PDA

View Full Version : Where does he rank?

WickerBill
10-27-13, 08:35 PM
Wins: 36 in 117 starts (31%)
Poles: 43/117 (37%)

Can a line be drawn between success and talent? Yes, he's in a great car, but he has won championships going away, and extremely tight ones (2010, 2012)... I'm ready to see someone else win, but are we witnessing a once in a generation driver, or something more?

emjaya
10-27-13, 09:11 PM
Wins: 36 in 117 starts (31%)
Poles: 43/117 (37%)

Can a line be drawn between success and talent? Yes, he's in a great car, but he has won championships going away, and extremely tight ones (2010, 2012)... I'm ready to see someone else win, but are we witnessing a once in a generation driver, or something more?

The car makes him look great, imho. Without it he is just very, very good, like about ten other champions I could name.

He is, however, nowhere near being the biggest arsehole that has ever won a WDC.

cameraman
10-28-13, 10:53 AM
He is clearly an excellent driver and he also seems to do all of the other team related tasks extremely well. His main failing is he has no compunctions about throwing a teammate under the bus but that seems to be a very common trait amongst drivers.

Insomniac
10-29-13, 08:29 AM
He's up there, but it's not all said and done. And until Sunday I wasn't convinced he was the best driver on the track, but now I think he is.

datachicane
10-29-13, 12:07 PM
The car makes him look great, imho. Without it he is just very, very good, like about ten other champions I could name.

He is, however, nowhere near being the biggest arsehole that has ever won a WDC.

+1

Without Alonso or Hamilton next to him in an RB9, it's a mystery without an answer. That's the way it's always been with every dominant driver.

Elmo T
10-29-13, 01:29 PM
That's the way it's always been with every dominant driver.

Or dominant car?

How many drivers could hop into the ride and get the same results?

And they alluded to the fact that Newey pretty much designed the car around Vettel and his style. I don't want to see Red Bull taken down - I want to see Ferrari or Mercedes step up to the challenge.

A dominating season earns respect when each and every team has the ability to build a team like Red Bull. And if we complain about money being spent, then spec racing it shall be.

Andrew Longman
10-29-13, 02:31 PM
In the few situations when he was being pressured from behind he hasn't been exactly stellar.

He is in the upper quartile without a doubt though. Probably top 10% all time.

Makes me wonder about what might have happened to Bourdais if he wasn't paired with him at Toro Rossa. Granted Hampson gave him a dominant car in CC but he was pretty flawless as a driver too.

WickerBill
10-30-13, 07:26 AM
In the few situations when he was being pressured from behind he hasn't been exactly stellar.

I can only think of the Button last lap deal in Canada a few years back. What other instances am I missing? I think there is something to be said for the fact that he is rarely pressured from behind... he seems to always be able to pull out a couple tenths when necessary to avoid that situation.

Until Brazil last year, I wasn't impressed with how he did in competitive traffic... but in that race (where he got turned around and had to come from way back) and even last Sunday when his strategy dropped him down into the teens and he carved his way through much more quickly than others... I think he's only getting better.

Andrew Longman
10-30-13, 10:57 AM
I can only think of the Button last lap deal in Canada a few years back.There was that but I am sure there have been others. I just can't recall them specifically. You are correct that there have been few though. But is that the car or him which keeps him out of those situations?

What I'd like to do is look at his race craft when he was with Toro Rosa. I wasn't paying too much attention to him then beyond consistently out qualifying SeaBass.

I also think you are corrrect that he is getting better.

I haven't though seen him pull a Schumacher "we need you to run this time for the next 5 laps before pitting" stuff, but he also hasn't really needed to either.

WickerBill
10-30-13, 01:12 PM
I haven't though seen him pull a Schumacher "we need you to run this time for the next 5 laps before pitting" stuff, but he also hasn't really needed to either.

Right. But also haven't seen him run his championship rivals off the road to win a title, either. :\

cameraman
10-30-13, 02:04 PM
Right. But also haven't seen him run his championship rivals off the road to win a title, either. :\

Same can't be said for running his teammate off the road...

Andrew Longman
10-30-13, 09:00 PM
Same can't be said for running his teammate off the road...Given the car his teammate is the only person he needs to run off the road.

But WB, point taken. He is good but decidedly less ruthless.