PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a brace

WickerBill
09-09-13, 09:27 PM
Knee brace, not a brace of coneys.

Foam, velcro, and foam-wrapped metal hinged side supports. The boy has a grade 2 MCL sprain and is just getting back to football. The brace smells like a corpse and he hasn't even done a full practice yet.

Off Camber, where you go for any advice at all.

cameraman
09-09-13, 10:08 PM
Usually you can remove the hinges and then wash the rest of it. Hand washing, warm water and something like dishwashing detergent. Bleach can degrade some of the fancier soft/stretchy bits so you might want to avoid it if at all possible. The more expensive the brace the more likely that it will wash effectively, usually not always:saywhat:

Gnam
09-10-13, 12:24 AM
Febreze.

G.
09-10-13, 12:47 AM
Freeze it? People say it works well for shoes. Never tried it.

Andrew Longman
09-10-13, 01:32 AM
From my experience, how exactly is this a problem? It smells worse that which article of equipment and if so, so what? It is football.

WickerBill
09-10-13, 06:22 AM
From my experience, how exactly is this a problem? It smells worse that which article of equipment and if so, so what? It is football.

Ha, I was hoping you'd reply. When his practice clothes smell, we wash them. Also, he is supposed to be wearing the brace in gym class and in other situations, and I'd rather not buy him three or four braces, one for each scenario.

Andrew Longman
09-10-13, 10:47 AM
I would think warm water and woolite or some gentle soap and hand washing would be fine. And air dry. And make it his job not yours.

My daughter would suggest Fabreeze. She puts it on everything including her lacrosse gear.

One thing to watch out for with braces is they do wear out. Keep an eye on whether it is still giving the stability is is suppossed to. Washing and sweat and use degrade it.

Don Quixote
09-10-13, 10:55 AM
We used fabreeze for the kids' hockey equipment. Spray liberally. Nothing smells as bad as hockey pads zipped up in an equipment bag. It is the only thing that works, and all the hockey parents used it.

Insomniac
09-12-13, 06:29 PM

They make Febreze Sport specifically now.

dando
09-12-13, 07:23 PM
We used fabreeze for the kids' hockey equipment. Spray liberally. Nothing smells as bad as hockey pads zipped up in an equipment bag. It is the only thing that works, and all the hockey parents used it.

Well, nothing smells worse than an Avs fan. Period. Especially those that worship Foote. :gomer:

RaceGrrl
09-12-13, 07:24 PM
My friend swears by her spray bottle of vodka to remove odor from her bellydance costumes. I just think she doesn't smell the odor after helping herself to the spray bottle. :laugh:

G.
09-12-13, 10:53 PM

They make Febreze Sport specifically now.

Mine wasn't a typo.

People swear that you will freshen up smelly sneakers by putting them in the freezer overnight.

I don't have any room to try it, though. Too many chicken nuggets in there. ;)

Insomniac
09-14-13, 05:12 PM
Mine wasn't a typo.

People swear that you will freshen up smelly sneakers by putting them in the freezer overnight.

I don't have any room to try it, though. Too many chicken nuggets in there. ;)

Haha, mine was a reading comprehension issue!