PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 2013

Pages : 1 [2]

dando
01-08-14, 09:17 AM
nrc and dando, what did you two think of "Youngstown Boys" (if you watched it)?

I thought it was well done. Lots of arrogance in the AD's office. I also think Jim Brown's impact was slightly understated. He basically through gasoline on the fire.

dando
01-08-14, 01:10 PM
Well apparently Red is not a fan.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10257706/booster-red-mccombs-bashes-texas-longhorns-charlie-strong-hire

dando
01-15-14, 10:23 AM
Boss, Youngstown Boys has numerous repeats scheduled...1pm 17-Jan, 12am 18-Jan, 4am 20-Jan, etc. You should hit the record button for one of these.

nrc
01-15-14, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I had it scheduled and it never showed up. They must have moved the one that I scheduled. Rescheduled.

WickerBill
01-16-14, 07:19 AM
As if I didn't want Texas to start winning constantly to rub the Charlie Strong hire right into Red McCombs face *before*....

Strong and his coaches met with the team and outlined their expectations. He followed that with individual meetings with key players and 2014 seniors. The meeting was "very intense", but there was no yelling or drill sergeant act. No theater. Just a detailing of how things are going to be from now on. No one was thanked for being there. No one was patted on the back for being at Texas.

Strong expectations:

- Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.
- No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.
- If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.
- No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.
- Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.
- The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.
- There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.
- Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.
- The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.

Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.
"I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

nrc
01-16-14, 01:55 PM
I approve of this message. :thumbup:

Tifosi24
01-16-14, 03:14 PM
I agree. Those expectation would win the "Seal of Approval" from the evening drive time radio host I listen to in the Twin Cities.

nrc
01-18-14, 02:49 AM
I thought it was well done. Lots of arrogance in the AD's office. I also think Jim Brown's impact was slightly understated. He basically through gasoline on the fire.

Finally got to watch this tonight. I agree, it was pretty well done. I was expecting a big bucket of ESPN/tOSU hateraide but overall I thought it was fair. Of course they gave themselves a bit of a pass for their role in stirring the pot. They basically baited Clarett into saying things that they knew would generate controversy and then presented it to maximize that impact. I forgot how much I disliked Andy Geiger.

As I've said before, I think Tressel's ultimate downfall was in thinking that protecting his players and keeping them in his system was better for them than whatever would happen through an NCAA process. The Clarett experience probably colored that. Unfortunately the NCAA doesn't really care if its process destroys a life or career, it's about preserving the college athletics money machine.

dando
01-18-14, 08:58 AM
Finally got to watch this tonight. I agree, it was pretty well done. I was expecting a big bucket of ESPN/tOSU hateraide but overall I thought it was fair. Of course they gave themselves a bit of a pass for their role in stirring the pot. They basically baited Clarett into saying things that they knew would generate controversy and then presented it to maximize that impact. I forgot how much I disliked Andy Geiger.

As I've said before, I think Tressel's ultimate downfall was in thinking that protecting his players and keeping them in his system was better for them than whatever would happen through an NCAA process. The Clarett experience probably colored that. Unfortunately the NCAA doesn't really care if its process destroys a life or career, it's about preserving the college athletics money machine.

Tress was blind defending his 'children'. I'd like to thnk it wasn't a means to an end, but these days me thinks there was more there behind the scenes. I initially liked Geiger while Andyland was being built. The warm fuzzies wore off over time. Of course E$PN gave themselves a pass. Guys like The Turd exist to poke tOSU Nation to get a reaction/ratings. I limit myself to 30 minutes of him these days. Shock jock of sports radio. Mike & Mike are harmless, but mind numbing @ times. They make NASCAB mention junkies look good. :saywhat:

Gnam
02-10-14, 10:05 PM
A Cal player died on Friday during a team work out. :(

The coroner won't have a cause of death for several weeks, but Agu collapsed during a team run around the stadium and became non responsive.

UC Berkeley says that Ted Agu, a junior defensive lineman who attended Frontier High School in Bakersfield and first earned a spot on the Golden Bears as a walk-on (non-scholarship) player, died Friday morning. Agu was 21 years old.

A public health major at Cal, Agu earned Pac-12 All-Academic second-team honors after compiling a 3.28 grade-point average last fall.

Dr. Casey Batten, a team physician, told a press conference in Berkeley that medical staff were monitoring the workout and noticed that Agu appeared to be having difficulty completing it. As a precaution, staff members stopped Agu’s workout. “He was hydrating, he was responsive, he was talking,” Batten said.

As a further precaution, he was placed on a cart and moved to a medical facility about 150 yards away. Agu collapsed there. Batten said medical staff immediately started what he called “high-quality CPR” and use of an external defibrillator. Agu was then rushed to Alta Bates Hospital in Berkeley, where he died.

http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2014/02/07/cal-football-player-dies-during-drill/

http://s7.postimg.org/hx3vtt60r/tedagu_640x362.jpg