PDA

View Full Version : Torn Meniscus/Surgery

RaceGrrl
09-05-13, 08:37 PM
I am supposed to have surgery for a torn meniscus later this month and am wondering if anyone else has had something similar. I've done a lot of reading about recovery/rehab time but would appreciate hearing about your experience with it if you've had arthroscopic surgery/cartilage repair. It's killing me to stay out of the dance studio while I wait for the surgery but I don't want to push it and not be able to go back to dance at all. Probably should be more worried about walking normally, but dance is my real motivation. That, and wearing my high heels. :D

Andrew Longman
09-05-13, 09:08 PM
After 26 years of playing football I finally go my right knee dinged (playing TE instead of C because my team asked me to. Third play of the first game of the season when my own T rolled up on my leg. Played the rest of that game and three more before I finally saw a doctor who told me I tore my meniscus) I did about 3 months of weight training at a doctors suggestion prior to the surgery in the hope that surgery wouldn't be necessary but the doctor said it would also speed my recovery to have better tone in my leg.

The arthoscopic surgery went OK. It was done on an out patient basis. But the surgeon wound up dealing with a blood vessel he needed to get out of my joint which led to a lot of bleeding during the surgery and swelling afterwards. On the second night following the surgery I was in more pain than I think I ever been in. I was crying like a baby and nearly puked. The lesson from that was to move my knee as much as I could stand. If I had started that earlier I think I would have been in a much better way. I was on crutches for only a few days and played football three more years after that with no issues.

That was about 15 years ago and for the most part my knee is just fine. It is a little cranky from time to time and I am told that in time I may miss not having the cartiledge he removed, but it was completely intolerable prior to the surgery. I had repeated shots of pain like a hot knife stuck in my joint. So no regrets.

Good luck. I think you will likely be glad you did it and have a speedy recovery.

Now about the wreckage that are my shoulders and the concussions I had, that is a different matter.

PS I was given a cryocuff which put compression and icewater on my knee. That was way cool and I highly recommend it.

RaceGrrl
09-05-13, 11:23 PM
Compression and ice has definitely helped. My legs are in pretty decent shape from dance so I think I'm ahead in that way at least. The doc is on vacation this week but as soon as he's back in I'm going to ask what I should be doing to pre-hab so my recovery will hopefully be quicker. It's good to know that you were able to go back to playing although you were a lot younger when you had surgery than I am now.

datachicane
09-06-13, 12:42 AM
A few years back I hyper-extended both of my knees on the ice while playing with my toddler daughter. MRI showed both had torn menisci. My left knee deteriorated over the course of the next few years until I couldn't walk more than a few steps without it locking up. It was painful enough that I couldn't sleep (until my physician prescribed some most excellent drugs).

I was finally scheduled for surgery, and I couldn't wait to be done with it. Get this- the morning of my surgery I get up and, for the first time in several years, it feels great. A bit stiff, but no pain, nothing. My surgeon suggested we postpone and see how things work out. That was five years ago. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
09-06-13, 01:00 AM
I have very similar stories about scheduled but postponed shoulder surgeries. When I can't lift my arm to shift gears then maybe I will actually do it. I've had periods of left handed shifting from time to time and for now Aleve and some miraculous recoveries have ruled.

RaceGrrl
09-06-13, 02:22 PM
A few years back I hyper-extended both of my knees on the ice while playing with my toddler daughter. MRI showed both had torn menisci. My left knee deteriorated over the course of the next few years until I couldn't walk more than a few steps without it locking up. It was painful enough that I couldn't sleep (until my physician prescribed some most excellent drugs).

I was finally scheduled for surgery, and I couldn't wait to be done with it. Get this- the morning of my surgery I get up and, for the first time in several years, it feels great. A bit stiff, but no pain, nothing. My surgeon suggested we postpone and see how things work out. That was five years ago. :thumbup:

Glad you haven't had ongoing issues with it. I think I had a fairly minor tear but aggravated it over the following few weeks. It's been better since I've been babying it but I hate that. Watched some video of the procedure- doesn't look as gruesome as I'd envisioned.

dando
09-06-13, 04:38 PM
I can't speak to this personally since I am essentially phobic about docs and hospitals (and I did pre-med @ tOSU). :gomer: However, I have relatives that have had numerous knee, hip, you name it surgeries. Arthroscopic surgery like this is essentially nothing. Note that MC13 had the same surgery during the 2002 season and was playing two weeks later. My uncle played football for Thomas Worthington, Saint X and Ball State in the 70s. He had train tracks on his knees from the surgery they did back then, and they have since been replaced twice. Not fun.

Gnam
09-06-13, 05:23 PM
My knee used to hurt, but only when I bent it. The pain stopped one day, proving that ignoring a problem will eventually solve it. I am currently applying this technique to a pain in my neck. ;) Feel better.

PS: Torn Meniscus would be a good name for a heavy metal band or an emo goth band.

KaBoom21
09-06-13, 08:26 PM
Tore the medial meniscus, ACL and MCL 18 years ago while skiing at Breckenridge. "The Unhappy Triad" as my ortho surgeon described it is fairly common as far as ACL reconstructions go. The meniscus was the least of my concerns at the time, rehabbed intensely post-surgery and never had a problem with it since.

RaceGrrl
09-25-13, 02:23 PM
Surgery went well yesterday... except for when the power failed at the facility. I was all hooked up to the monitors and just waiting to go back to the OR when the lights went out. Not reassuring... It delayed their schedule by about an hour, but I was really happy that there was no nausea after general anesthesia and that I am walking fairly well on it today. Not feeling the internal joint pain now and just feel ouchy from the incisions. I'm doing what the doc says, (RICE) and according to him, I shouldn't need physical therapy. Now to just get back to normal so I can get back to the dance studio and wearing heels again. :D

TravelGal
09-25-13, 02:53 PM
Super news. Now keeping doing what the doctor says. That probably means about half of what you want to do. Easier to heal the first time than doing too much and trying to heal from that.

dando
09-25-13, 05:19 PM
Surgery went well yesterday... except for when the power failed at the facility. I was all hooked up to the monitors and just waiting to go back to the OR when the lights went out. Not reassuring... It delayed their schedule by about an hour, but I was really happy that there was no nausea after general anesthesia and that I am walking fairly well on it today. Not feeling the internal joint pain now and just feel ouchy from the incisions. I'm doing what the doc says, (RICE) and according to him, I shouldn't need physical therapy. Now to just get back to normal so I can get back to the dance studio and wearing heels again. :D

Meh. Switch to army boots. :gomer: Good news on the surgery. :thumbup: :cool:

Andrew Longman
09-25-13, 05:57 PM
:D:thumbup:

My experience says to not be timid about getting the joint working. In my case though as I said I had a lot of bleeding which really swelled things up which made getting things moving really important but also really painful.

RaceGrrl
09-25-13, 08:33 PM
I haven't been timid- it's actually been much easier than I thought. I'm really happy with the result- and TG, there is no way I'm giving up my high heels. Until I'm completely old and busted, that is. :D You're right about pushing too much. Richard is making sure I'm not overdoing it.

Anteater
09-25-13, 08:44 PM
Glad to read that the operation went well and you're feeling better! :):thumbup: Now, stay out of trouble (this is from someone who broke a bone in her foot and couldn't dance for over 6 months).

RaceGrrl
09-25-13, 08:59 PM
Anteater, I danced on a fractured foot for weeks before it was visible on Xray, and the day I had the doctor's appointment was the same weekend we had a big show. You know I performed on it broken... Hey once the performance adrenaline is going you don't feel the pain anyway. ;)

Gnam
09-26-13, 01:53 AM
Sure it looks like fun, but what you can't see is nrc struggling with those winter tires just off camera.
;)

gDiqV0rTsoI

Insomniac
09-26-13, 12:30 PM
:thumbup: Glad to hear it went well.

RaceGrrl
09-26-13, 07:44 PM
Gnam, thanks for freaking me out. That is one creepy video. Reminds me of that old Herbie Hancock video...

Gnam
09-26-13, 08:15 PM
:laugh:

That Herbie Hancock video...:eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhD4PD75zY

RaceGrrl
09-26-13, 11:11 PM
Yeah, ummm, I'm not gonna click on that link. The one you linked is creepy enough! :laugh:

nrc
09-27-13, 12:02 AM
We can make it easy by embedding it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhD4PD75zY

Gnam
09-27-13, 01:07 AM
I was afraid to embed it. nightmare city. :p

RaceGrrl
09-27-13, 07:21 PM
Oh, that's just cruel. No matter. I have to click on it for full creep-out and I'm not gonna do that!!

Gnam
09-27-13, 08:31 PM
palate cleanser :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRDE8SSJI0o