PDA

View Full Version : Go Like Hell - Le Mans movie

Gnam
10-25-13, 09:07 PM
A racing movie renaissance?
I guess Hollywood saw what a big draw the Indycar racing snail was and they want more of that action. :tony:

Tom Cruise is returning to the world of auto racing for the first time since 1990′s “Days of Thunder,” reteaming with “Oblivion” director Joseph Kosinski on “Go Like Hell” for Fox.

The story centers on the battle between Ford and Ferrari for dominance in the sports car marketplace. The project is based on A.J. Baime’s book “Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and their Battle For Speed and Glory at Le Mans,” which recaps Ford’s successful 1966 challenge to Ferrari with a car designed by Carroll Shelby.

Cruise would portray Shelby, who teamed with Henry Ford II and Ford executive Lee Iacocca to change the image of the Ford brand by making a splash in European car racing, which had been dominated by Ferrari cars.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/tom-cruise-joseph-kosinski-board-go-to-hell-1200756272/

datachicane
10-26-13, 02:45 AM
Shelby? Whither Eric Broadley? :saywhat:

TravelGal
10-26-13, 09:10 AM
Needs more Harrison Ford. I can't see slicky Cruise as Shelby at all. Maybe the conniving part but hardly the personality.

stroker
10-26-13, 01:29 PM
Needs more Harrison Ford. I can't see slicky Cruise as Shelby at all. Maybe the conniving part but hardly the personality.

Since the Fat Suit in Tropical Thunder he's convinced he can play anyone.

JohnHKart
10-27-13, 05:01 AM
Who plays Ken Miles? Just finishing excellent Shelby bio. Cool to find out he lived in my neighborhood, Norwalk and La Mirada. Also read the go like hell book too.

Andrew Longman
10-27-13, 01:53 PM
Will they take a hint from Ron Howard about what makes for a successful and unsuccessful racing movies?

Well, Cruise is one of the very small number of remaining stars who is enough of a draw to make a movie successful commercially, but beside that I mean.

Things like not manufacturing drama when the truth is good enough, using period cars, attention to detail and minimal and appropriate use of computer graphics. And with a nod to the original LeMans give the cars and technology a starring role. :D

I know the story line but does anyone know about the book it is based on?