10-05-13, 06:45 PM
I vote for the washington Scalpers

dando
10-05-13, 07:21 PM
I vote for the washington Scalpers

Deadskins. :gomer:

stroker
10-06-13, 12:28 AM
The Bureaucrats, obviously. Their mascot would be a red stapler.

Gnam
10-06-13, 12:32 AM
DC DoNothings
DC Divided
DC Dumbasses

nrc
10-06-13, 12:59 AM
They should change it to the redskins with a potato for their logo.

Or maybe they could move it to London and rename it the Redcoats.

WickerBill
10-06-13, 02:20 PM
I'm enthralled with Redcoats. Let's start an online petition. Those always work.

The uniform possibilities are amazing.

Insomniac
10-06-13, 07:18 PM
Washington Powhatans. Change the R to a P and keep the same logo.

SurfaceUnits
10-06-13, 08:55 PM
so much poopycock

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), the ruling authority on college athletics, distributed a “self evaluation” to 31 colleges in 2005, for teams to examine the use of potentially offensive imagery with their mascot choice.[51] Subsequently 19 teams were cited as having potentially "hostile or abusive" names, mascots, or images, that would be banned from displaying them during post-season play, and prohibited from hosting tournaments.[52] Since then, all of the colleges previously using the nickname Indians changed them; Arkansas State University to Red Wolves, Indiana University of Pennsylvania to Crimson Hawks, McMurry University to War Hawks, Midwestern State University to Mustangs, Newberry College to Wolves, University of Louisiana at Monroe to Warhawks, and Catawba College to Catawba Indians with approval of that tribe.[53] The College of William and Mary (W&M) had previously changed from "Indians" to The Tribe, but was cited due to two feathers in its logo, which were removed. After a brief period of having the frog-like character Colonel Ebirt as its unofficial mascot, W&M selected the Griffin in 2010. Both Alcorn State University[54] and Bradley University kept the nickname Braves but change their mascots, while the Chowan University Braves became the Hawks. The Carthage College Redmen became the Red Men, and the Southeastern Oklahoma State University Savages changed to Savage Storm. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Fighting Illini kept the nickname as referring to the state, not Native Americans, but officially stopped using the Chief Illiniwek image and mascot in 2007, although an attachment remains among students and alumni.[55][56][57]

The University of North Dakota initially challenged the NCAA policy in court, but settled in 2007 when it was given three years to obtain consent from the Sioux tribes in the state.[58] When one tribe refused permission,[59] the state Board of Higher Education proceeded with plans to eliminate the Fighting Sioux name and logo. In 2011 the State Legislature voted that the university should retain the name but in a 2012 referendum the voters decided to proceed with the change, which has been completed but no alternative nickname or logo has been selected.[60][61]

Four additional colleges originally on the "hostile and abusive" list: Central Michigan University (Chippewas), Florida State University (Seminoles), Mississippi College (Choctaws) and University of Utah (Utes) were granted waivers to retain their nicknames after gaining support from those respective tribes.

The only time 99% of American ever thought about injuns was in regards to team mascots. Now that is talken away.

TravelGal
06-18-14, 02:20 PM
So now they've lost their trademark on the name but not the logo. The LOGO is less offensive? Oh, because it's accurate? Geez. :shakehead:

Don Quixote
06-18-14, 02:51 PM
If I was the owner I would keep the logo and just not have a nickname. Washington. Washington what? Just Washington.

Tifosi24
06-18-14, 03:52 PM
If I was the owner I would keep the logo and just not have a nickname. Washington. Washington what? Just Washington.

The University of North Dakota does it.

SteveH
06-18-14, 03:59 PM
They should change it to the redskins with a potato for their logo.

Or maybe they could move it to London and rename it the Redcoats.

http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/igc/redskins.jpg

Even though PETA came out with this last year, I think it's rather clever. Especially if I had a filet to go along with it.

cameraman
06-18-14, 04:07 PM
The Northern Ute Tribe just renegotiated the licensing deal with the University of Utah. The University gets to continue to use the Ute name and the drum and feather logo along with a number of ceremonial displays during Native American Heritage Month. In return members of the Northern Ute Tribe get 100% tuition/fee waivers at the University of Utah. Along with an educational outreach program for youth on the Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation and students on campus in Salt Lake City, including summer youth camps, college recruiting trips, and visits by U. athletes to the reservation. They have full time academic counselors at the high school(s) to help with the college prep.

http://d1jrw5jterzxwu.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/styles/article_header_image/public/uploads/2012/08/UtahUtes.jpeg

Insomniac
06-19-14, 08:02 AM
So now they've lost their trademark on the name but not the logo. The LOGO is less offensive? Oh, because it's accurate? Geez. :shakehead:

Isn't it though? We have the Indians, Seminoles and Blackhawks. Is Washington's logo offensive because of the name or because it portrays a Native American?

opinionated ow
06-19-14, 09:39 AM
http://candyhero.com/static/files/6539.jpg

I'd keep calling it the Redskins...then tell them it's named after the Australian candy. But then I hate political correctness

chop456
06-19-14, 09:39 AM
Where's IlliniRacer when you need him? :D

SteveH
06-19-14, 09:40 AM
Isn't it though? We have the Indians, Seminoles and Blackhawks. Is Washington's logo offensive because of the name or because it portrays a Native American?

One of these might be a problem...

Don Quixote
06-19-14, 01:47 PM
Why is the Blackhawk smiling? He just lost.

Andrew Longman
06-19-14, 02:47 PM
Reading the ruling, it applies only to every trademark containing the name, "Redskins". Not the logo.

And it seems to correctly follow the written law that says you can't get protection for a name that is considered disparaging at all to pretty much anyone. And that's been the law for a long time, including when the trademark was renewed in 1990. The board got some pretty simple straightforward evidence that native Americans were offended by the term "Redskins" as far back as at least 1990.

But the Skins were only three years removed from a Super Bowl win in 1990 and the people in power never intended or viewed IMO the term to be offensive, even if it was. I think it was inconceivable to rule against the trademark in 1990, even if that's what the law prescribed. Today not so much.

Cameraman, just curious if a chunk of Utah taxpayers are grumpy about paying for special services to the Ute tribe members just so they can keep the nickname at the state school? Or if others feel that if the tribe needs help they should get it without either side holding the nickname hostage?

I do feel there is a difference between a term like Redskins and proper names like Chippewa, even if at one time Whites didn't see a difference.

As for a replacement name... I like "Potomacs"

cameraman
06-19-14, 03:21 PM
The whole thing is funded off the sales of U of U logo merchandise. The entire Ute tribe is about 3500 people so it doesn't amount to a large sum of money, there are not that many college students at any given time. Also it is in-state University of Utah tuition, full load next year is ~$4000 a semester.

G.
06-19-14, 05:55 PM
The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), the ruling authority on college athletics, distributed a “self evaluation” to 31 colleges in 2005, for teams to examine the use of potentially offensive imagery with their mascot choice.[51] Subsequently 19 teams were cited as having potentially "hostile or abusive" names, mascots, or images, that would be banned from displaying them during post-season play, and prohibited from hosting tournaments.[52] Since then, all of the colleges previously using the nickname Indians changed them; Arkansas State University to Red Wolves, Indiana University of Pennsylvania to Crimson Hawks, McMurry University to War Hawks, Midwestern State University to Mustangs, Newberry College to Wolves, University of Louisiana at Monroe to Warhawks, and Catawba College to Catawba Indians with approval of that tribe.[53] The College of William and Mary (W&M) had previously changed from "Indians" to The Tribe, but was cited due to two feathers in its logo, which were removed. After a brief period of having the frog-like character Colonel Ebirt as its unofficial mascot, W&M selected the Griffin in 2010. Both Alcorn State University[54] and Bradley University kept the nickname Braves but change their mascots, while the Chowan University Braves became the Hawks. The Carthage College Redmen became the Red Men, and the Southeastern Oklahoma State University Savages changed to Savage Storm. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Fighting Illini kept the nickname as referring to the state, not Native Americans, but officially stopped using the Chief Illiniwek image and mascot in 2007, although an attachment remains among students and alumni.[55][56][57]

The University of North Dakota initially challenged the NCAA policy in court, but settled in 2007 when it was given three years to obtain consent from the Sioux tribes in the state.[58] When one tribe refused permission,[59] the state Board of Higher Education proceeded with plans to eliminate the Fighting Sioux name and logo. In 2011 the State Legislature voted that the university should retain the name but in a 2012 referendum the voters decided to proceed with the change, which has been completed but no alternative nickname or logo has been selected.[60][61]

Four additional colleges originally on the "hostile and abusive" list: Central Michigan University (Chippewas), Florida State University (Seminoles), Mississippi College (Choctaws) and University of Utah (Utes) were granted waivers to retain their nicknames after gaining support from those respective tribes.

So get rid of any representation of Native American cultural representation, but do it for everybody. Outlaw headdresses, teepees, arrowheads, etc., for all of America. Including the actual tribes.

Change the names of all of the cities and states to something non-Native American.

Too far? :gomer:

cameraman
06-19-14, 06:34 PM
All I know is if you want to start a fight with a native American, just about any tribe, call someone a "redskin". That's pretty much a guaranteed brawl. Most don't care all that much about logos or caricatures but "redskin" is way over the line and carries the weight of every miserable thing that has happened to native Americans since Columbus made landfall. Is it currently viewed as highly offensive by the vast majority of native Americans. I can't quite figure out why people have a hard time wrapping their brains around that.

Gnam
06-19-14, 09:26 PM
What if you call 'em Chief? Are those fighting words?

How long before we start renaming cities named after saints?
Wouldn't want to offend anyone.

WickerBill
06-19-14, 09:33 PM
I remember being a young boy and asking my dad why they were called the Redskins. He -- a very conservative capitalist man -- was embarrassed to tell me about it, and told me it was not a nice word, and I shouldn't use it except when talking football. Mid 1970s.

We're just so used to it, it's hard to imagine why it's a problem.

Andrew Longman
06-19-14, 10:05 PM
Sounds sensible camera guy. Especially the tuition rate. In state rates here average $12,000 a year. :rolleyes: That's partly why daughter is transferring to UofRI next fall. No economic reason to stay in state and at those rates there are a lot of better schools to pick from.

Back on topic, I hate to see the Feds force a change for the Skins. Snyder should just be a lot more enlightened as well as see this as an opportunity to sell a whole bunch of new merchandise with a new name on it. ;)

But Snyder has yet to show he has the slightest clue about being a successful owner.

stroker
06-20-14, 09:51 AM
how about the Washington Fascists? They could have a little trio of mascots featuring Hitler, Stalin and Mao....?

Insomniac
06-20-14, 12:42 PM
All I know is if you want to start a fight with a native American, just about any tribe, call someone a "redskin". That's pretty much a guaranteed brawl. Most don't care all that much about logos or caricatures but "redskin" is way over the line and carries the weight of every miserable thing that has happened to native Americans since Columbus made landfall. Is it currently viewed as highly offensive by the vast majority of native Americans. I can't quite figure out why people have a hard time wrapping their brains around that.

I don't think they do, but the not offensive side keeps referring to this survey: http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/redskins-question-in-2004-annenberg-study-cited-anew-in-controversy/

Insomniac
06-20-14, 12:44 PM
Back on topic, I hate to see the Feds force a change for the Skins. Snyder should just be a lot more enlightened as well as see this as an opportunity to sell a whole bunch of new merchandise with a new name on it. ;)

But Snyder has yet to show he has the slightest clue about being a successful owner.

He also backed himself into a corner declaring the name will never change.

TravelGal
06-20-14, 12:51 PM
how about the Washington Fascists? They could have a little trio of mascots featuring Hitler, Stalin and Mao....?

Dammmit. Nearly ruined with keyboard with coffee spew.

stroker
06-20-14, 12:54 PM
Dammmit. Nearly ruined with keyboard with coffee spew.

Think of the Stooges possibilities....

"Ja!" < eyepoke>
"Nyet!" < palm deflect >
"Woowoowoowoowoowoo!" < shuffle >

Insomniac
06-23-14, 11:43 AM
I heard Washington Pigskins suggested.

datachicane
06-23-14, 12:03 PM
Washington Hoskins?

http://www.angelfire.com/celeb/bobhoskins/images/smallrabbit10.jpg

Gnam
06-23-14, 12:41 PM
Washington Bills
http://s22.postimg.org/macfpb0q5/george_washington_dollar.jpg

Rename Buffalo's team the Buffalo Buffaloes.

it is fun to say buffalo. :)

Gnam
10-02-14, 09:15 PM
All I know is if you want to start a fight with a native American, just about any tribe, call someone a "redskin".
It's interesting how language changes. This paper, written in 2005 by a linguist working at the Smithsonian, documents the first uses of the word 'redskin' and shows it was not originally a pejorative. The paper is boring as hell, but it does have Magua in it. ;)

http://anthropology.si.edu/goddard/redskin.pdf
http://anthropology.si.edu/goddard/

Once an innocuous word, now a racial slur. I wonder what words we use today will be verboten in the future.

Al Czervik
10-03-14, 10:39 AM
It's interesting how language changes. This paper, written in 2005 by a linguist working at the Smithsonian, documents the first uses of the word 'redskin' and shows it was not originally a pejorative. The paper is boring as hell, but it does have Magua in it. ;)

http://anthropology.si.edu/goddard/redskin.pdf
http://anthropology.si.edu/goddard/

Once an innocuous word, now a racial slur. I wonder what words we use today will be verboten in the future.

'Hulman' and 'George' come to mind.

G.
10-03-14, 01:19 PM
I wonder what words we use today will be verboten in the future.

The words "Idiot", "Moron", "Imbecile", and "Retarded" are medical terms.

'Hulman' and 'George' come to mind.

Please see above.

EVL29
10-07-14, 10:55 AM
What should the Washington Redskins' new Name be?

Maryland Redskins.

EVL29
10-07-14, 11:01 AM

Is this based on your personal experience?

Pretty much all the Indians I've ever known have been remarkably indifferent to the word "redskin" as an insult/epithet,primarily because its never really used as one. Call 'em a drunken injun on the other hand.....

Also note,the only Indians I've ever known to use the term "native american" are the ones who earn a living off of white guilt. "Indian" has always been the default term,though tribal designation(Navajo,Shoshone, etc.) is almost always preferred.