PDA

View Full Version : The new Chin

dando
11-17-13, 05:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/racing/f1/story/_/id/9992555/sebastian-vettel-wins-us-grand-prix-8th-straight-victory

</True Brit>

:gomer:

nissan gtp
11-17-13, 08:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/racing/f1/story/_/id/9992555/sebastian-vettel-wins-us-grand-prix-8th-straight-victory

</True Brit>

:gomer:

:D

TrueBrit
11-17-13, 09:54 PM
And as with that dirty, cheating, chopping, pointy-chinned bastard, F-1 is diabolically boring because of him. One can only hope that the new changes on tap for next year, and Kimi in a Ferrari can improve the show. Because this year was pretty dire imho.

opinionated ow
11-18-13, 11:26 AM
He's a lot more likeable than Herr Schumacher.

WickerBill
11-18-13, 11:57 AM
Don't hope for the new charges and Kimi in a Ferrari. Hope for the 400,000 rule changes / spec changes to catch up to Newey a bit.

TravelGal
11-18-13, 12:40 PM
Whatever, it was a snooze. Why so different from last year's COTA? Seriously, was it just that last year was new or ?? I really can't figure why I enjoyed last year's telecast but was fast forwarding through this year's.

Insomniac
11-18-13, 03:41 PM
Would a semi-spec chassis make sense? Let them develop wings and winglets, open back up the mechanical development instead? Make teams build their own engines, gearbox like the chassis? Get rid of the spec ECU? My main point is, by making so much other stuff spec, aren't they placing a premium on the ability to develop aero?

indyfan31
11-18-13, 10:32 PM
He's a lot more likeable than Herr Schumacher.
I used to think so, but once his true personality came out I found nothing really likable about him. :irked:

DagoFast
11-20-13, 10:13 AM
Would a semi-spec chassis make sense? Let them develop wings and winglets, open back up the mechanical development instead? Make teams build their own engines, gearbox like the chassis? Get rid of the spec ECU? My main point is, by making so much other stuff spec, aren't they placing a premium on the ability to develop aero?

Has the earl and the last decade taught you nothing? :confused: Rules makers attempting to "level the playing field" never ends well nor as planned.

If dominance by one team is the price we have to pay for open rules, then so be it. It simply falls to the other teams/drivers to catch up. Mess with that dynamic at your own peril.

Insomniac
11-20-13, 12:52 PM
Has the earl and the last decade taught you nothing? :confused: Rules makers attempting to "level the playing field" never ends well nor as planned.

If dominance by one team is the price we have to pay for open rules, then so be it. It simply falls to the other teams/drivers to catch up. Mess with that dynamic at your own peril.

What open rules? F1 has spec tires, engine designs that are frozen and spec ECU. IMO the emphasis is shifted toward aerodynamics away from mechanical systems. You can look at it as leveling the playing field, but it seems it's already imbalanced. F1 wants to contain costs, so I was tossing out ideas to freeze other parts instead.

DagoFast
11-20-13, 11:10 PM
What open rules? F1 has spec tires, engine designs that are frozen and spec ECU. IMO the emphasis is shifted toward aerodynamics away from mechanical systems. You can look at it as leveling the playing field, but it seems it's already imbalanced. F1 wants to contain costs, so I was tossing out ideas to freeze other parts instead.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you? It is true as you stated that F1 already has frozen engines, spec tires and spec ECU's. And within those constraints, wether instituted for cost control or competition control, RedBull and Vettle have gotten it right better than everyone else. And then you suggested a semi spec chassis. Presumably to tighten the competition. I simply see that as a fools errand and believe it will make things worse, not better. Allow me to explain.

When you place limits on tires, electronics and engines, you leave designers fewer areas to seek an advantage. And when someone like Adrian Newey out foxes everyone else aerodynamically, you have what we have had for the last 4 years. Because no one on other teams that may have a better engine design team to gain them more horsepower or a choice of tire makers that can help them maximize their own chassis performance. Or computer/electronics geeks that can out program and build a better ECU than someone else.

Maybe I'm just an old fogey, but I long for the days of more open competition. I truly despise todays self imposed engine/transmission performance and use limits. Even these stupid mandated tire usage rules make the racing contrived and boring. I loved 1000+HP qualifying engines and gum ball tires. Young fans today have no idea what they are missing.

And when you look at current F1 budgets? Show me where it really saves them any money.

cameraman
11-21-13, 12:53 AM
Michael Schumacher proved that you could take 900+ hp engines and gumball tires and have truly boring races. When you have unlimited everything you end up with launch/traction control, active suspension, ABS brakes, cvt transmissions and cars made of unobtanium. You'll end up with one car taking every race. They do need to reinstate more testing of drivers, cars and tires but it is the teams that are dead set against that. They don't want to spend the money. There needs to be a middle ground, finding it isn't easy.

Insomniac
11-21-13, 03:55 PM
Perhaps I am misunderstanding you? It is true as you stated that F1 already has frozen engines, spec tires and spec ECU's. And within those constraints, wether instituted for cost control or competition control, RedBull and Vettle have gotten it right better than everyone else. And then you suggested a semi spec chassis. Presumably to tighten the competition. I simply see that as a fools errand and believe it will make things worse, not better. Allow me to explain.

When you place limits on tires, electronics and engines, you leave designers fewer areas to seek an advantage. And when someone like Adrian Newey out foxes everyone else aerodynamically, you have what we have had for the last 4 years. Because no one on other teams that may have a better engine design team to gain them more horsepower or a choice of tire makers that can help them maximize their own chassis performance. Or computer/electronics geeks that can out program and build a better ECU than someone else.

Maybe I'm just an old fogey, but I long for the days of more open competition. I truly despise todays self imposed engine/transmission performance and use limits. Even these stupid mandated tire usage rules make the racing contrived and boring. I loved 1000+HP qualifying engines and gum ball tires. Young fans today have no idea what they are missing.

And when you look at current F1 budgets? Show me where it really saves them any money.

Yeah, looks like a misunderstanding. I was suggesting a semi-spec chassis while opening back up the engine/ECU, etc. instead of making it more spec. Personally, I've been obsessed for a long time on trying to get the aero to be less important so the car can't be near perfectly balanced on the whole track.

Insomniac
11-21-13, 03:57 PM
Michael Schumacher proved that you could take 900+ hp engines and gumball tires and have truly boring races. When you have unlimited everything you end up with launch/traction control, active suspension, ABS brakes, cvt transmissions and cars made of unobtanium. You'll end up with one car taking every race. They do need to reinstate more testing of drivers, cars and tires but it is the teams that are dead set against that. They don't want to spend the money. There needs to be a middle ground, finding it isn't easy.

I think the idea of freezing/spec does contain costs, I wonder if they can somehow rotate through different things so they're developing everything, but not at once.

Hard Driver
11-26-13, 10:19 PM
Vettel is just as good as Schumacher. I think he might intentionally crash someone out but he is yet to do it, and his starts have not been to drive others off the track with a vicious chop, so I will give him a tiny bit more credit than the dirty cheating bastard Schumacher was. He is not really likable, but I don't dislike him as much as I did the chin.