlycalm
07-01-03, 11:23 AM
The only AMA flat track event that I would still attend would be the Springfield Mile. It is never a procession, either in the heats or the main, and the organization is usually pretty good. Still plenty of mullets to be seen.

Back when they were still running, the Sacramento and San Jose mile events were also worth a look. Not as many mullets either.

oc

pchall
07-01-03, 12:24 PM
AMA Flat Track is a nifty "show" for a very clearly defined niche market these days -- you need to love the smell of castor oil and like dirt in you beer cup.

A fine spectacle... only a stuffed shirt like me would expect actual racing. ;)

Railbird
07-01-03, 02:16 PM
The only AMA flat track show I've seen was at the Indiana Fair Grounds mile.

Kenny Roberts was astride a bastardized Yamaha with a two stroke roadracing engine wedged in. Good Lord was that a/the show.

afterwards he said he wouldn't do it again.

so I never went back.

even back then the crowd was interesting to say the least.

and that was back when some considered me fairly "interesting".

Napoleon
07-01-03, 02:26 PM
OK, this is killing me. What is a "flat track" and how does it differ from other kinds of tracks the AMA runs on?

Ankf00
07-01-03, 02:39 PM
flat oval dirt track and most ppl have H-D engines

Turn7
07-01-03, 03:26 PM
The AMA sanctions Superbike, Flat Track and Supercross on the Pro level.

This is flat track racing, somewhere between Superbike and Supercross is Superboring.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/amrace/02DT/results/images/day4/main2.jpg

Ankf00
07-01-03, 03:57 PM
don't forget they sanction and run moto too :)

pchall
07-01-03, 08:04 PM
hmmmmm. some events ain't racin'... hmmmm... racin' you watch every week...

Treeface
07-01-03, 09:35 PM
One of the reasons it's big with the mullet-heads is it's the only place H-D races and wins. Most of the tracks are mile or less dirt ovals with hay bales along the walls. They do run an oddball steeple chase track in Peoria with a jump:

http://www.peoriatt.org/GlenSchnabelJr.jpg

Railbird
07-01-03, 09:44 PM
I've always wanted to check out that Peoria TT.

The Harley advantage, which the AMA supports to keep the mullets happy, is the reason Yamaha went to the extremes of stuffing the roadracing two stroke into Robert's bike for the night I mentioned.

Shortly after that Kenny headed over to Europe to put a big US stamp on the World Championship.

Barry who?

pchall
07-02-03, 10:08 AM
The last time I was at a flat track show (1992 or 93) I talked with a Yamaha rider who said he'd prefer to be on a Harley, but Yamaha was paying A LOT of money...

RaceGrrl
07-02-03, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by pchall
The last time I was at a flat track show (1992 or 93) I talked with a Yamaha rider who said he'd prefer to be on a Harley, but Yamaha was paying A LOT of money...

:laugh:

Ziggy
07-02-03, 05:10 PM
I dont know what you wandered into rabbit, Lima has put on some pretty good races before. Was this the half mile track at the Fairgrounds?

Im not in the business of converting fans, but if you really want to see some skilled riders putting their butts on the line, AMA flat track racing has no peers. If you saw a single file race, it was no doubt caused by the track either being dry slick (almost all tracks that run stock cars on a regular basis have a problem with holding rubber)

AMA Flat Track Racing, or Grand National Championship, is nothing short of big balls and talent. To achieve the Expert Plate is no small feat, you cant buy one, you have to earn it. There are no bad expert riders, dont exist. Falling off is not real high on the to do list. Accidents are few and far between considering the risk involved. Mile's are the best, with Springfield being the best of the best. Indy Mile is also a very fast track. Without burning up the credit card for gas, I suggest the Chuck Jordon Memorial in Troy Ohio or the Mid Summer race in Greenville Ohio as excellent half miles worthy of admission.

Honda revolutionized the Flat Track scene in the late 80's only to be regulated into oblivion. They came, they learned, the conquered and where shown the door by the AMA. This era IMO would be considered the sports zenith. A watered down version now is being offered. That being said, a big track is still a big track, and the racing, at night, on a well prepared track, is breathtaking. 750 cc bikes still hold absolute track records at several well known venues.

The sport has a deep history. Many sacrifices have been made in an attempt to win the number one plate. Its a big deal....

Ziggy

Railbird
07-02-03, 09:22 PM
Thanks Zig

very well said.

Ankf00
07-03-03, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
I've always wanted to check out that Peoria TT.

The Harley advantage, which the AMA supports to keep the mullets happy, is the reason Yamaha went to the extremes of stuffing the roadracing two stroke into Robert's bike for the night I mentioned.

Shortly after that Kenny headed over to Europe to put a big US stamp on the World Championship.

Barry who?

I believe his name was Sheen and he only managed to win the World 500c.c. Championship a couple of times while riding with metal plates in his knees during his career on top of the 28 screws in his legs and left wrist.

Railbird
07-03-03, 03:19 PM
I'm very aware of who Barry Sheene (http://http://sport.guardian.co.uk/motorcycling/story/0,10531,911326,00.html) was and his accomplishments. He was a great rider.

Kenny Roberts handed him his ass.

oddlycalm
07-03-03, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
If you saw a single file race, it was no doubt caused by the track either being dry slick (almost all tracks that run stock cars on a regular basis have a problem with holding rubber)

Just watched the main at Springfield again on the Replay, and I lost count of the lead changes after 5 laps. Seeing Carr, King, Springsteen and the boys draft each other at 130mph then throw it into the turn had me on the edge of my seat like it always does for a mile, even if I'm not at the track. King broke Carr's streak of five straight wins by three inches at the wire after trading the lead back and forth the last 10 laps. That my friends is a close race.

This race is being re-aired a bunch right now if anyone wants to watch it. It'll be well worth you while if you do.

oc

Treeface
07-03-03, 05:46 PM
He certainly opened the gates for a decade plus of American champions.

The story behind the Yamaha: (http://www.motorworld.com/features/2001/January/tz750/)

http://www.motorworld.com/features/2001/January/tz750/Jpegs/04.jpg

Nice looking bike. Clean and light. Today everything has transformer shrouding or is yet another anniversary/classic knockoff cruiser. I guess there is no margin in selling basic transport.

Triumph and BSA were OK but Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki are bad with exceptions for dirt bikes, ATVs and water craft. :saywhat:

Railbird
07-03-03, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the link TreeFace.

That story tells me a lot more than I ever knew about it. I just remember watching Roberts wrestle that screaming sob around.

Ziggy
07-04-03, 01:37 PM
An interesting side note to this story

Roberts backup bike was stolen from the pit area that night, never to be seen again...

Tis a fact

Ziggy

PS - Feddie Spencer, Bubba Schobert and Doug Chandler were also converts from AMA Flat Track Racing. All, including Roberts, started out there.

chop456
07-06-03, 12:56 PM
The only race I ever saw was at Springfield in '92 or '93. It was a good race and a good time. I also got to spend most of the day dressed in a Smokey the Bear costume in 90+ degree heat.

Don't ask. :D