PDA

View Full Version : 30 laps! HAHAHAHAHA!

mapguy
06-29-03, 07:00 AM
That's all it took for that wanker DNFisher to go from second to being lapped. That has to be some kind of record. She sucks.

:thumdown: Pathetic.

One more thing. Scott Dixon led flag to flag. No passes for the lead. Isn't this the same type of thing that the lemmings used to beeatch about C^RT races?

Was it me or did Cornish-Hen have a rev-limiter that was a little more equal than the others? I know that Richmond is a handling track but the former Atlantics washout was realing in Toyota's and Honda's. I find that hard to beleive with 40 less hp.

Railbird
06-29-03, 07:47 AM
Sam was passing in the corners up high, a wanked up rev limiter won't do that for you. How old was Sam during his FTA days? Didn't he win one or two?

He did a hell of a job imo.

Sarah, on the other hand, stunk the joint up.

Dixon is just as good as we always knew he was and Ganassi is Ganassi.

Pretty good show.

pchall
06-29-03, 07:55 AM
If that had been a CART race the lemmings would be peeing themselves trying to get posts in at TF about no passes for the lead on the track.

RaceGrrl
06-29-03, 08:00 AM
'bird- which do you enjoy more, the IRL or the CART parades?

Railbird
06-29-03, 08:31 AM
Dunno Grrrrl, I'm too interested in this here Euro parade to think about it right now.

mapguy
06-29-03, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Railbird
Didn't he win one or two?

One, at the Chicago paper-clip. He never even got close to a podium before or after that. Fluke win.

Railbird
06-29-03, 08:57 AM
How old was he and how much experience did he have at that time?

IMO he did a nice job last night, of course I'm just speaking my mind rather than reacting to the lemming's chants of King Sam.

mapguy
06-29-03, 08:59 AM
How old was he and how much experience did he have at that time?

IMO he did a nice job last night, of course I'm just speaking my mind rather than reacting to the lemming's chants of King Sam.

I think that it was 1999. IIRC that was his first year in Atlantics and he had a few unimpressive years in F2k.

pchall
06-29-03, 09:16 AM
Dunno Grrrrl, I'm too interested in this here Euro parade to think about it right now.

Cute deflection shot.

Railbird
06-29-03, 09:29 AM
your point pchall?

I enjoy all of them if that's what you're needling/noodling about.

pchall
06-29-03, 09:43 AM
Answer her question.

Railbird
06-29-03, 09:54 AM
oh!

Yes sir!

I find that I usually enjoy the race I am watching at any one particular moment the best.

is dat good enough fer your stuffed shirt pchall?

:p

FRANKY
06-29-03, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by mapguy
That's all it took for that wanker DNFisher to go from second to being lapped. That has to be some kind of record. She sucks.

:thumdown: Pathetic.

One more thing. Scott Dixon led flag to flag. No passes for the lead. Isn't this the same type of thing that the lemmings used to beeatch about C^RT races?

Was it me or did Cornish-Hen have a rev-limiter that was a little more equal than the others? I know that Richmond is a handling track but the former Atlantics washout was realing in Toyota's and Honda's. I find that hard to beleive with 40 less hp.

You are preaching to the choir on Fisher.

On Hornish you resort to name calling and accusations of cheating rather than taking notice that his same style of driving that got him and his boat anchor as high as 8th in the IRL 497.5 is what carries him past his competitors in other races.

pchall
06-29-03, 12:14 PM
oh!
is dat good enough fer your stuffed shirt pchall?

:p

Yes.

Over the years I have found the indiscriminant palate to be one that really has no sense of taste at all.

Railbird
06-29-03, 12:51 PM
LOL

and I've found the faux-sophisticate to be the one in constant pursuit of image.

Now hand me a beer and turn up the damn TV pchall, they're racing some butt-ugly things on SPEED and I've got to finish waxing the Cavalier.

Warlock!
06-29-03, 01:22 PM
:rofl:

Bird and Pete, sometimes you guys are the most entertaining part of this forum. I hope you both can make it to the Woo Doggies season-closer, cause I'm buyin' the both of ya a bunch o' tequila! LMAO! :thumbup: :D

Warlock!

nrc
06-29-03, 01:37 PM
Whatever one may think about Hornish's talent level, it's hardly accurate to call him an "Atlantics washout." He was ROY, widely considered to be on a factor for next season. He had the money to pay for a ride the next year if he wanted one.

He simply chose to spend his money where it would suit his oval bent and actually get him some exposure. Then one day Jack Arute declared him a short track oval hero and the rest is history.

Would the IRL put their thumb on the scale to make sure their poster boy is competitive with the evil foriegners even when saddled with a Chevy? I don't doubt it.

SteveH
06-29-03, 01:47 PM
Sam Hornish,

he's just that good.

Ziggy
06-29-03, 02:28 PM
nrc writes - "Would the IRL put their thumb on the scale to make sure their poster boy is competitive with the evil foriegners even when saddled with a Chevy? I don't doubt it."

And I would agree with this 100%. What made it even more telling was the fact that if the Chevy is that down on horse power, Sam seemed to be pulling away on exit of the corner. You dont out accelerate a Honda when your down 40 hp in a straight line.Going around, yes, leaving for dead, no. This reminds me of deFerran losing 8 mph on the final laps of an Earl race somewhere last season.... as his schtic is getting old, they are going to trot out a new "director" in Blanch for a fresh "spin" on things it appears.

Ziggy

Railbird
06-29-03, 02:42 PM
corner speed leads to exit speed leads to staightaway speed Zig, but you knew that.

While the factory Chevy may have had a few more ponies I still think it was mainly a good setup on an all momentum track that had Sam going forward. When he had to lift it sure didn't look like he had any magic motor to get back up to speed.

Did he get the call?

Nothing in racing has suprised me in a long time.

cart7
06-29-03, 03:54 PM
originally posted by Ziggy
This reminds me of deFerran losing 8 mph on the final laps of an Earl race somewhere last season.... as his schtic is getting old, they are going to trot out a new "director" in Blanch for a fresh "spin" on things it appears.
It was at Richmond last year. One of the oddest races I've ever seen. In the closing laps Gil was leading, followed by Hornish and a host of others. Suddenly Gil bobbles and Sam swoops in and passes. The report was that there was something wrong with Gils car. Yet, no one in P3 - 6 ever passed Gil nor did they ever change the distance between themselves. Hornish on the other hand, begins pulling away from Gil like his car is on nitrous, which was funny because he had be having problems with his rev-limiter all night kicking in at the ends of the short straights there at Richmond. The announcers had even mentioned it. Nobody behind Gil ever passed his mysteriously ailing car, meanwhile, Hornish, who could barely pass anyone all night, rocketed off with at least a 1/4lap lead victory. This was also the race of the infamous Hemelgarn "Plugging a fuel hose into a burning car in the pit" incident.

I'd say that race, along with Jr's '01 4th of July Daytona victory were the only ones I've watched were it really seemed like a call had been made.

Peter Venkman
06-29-03, 08:11 PM
"...I still think it was mainly a good setup on an all momentum track that had Sam going forward. When he had to lift it sure didn't look like he had any magic motor to get back up to speed."

I think that I agree, but I'm not sure.

By that I mean that I've seen Hornish run through a field that belied the apparent lack of power from his Chevy, and I still have a rough time thing that “the call” can ever really exist in any series. I know a few drivers that wouldn’t put up with anything that came near to “the call”, real or imagined. But I also don’t think that Hornish is as good as some people think he is. I’ve seen him do some pretty stupid moves and I still think that he’s going to have a very bad day someday.

IMO, his apparent success is no less than 80% setup by very experienced race engineering, and the remaining 20% is not all talent.

Railbird
06-29-03, 10:58 PM
First I'll say that I agree with cart7 on the wierdness of the last Richmond finish, Sam's move and sudden ability to pull away was stange, but racing can be that way. Once is once unlike the plate supremecy thing imo.

And

To Peter, I've been saying that Superman hasn't been born but some folks don't want to hear it. Sam is a fine young driver but Panther is the one that puts that racecar under him.

I don't get into percentages but the combination starts and finishes with a team that can find what a young driver needs, whether he realizes it or not, and deliver that to him.

I'm thinking I've seen a little more maturity on the chance taking thing lately. When he first started seeing some success I was afraid he had been reading too much of his own press on the "fearless" thing.

Ziggy
06-30-03, 07:11 AM
I am reminded of the late Greg Moore watching the in-car of Hornish zipping around the outside of guys.......

Ziggy