PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2013

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Insomniac
01-19-14, 11:24 PM
Eli has said it on almost every play for years. It simply resets the snap count so he can continue to call audibles. All quarterback us some code and for whatever reason "Omaho" has been the code for many for years. I remember Kurt Warner used it in St Louis.

Yup, nothing new, but somehow it was all the rage after the Chargers kept jumping. The field mics pick up a few qbs saying it all the time. Omaha should really thank the Chargers and the media. Manning has used it before. I think it usually means on one. Sometimes football code names aren't all that clever. Sam = Strong, Will = Weak, Mike = Middle, Rita = Right, etc.

Insomniac
01-19-14, 11:26 PM
Seahawks vs. Broncos. 2 #1s, it's gonna be a good one. <sadpatsfan>Watch out for the pick plays PED defense.</sadpatsfan>

cameraman
01-20-14, 01:09 AM
It is rather stupid that only certain plays can be reviewed. Either you can review them or not. That knee breaking fumble recovery should have been able to be reviewed. That S.F. held not withstanding.

Gnam
01-20-14, 02:15 AM
Three years running the 49ers prove that the only team that can defeat them is the 49ers. ****. :(

I hope Manning burns that Seattle secondary to the ground. Go Broncos.

nrc
01-20-14, 04:37 AM
The NFL dodged a bullet on that non-reviewable fumble recovery. If the Seahawks hadn't fumbled it back and rendered it moot I think the Internet would have broken.

dando
01-20-14, 07:09 AM
Omaha.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10319465/2013-nfl-playoffs-peyton-manning-raises-24800-charity-31-omaha-calls-new-england-patriots

:gomer:

Andrew Longman
01-20-14, 11:57 AM
I think it usually means on one.From Pop Warner on the cadence is usually a) mumbo jumbo if anything, b) a color or code word that indicates an audible -- Like "blue, red or alert" which if "hot" means the next thing I say is the new play -- it might be just another word -- like yellow, aunt Ethel or purple, which indicated the play is not changing, c) a number or other code word which indicates the play -- e.g., "35" means the 3 back runs through the 5 hole, and d) the snap signal - "hut", if on one or "hut - hut" if on two. That's set in the huddle or in a no huddle the default they set before the game.

If the qb says "Omaha" (or whatever the play change word is) before the snap signal, it means he may be changing the play (again) and the next sound will be a new play or if he is not changing the play, the next sound will be the snap signal - hut or hut, hut hut.

Omaha is often used because from the first sound (i.e., letter) it doesn't sound like much else -- especially "hut or red or alert".

It really isn't that complicated. Not more than baseball signs anyway. ;)

nrc
01-31-14, 03:30 PM
Suspicious powder mailed to hotel rooms near the Super Bowl. Were any of them addressed to Stanley Wilson?

Napoleon
01-31-14, 04:04 PM

WickerBill
02-02-14, 11:32 PM
Said all year Peyton has to be perfect for this team to win. Most weeks he was. He wasn't today and they didn't. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll be able to say "fun season" but right now, I pretty much hate sports for what they do to me.

SteveH
02-03-14, 12:08 AM
Even if he was perfect, I don't think it would have changed the outcome.

Gnam
02-03-14, 01:59 AM
Peyton Manning is a heart breaker. :cry:

Tifosi24
02-03-14, 07:44 AM
I watched the first half, and then daddy duties and more exciting television occupied my time during the second half. Seahawks dominated the game, hats off to them, but from a general fan standpoint, I could have cared less that it was in New York or the match up, this was probably the least exciting Super Bowl in years. Given that it was the Broncos, it felt like early grade school watching Elway's Broncos get murdered by Joe Montana and the 49ers.

WickerBill
02-03-14, 07:54 AM
Given that it was the Broncos, it felt like early grade school watching Elway's Broncos get murdered by Joe Montana and the 49ers.

Yeah, it isn't like this is my first time witnessing my Broncos get slaughtered in the Super Bowl. I've now watched them lose badly five times, win one close one they weren't supposed to, and win one going away they were supposed to.

Don Quixote
02-03-14, 12:00 PM
WB, I wish you could be here to listen to the local sports talk on the radio. Golden.

WickerBill
02-03-14, 12:57 PM
WB, I wish you could be here to listen to the local sports talk on the radio. Golden.

Hater.

There's no listening to sports radio, or even reading sports websites, for me today. I'm far more devastated than someone should be about sports.

nrc
02-03-14, 01:06 PM
Did someone let the Broncos know that it wasn't a walk through? Peyton Manning aside, the whole team lacked intensity.

It seemed as though they felt like they could just show up and Manning would win the game for them. Manning certainly seemed to feel that pressure from early on. Hopefully Andy Dalton was watching because it was a lesson in how even a great QB can make bad decisions under duress and the impact that has on a game.

Napoleon
02-03-14, 02:23 PM
The only way that game could have been better is if Elway was the losing QB.

Don Quixote
02-03-14, 02:34 PM
The only way that game could have been better is if Elway was the losing QB.Mr. Ed was there both in person and in spirit.

TravelGal
02-03-14, 02:46 PM
Did someone let the Broncos know that it wasn't a walk through? Peyton Manning aside, the whole team lacked intensity.

It seemed as though they felt like they could just show up and Manning would win the game for them. Manning certainly seemed to feel that pressure from early on. Hopefully Andy Dalton was watching because it was a lesson in how even a great QB can make bad decisions under duress and the impact that has on a game.

Completely agree. We didn't have a dog in the fight except that some favorite relatives live in Denver so we were hoping for the Broncos. Too bad they didn't show up. Reminded me of the Giants in 2000. The uniforms were there but the team that had played all season was elsewhere.

Don Quixote
02-03-14, 04:06 PM
Checkout what this guy said about the Seahawks draft in 2012.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1165320-2012-nfl-draft-grades-power-ranking-teams-that-failed-on-draft-day

No. 1: Seattle Seahawks

After one of the worst picks in the first round I can ever remember, the Seattle Seahawks didn't draft any positions of need or draft for the future.

Pete Carroll is proving why he didn’t make it in the NFL the first time. Not only was Bruce Irvin a reach at No. 15, the Seahawks proved they were oblivious to their madness by celebrating their selection.

As if the day wasn’t bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesn’t fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day.

Grade: F

Insomniac
02-03-14, 04:15 PM
I feel for you WB, and sympathize.

Don Quixote
02-03-14, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I think I will throw about as much sympathy WB's way as he sent to me after the drive and the fumble. :D

Gnam
02-03-14, 05:39 PM
Definitely messed up, but also accurate.

http://s24.postimg.org/vyhfbvz0l/Broncos_New_Logo_500x314.jpg

Napoleon
02-03-14, 05:47 PM
^^^^

Hilarious!

Don Quixote
02-03-14, 06:00 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VmdN1t1.gif

Napoleon
02-03-14, 06:12 PM
God I love the internet!

:rofl:

WickerBill
02-04-14, 06:38 AM
So, I want to get this straight in my mind.

Don, Napoleon, your team was owned by someone who moved your team away from you and that team has now won two Super Bowls since -- with Browns legend Ozzie Newsome as GM. You spent long seasons without football entirely, and you're now owned by a Steelers fan and crook.

But you hate an entire franchise because you lost two games to them nearly thirty years ago?

Damn.

chop456
02-04-14, 07:14 AM
:laugh:

nrc
02-04-14, 08:25 AM
This is why you never corner a wounded animal. :eek: :D

Don Quixote
02-04-14, 10:16 AM
Hate is such a strong word. But OK, let's go with hate.

Napoleon
02-04-14, 03:41 PM
Don, Napoleon, your team was owned by someone . . .

Just for the record, I didn't grow up in Cleveland and in high school adopted the Seahawks as my favorite team, and still have the pull over cap I bought back in the late 70s in their colors (at the time) and logo.

But otherwise I will root for the Browns since I live hear now and you are otherwise right. And as to Hate, yeah, I'll go with hate as well.

cameraman
02-04-14, 06:25 PM
Never lived in Ohio or Colorado but I'll add another vote to the hate the Broncos club. Especially if I am picking the useless sacks to win even though I don't like them at all:irked:

Which isn't to say that I don't hate Dallas more, vastly more.

Don Quixote
02-04-14, 06:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfhAI3nIIAAWJu0.jpg