PDA

View Full Version : USA - New Zealand (spoilers)

dando
09-25-13, 06:18 PM
Sorry, Rusty. Not. :gomer: :p

In sailing terms, it was the equivalent of the Boston Red Sox sweeping the final four games of the 2004 ALCS over the New York Yankees, the only 3-0 comeback in major league history. It's also comparable to the Philadelphia Flyers overcoming a 0-3 deficit to beat the Boston Bruins in the 2010 NHL playoffs.

:thumbup:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/sailing/story/_/id/9723154/oracle-beats-new-zealand-keep-america-cup-comeback-victory

There used to be a day when I would stay up late to watch the America's Cup. I had no idea it was underway. :saywhat:

cameraman
09-25-13, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the spoiler:flaming:

dando
09-25-13, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the spoiler:flaming:

Dude, I had no idea it was even being televised. I used to stay up until 2am watching the races with the Ozzies on E$PN in the late 80s and early 90s. Apologies. I saw no coverage of it until this AM.

cameraman
09-25-13, 06:47 PM
Every race has been broadcast live on NBCSP. There's been a solid 30 hours of live coverage so far.

opinionated ow
09-25-13, 06:50 PM
A pity that Team USA was skippered by an Aussie and full of Aussies, Poms and Kiwis!

nissan gtp
09-25-13, 07:16 PM
great race, amazing come-back.

chop456
09-26-13, 01:10 AM
A pity that Team USA was skippered by an Aussie and full of Aussies, Poms and Kiwis!

Yet they were still able to win.

Kiwifan
09-26-13, 02:38 AM
No sour grapes but the country is pretty gutted at the mo. Lots of folk using the C word but I don't think they choked, Oracle was always fast but not sailed that well at the start. Amazing how Larry was able to buy the best crew, builders and technology in a few weeks. He flew 13 Kiwi boat builders up to SF last week.

Word is he has Boeing levellers in the boat to enable it to get up on the foils quicker and smoother as opposed to the hands on Kiwi boat. I think most folk down here appreciate that the faster boat won but it still hurts. :-;

Not sure about the thread title tho, shouldn't it have been "USA > New Zealand"? :-)

Rusty.

WickerBill
09-26-13, 05:14 AM
It should be Oracle > NZ. I don't claim Ellison or anything he does for the flag.

I hope his face catches fire.

chop456
09-26-13, 05:31 AM
It should be Oracle > NZ. I don't claim Ellison or anything he does for the flag.

DB hate. :D

Kiwifan
09-26-13, 06:07 AM
He BOUGHT a boat builders yard in Warkworth and it was they who designed and made the boat. I think they were the only Kiwis rooting for Oracle, oh and the guy who put 10 grand on them last week at $3.80. :D

I don't think money was a problem for Larry but our guys were depending on sponsors and $NZ36 from the NZ Govt.

On a positive note San Fran shone and the people were their typical friendly selves.

datachicane
09-26-13, 02:43 PM
I'm in the middle of a huge $&#! with Oracle right now coming up on my State's health insurance exchange implementation on Oct. 1. Just made progress about an hour ago when Oracle finally admitted that the problem I've been beating my head against for the last week was due to firewall misconfiguration at their remote host site, which was consistent with my initial analysis. It will now take superhuman effort to meet our deadline.
Thanks, guys!

nissan gtp
09-26-13, 08:58 PM

too good for him

nissan gtp
09-26-13, 09:00 PM
I'm in the middle of a huge $&#! with Oracle right now coming up on my State's health insurance exchange implementation on Oct. 1. Just made progress about an hour ago when Oracle finally admitted that the problem I've been beating my head against for the last week was due to firewall misconfiguration at their remote host site, which was consistent with my initial analysis. It will now take superhuman effort to meet our deadline.
Thanks, guys!

I hope they invoiced you for $750,000 (that's an Oracle "deal")

TrueBrit
09-30-13, 01:19 PM
It was quite fascinating to watch, but I am thrilled that the Brit, Sir Ben Ainslie, was able to bring it home for the Yanks in the end...;):D

emjaya
09-30-13, 10:48 PM
Good, bloody Kiwi's always winning everything all the time. 'bout time they lost something. :mad: :gomer:

Kiwifan
10-01-13, 01:19 PM
Wot, don't like ruggers any more? :D

Saw a 30 minute interview with Dean last night, he is shattered mentally for sure. He said 3 years of planning had TNZ peaking for the finals but Oracle just had deeper pockets and were able to adapt with the changes bought/made. Having Ben on Oracle might have helped too. :)