PDA

View Full Version : Winter tire change-over

nrc
09-22-13, 02:29 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 mounted on 16" wheels in hopes that I can keep the Miata on the road this winter. The snows won't go on until November, but they've got a rebate right now and I don't want to wait and have them out of stock.

Does anyone do their own winter wheel/tire change-over? Hauling the mounted tires in to get them put on would be a bigger pain than just doing it myself but I'm wondering if shops still routinely over-torque wheels. Constant battles getting over-torqued wheels off is one of my less fond memories of the days when I used to work on my car.

Ruok
09-23-13, 12:42 PM
I will weigh in, but it will be zero help.

I own a Mini and routinely switch over. I will say the only thing that will stop me is a very heavy wet snow, maybe 5-6" in a short amount of time, on a steep hill. Other than that I have had no issues, I highly recommend Blizzaks or equal. I was amazed at the grip when I first used them.

I used to change them myself until I ran out of time a couple of years back. Five minutes to the nearest local tire shop, $20. I meant to check and re-torque, but you know how it goes. Maybe I should care but I figure worst case I will get a flat and I won't be able to fix it. I don't run run-flats as I hate the dynamics of them, so I carry a small compressor and can of run-flat anyway.

Like I said, zero help, but I love the Blizzak.

Elmo T
09-23-13, 02:09 PM
Co-worker has an A4 with the sporty low profile tires. He has a spare set of steer rims with winter tires - he mounts them himself each year.

dando
09-23-13, 02:13 PM
nrc, car advice from Elmo is questionable @ best. :gomer: :p

cameraman
09-23-13, 03:08 PM
I have two sets of four for the Subie. I usually do it myself although tossing the lot in the back of the Subie isn't an issue. I must say that I'm not much good at remembering the re-torquing...

Al Czervik
09-25-13, 10:43 AM
I've been doing the changeover myself for about 15 years. Get a good floor jack & torque wrench, you'll be fine. Tire shops are still hit and miss. I'm close enough to go to The Tire Rack, and they do it right - jacks on the jacking points of the car, wheel lugs / studs tightened w/ torque wrench, etc. Went to a Discount Tire once and almost had to drive away. I had to show 'em where the jack points were, and then they broke out the 'air wrench of warped disks'...

Elmo T
09-25-13, 10:50 AM
nrc, car advice from Elmo is questionable @ best. :gomer: :p

4 transmissions in one mini-van and I get a reputation. :rolleyes:

dando
09-25-13, 12:06 PM
4 transmissions in one mini-van and I get a reputation. :rolleyes:

:p

Don't forget the bouncing tire on the truck. And I recall a Subie issue as well. ;) :D