PDA

View Full Version : Ford’s Ultra-Efficient V6 Racer Breaks Daytona Speed Record

SurfaceUnits
10-13-13, 02:51 PM
Racing technology eventually finds its way into your car, but it rarely goes the other way around. Ford is standing that axiom on its head by not only equipping its new prototype racer with the heart of a production car, but setting a new speed record at the famous Daytona International Speedway with the same engine you get in a pickup truck.

Ford donated its EcoBoost (read: twin-turbocharged) 3.5-liter V6 to the Riley Technologies Daytona Prototype, and after considerable tuning and tweaking, the race car took to the track at Daytona to set a new record of 222.971 mph in a single lap around the track. That was enough to topple the 26-year-old record set by Bill Elliott in a Ford Thunderbird at 210.364 mph.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/10/ford-ecoboost-daytona/

NismoZ
10-13-13, 06:10 PM
So, is it USCR legal...will we see it next year? No current DP is that fast. A stunt... or foreshadowing of things to come? Surprisingly saying still in the 500+ hp. area. No ALMS P-2 could run the oval that fast. Not faster on the road course either, I expect. Are Chevy, BMW, Honda or Mazda dropping hints on what they might bring to the new series?

NismoZ
10-13-13, 10:57 PM
Of course I meant to say USCC...reading where we likely have gone from two series with too FEW cars to ONE series with TOO MANY? Not a bad thing, I suppose but I hope it's not a situation where teams may have to load up early and head home! Grid sizes vary slightly by track but it looks like (P) class gets 19 or 20, (PC) gets 10, (GTLM) gets 12-14-16 or 19 and (GTD) gets 19... And 21 at Detroit. Strange. So the way I read it they can run up to 68-70 cars, more with a few GTXers...at Daytona? Crikey! They'll have separate class races at Laguna and?? Now you know why Lime Rock is excluded! Accidents might slim down the fields as the season progresses! Those who want to see "passing" should be pleased.

SurfaceUnits
10-14-13, 11:49 AM
USCC?? - US Cross Country Snowmobile Racing Series???

For some reason USCR is the initialism, maybe the name of the series, but the United Sports Car Championship appears to be the racing season moniker