PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clancy RIP

KLang
10-02-13, 10:44 AM
:(

My favorite author for a period of time. Red Storm Rising still one of my favorite books.

Wonder if he was smoking til the end?

dando
10-02-13, 12:53 PM
:(

My favorite author for a period of time. Red Storm Rising still one of my favorite books.

Wonder if he was smoking til the end?

The last author I read regularly. RIP, Mr. Clancy. :(

Gnam
10-02-13, 02:24 PM
His books and movies were great entertainment.

I half expect to find out it's a CIA cover story and that he's laying on a beach somewhere. RIP.

Don Quixote
10-02-13, 04:05 PM
Great story teller. I read somewhere that after Red Storm Rising came out the Defense Dept called him in for a meeting to find out where he learned all this stuff.

dando
10-02-13, 09:59 PM
Great story teller. I read somewhere that after Red Storm Rising came out the Defense Dept called him in for a meeting to find out where he learned all this stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy

Clancy's literary career began with The Hunt for Red October in 1985, which he sold for publishing to the Naval Institute Press for $5,000.[3] The publisher was impressed with the work; Deborah Grosvenor, the editor at the Naval Institute Press that read through the work, said later that she convinced the publisher that "I think we have a potential best seller here, and if we don’t grab this thing, somebody else would," and considered that Clancy had an "innate storytelling ability, and his characters had this very witty dialogue".[3] The publisher requested Clancy to cut numerous technical details, amounting to about 100 pages.[3] After publication, the book received praise from President Ronald Reagan, calling the work "my kind of yarn", subsequently boosting sales of the book.[3] The book was critically praised for its technical accuracy, which lead to Clancy meeting several high-ranking officers in the U.S. Military.[3]

Debt of Honor (1994) was prophetic glimpse into the future 9/11.

Andrew Longman
10-02-13, 10:17 PM
Great story teller. I read somewhere that after Red Storm Rising came out the Defense Dept called him in for a meeting to find out where he learned all this stuff.Yep he was selling insurance and the Cold War was still on. No military channel or Internet. A lot of stuff he was writing accurately in Hunt for Red October was supposed to be classified. He was just an uber buff who collected bits and pieces and networked with other buffs and military type and pieced it together.

The Defense Dept didn't think it was possible.

TravelGal
10-03-13, 01:00 AM
And the Naval Insitute Press shopped it all over New York to the major publishing houses. They knew it was going to require print orders lin paperback larger than anything they could handle. That's how he ended up at Putnam (now, alas part of the Penguin empire). It was the talk of the publishing industry, which I was still a part of in those days.

The movie is one of my favorites. First time I was aware of Sam Neill. "I would have liked to have seen Montana." Ramius, the middle of everthing, deciding to critique Ryan's book. "Halsey acted stupidly." The great Courtney Vance, "It's gonna be CLOSE!" And the penutimate scene wtih the Secretary (??), "Don't tell me you've lost ANOTHER submarine?" No, I've seen it a dozen times. Nah.

Napoleon
10-03-13, 05:38 AM
Never read a book of his but the movie Hunt for Red October maybe my favorite movie of all time. It is a great story.

dando
10-03-13, 08:30 AM
Never read a book of his but the movie Hunt for Red October maybe my favorite movie of all time. It is a great story.

Nappy, you should read a few. The detail in his books is astounding. I was hooked reading him after The Cardinal of the Kremlin (which I think would have made a great movie). The Sum of All Fears was really botched on the screen compared to the book, and they did a disservice to Clear & Present Danger by killing off FBI chief Dan Murray. He was a key character in the Sum of All Fears (the next in the Jack Ryan series). Plus, Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan in Sum was as bad of a choice as Ben Affleck for the new Batman. Affleck as Batman == Clooney as Batman. Bad. Oil and water don't mix. :saywhat: Affleck needs to stay to his Clerks roots.

Don Quixote
10-03-13, 10:02 AM
The Cardinal of the Kremlin is another good one, although somewhat dated in the post cold war era. The first cold war that is. ;)