PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull Has Traction Control?

Insomniac
10-11-13, 09:58 AM
Former F1 team owner Giancarlo Minardi was at the race in Singapore and noticed something odd when Vettel’s car would accelerate out of the first set of tight turns on the street circuit. On his site, Minardi says, “The thing that surprised me the most was the RB1 engine’s output sound.” It was different than every other car going through the same section, with a low-end grinding noise emanating from the car.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/10/red-bull-f1-traction-control/

NismoZ
10-11-13, 11:55 AM
So Vettel referred to "it" openly in a post race interview... way back when...and NOW we worry about a conspiracy theory? So...it's ok to use and he wonders why nobody else has figured out how to do "it"? I'd like to hear an explanation of that quote that says he was just joking and taunting the lame competition at the time. That quote would be like Ol' Lance saying, "Sure, I used a cocktail of banned performance enhancing substances in training for The Tour but they really didn't seem to help much until the actual race. All SEVEN of 'em! Funny how nobody else has figured out how to do that!" I guess Vettel is just THAT good! (I certainly recall that sound and I didn't hear it from anyone else.)

cameraman
10-11-13, 11:58 AM
Legal traction control as it does not involve the ecu. Very crafty folks at Red Bull.

NismoZ
10-11-13, 06:23 PM
So the "spirit" of the law allows for legal AND illegal traction control? It is written that traction control IS legal as long as it doesn't involve the ECU? A "crafty" violation of the rule is not a violation? It may not sound like it but I have no position one way or the other on this but...is this a positive, new, crafty development that will improve F-1 going forward? Jim Hall's wings, skirts and sucker engines seemed pretty crafty to me. Didn't last long, though.

pfc_m_drake
10-11-13, 07:54 PM
So the "spirit" of the law allows for legal AND illegal traction control? It is written that traction control IS legal as long as it doesn't involve the ECU? A "crafty" violation of the rule is not a violation? It may not sound like it but I have no position one way or the other on this but...is this a positive, new, crafty development that will improve F-1 going forward? Jim Hall's wings, skirts and sucker engines seemed pretty crafty to me. Didn't last long, though.
Well, let me put it to you this way: It's these 'crafty' violations of the rules and the constant pursuit of technological excellence that keep me interested in F1.

On the other hand, IndyCar - despite everybody telling me is consistently the best racing on 4 wheels with its spec cars and managed competition - I have a hard time generating the same level of interest. Oddly, it wasn't always that way. I wonder what happened?

Gnam
10-11-13, 08:58 PM
When results matter, people get inventive. It doesn't matter who wins or loses in Indycar.

cameraman
10-12-13, 05:38 AM
And the main point is that it is not a violation of the rules. The redesigned their KERS to make the car faster. That is the entire point of F1.

Insomniac
10-12-13, 02:49 PM
I personally enjoy this. It's engineering at its best IMO. It's a shame it seems to always be Red Bull doing it though. Great for them, not as much for fans.

NismoZ
10-12-13, 05:39 PM
GOSH! Webber takes pole, Vettel has "trouble" with his KERS. Interesting.;) So, traction control is NOT illegal? Will the rule be rewritten or will everyone else have to buy in to stay relevant?

Insomniac
10-13-13, 01:00 PM
GOSH! Webber takes pole, Vettel has "trouble" with his KERS. Interesting.;) So, traction control is NOT illegal? Will the rule be rewritten or will everyone else have to buy in to stay relevant?

Have to see the rules for sure, but it may be defined as electronic means. Or perhaps there's no reference to it with the spec ECU and saying modification of the ECU is prohibited.

Rogue Leader
10-14-13, 08:59 AM

While I'm not defending, KERS also does give a power boost as well, so theoretically it could be that.....

DagoFast
10-14-13, 09:54 PM
Rocky bought it from Carl & Bernie. They weren't using it anymore...:p