PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2013

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Don Quixote
10-11-13, 08:28 AM
Did I read that right? 15 picks????? :laugh:

Insomniac
10-11-13, 09:55 AM
That's the Belichick way. We have Edelman, Welker is getting an ego, and DannyA is better anyway. He has used it very successfully in the past -- not being in love with his vets -- but a lot of circumstances jumped up and bit him this time.

Pats didn't have Edelman. At the end of the season their WRs were Welker, Branch, Lloyd and Edelman. Welker, Branch and Edelman were free agents. They cut Lloyd a few days into free agency (so they had a plan to cut him). Amendola and Welker would've been reasonable.

From what I can gather, Welker's agent screwed up badly. They wanted a much bigger contract than he got in Denver and didn't properly gauge the market which New England was offering. Once the legal tampering window ended and free agency opened, NE pulled the offer. They then decided to spite themselves by not matching Denver (which was in line with what they had countered with before). The organization's ego did get in the way, but his agent brought it to that point.

They wouldn't be so bad now with Hernandez and Gronk, but they'd still have an inept WR group. NE has a long list of failed WR draft picks vs those who worked out. I don't think this is 20/20, they made a mistake.

dando
10-12-13, 02:35 PM
It appears the Bucs have been visiting the Cleveland Clinic or hired the Clowns former training/medical staph (sic).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9808469/third-tampa-bay-buccaneers-player-tests-positive-mrsa-staph-infection

:eek: :saywhat:

dando
10-13-13, 04:27 PM
Nuuuuuuge! :D

dando
10-13-13, 04:37 PM
So I missed the pre-game gossip today. Was this reunion weekend on CBS? Cowher coverign the Stealers, Bummer and Solly covering the Bungling Bungles?

TKGAngel
10-13-13, 05:26 PM
At some point, Boomer will shut up about the missed Bills 4th & 1.

On the positive side, not a bad effort from Lewis. On the negative side, he was spotted in a walking boot after the game.

dando
10-13-13, 11:51 PM
At some point, Boomer will shut up about the missed Bills 4th & 1.

On the positive side, not a bad effort from Lewis. On the negative side, he was spotted in a walking boot after the game.

Jim Kelly is available. ;)

dando
10-14-13, 08:07 AM
Credit due to the Pats for a great W. I was ready to post that Brady is done. Not so fast... ;)

dando
10-14-13, 08:17 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9821166/arrowhead-stadium-home-kansas-city-chiefs-breaks-world-record-noise-level

The Kansas City Chiefs fans broke the world record for an outdoor sports stadium in their 24-7 win over Oakland on Sunday when they reached 137.5 decibels in the closing minutes.

An official from Guinness World Records told The Associated Press that Chiefs fans broke the record of 136.6 set by Seahawks fans during a game against San Francisco earlier this year.

Chiefs fans reached 137.5 decibels Sunday against the Raiders, breaking the world record of 136.6 decibels set by Seahawks fans during a game against San Francisco earlier this year.
To put that in perspective, a jet engine at 100 feet is about 140 decibels.

:eek:

Jeebus. I knew Inso was a loudmouth, but that's just nuts. :gomer: :D

Insomniac
10-14-13, 10:11 AM
Credit due to the Pats for a great W. I was ready to post that Brady is done. Not so fast... ;)

There's some magic left... Combine that with the Red Sox win, something was in the air.

Also, that win totally bailed out Belicheck going for it on 4th down from their own 25 with plenty of time left and himself for throwing a pick after getting the ball back.

Of course, things work out like this. The Patriots could've used a defense any time over the last 4-5 years and they have one finally with a dysfunctional offense after having one of the best for the last 6 years.

Gnam
10-14-13, 12:38 PM
I can't prove it, but I think the NFL or Fox told both the 49ers and Cardinals to start running the ball after halftime. ;)

There were (8) punts in the first half, most after just three plays with lots of incomplete passes. This slowed down the pace so much that it put the game a full quarter behind the other games. In the second half, both teams started running the ball, which kept the clock going. The increased pace allowed the game to finish about two minutes before the Tigers-Red Sox game started. [/conspiracy]

Andrew Longman
10-14-13, 03:31 PM
Also, that win totally bailed out Belicheck going for it on 4th down from their own 25 with plenty of time left and himself for throwing a pick after getting the ball back.So did Payton (or maybe it was Brees) for choosing to throw the ball (incomplete) 30 yards into the endzone on third down just prior to kicking their last field goal. If they had run the ball they could have run about another 45 seconds off the clock or forced the Pats to use a timeout. Or they might have gotten the first down. Any of these outcomes would have meant a win for the Saints and he chose the least likely to succeed.

Clock management seems to be a lost art. And somethings aren't even art but common sense and simple math. I saw it later watching Shanahan totally screw up at the end of the first half against the 'Boys.

Insomniac
10-14-13, 03:52 PM
So did Payton (or maybe it was Brees) for choosing to throw the ball (incomplete) 30 yards into the endzone on third down just prior to kicking their last field goal. If they had run the ball they could have run about another 45 seconds off the clock or forced the Pats to use a timeout. Or they might have gotten the first down. Any of these outcomes would have meant a win for the Saints and he chose the least likely to succeed.

Clock management seems to be a lost art. And somethings aren't even art but common sense and simple math. I saw it later watching Shanahan totally screw up at the end of the first half against the 'Boys.

They were trying to get a first down by passing since the Pats were in there to stop the run. Payton is aggressive.

nrc
10-14-13, 04:06 PM
So I missed the pre-game gossip today. Was this reunion weekend on CBS? Cowher coverign the Stealers, Bummer and Solly covering the Bungling Bungles?

Yes, they had a special old home week. I think there was one other announcer that participated. I enjoyed Boomer and Wilcotts. Sounds like TKGAngel didn't appreciate it quite as much. :)

One good thing about the Bengals win is that I can complain about Ed "Hercalees" and his crew. Fortunately the bad calls and non-calls pretty much evened out, but I don't understand how this crew regularly ends up in the play-offs.

Don Quixote
10-14-13, 04:26 PM
Yes, they had a special old home week. I think there was one other announcer that participated. I enjoyed Boomer and Wilcotts. Sounds like TKGAngel didn't appreciate it quite as much. :)

One good thing about the Bengals win is that I can complain about Ed "Hercalees" and his crew. Fortunately the bad calls and non-calls pretty much evened out, but I don't understand how this crew regularly ends up in the play-offs.Shannon Sharpe did the Bronco's game. With Fouts. :yuck:

dando
10-14-13, 05:39 PM
And oh, standings. :D

WickerBill
10-17-13, 07:02 AM
Why does Indianapolis attract the white powder billionaires? Jim Irsay is just as dumb as dad.

Don Quixote
10-17-13, 08:48 AM
Why does Indianapolis attract the white powder billionaires? Jim Irsay is just as dumb as dad.Wait, we agree on something football related???????

WickerBill
10-17-13, 09:40 AM
Probably more than that, but let's not find out. :)

Don Quixote
10-17-13, 10:33 AM
Agreed. It's better this way.

nrc
10-19-13, 03:37 PM
RIP Bum Phillips - one of the NFL's great characters.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000265413/article/bum-phillips-former-houston-oilers-coach-passes-away-at-9

chop456
10-20-13, 08:36 AM
RIP.

Pastorini, Campbell, Johnson, Burroughs. :sigh:

dando
10-20-13, 04:19 PM
Nuuuge == dude :thumbup:

Now to change undies yet again. ;)

dando
10-20-13, 11:41 PM
Apparently Don Q. is rejoicing about the hometown team coming back. :gomer: :D :p

WickerBill
10-21-13, 07:12 AM
I said it a couple of weeks ago but it bears repeating: Denver cannot win anything this year unless Peyton is perfect. The secondary is an absolute horror show and the running game is awful.

They will still likely only lose two more games in the regular season, but this team isn't built to win in January. They're going to have to beg Manning to alter his contract and get significant OL and DB help for 2014.

Depressing.

dando
10-21-13, 09:17 AM
Losing Champ (again) was not good. Overall, the NFL injury list grew exponentially yesterday. Cutler, Bradford, Leon Hall, Finley, Bailey, among others. :eek:

EDIT: Add Cushing to that list.

Insomniac
10-21-13, 10:06 AM
They will still likely only lose two more games in the regular season, but this team isn't built to win in January. They're going to have to beg Manning to alter his contract and get significant OL and DB help for 2014.

Isn't that what Irsay said last week? :D

Insomniac
10-21-13, 10:07 AM
Losing Champ (again) was not good. Overall, the NFL injury list grew exponentially yesterday. Cutler, Bradford, Leon Hall, Finley, Bailey, among others. :eek:

EDIT: Add Cushing to that list.

Had to get all the HGH in before it is tested for. (I know many of those injuries were caused by hits, but it seems the incidence of injury either without a hit or tearing tendons/muscles is more common.)

nrc
10-21-13, 11:47 AM
I was just glad to hear that it was not the same achilles that Hall blew out last time. Hopefully he can come back as well from this one as he did the last one.

dando
10-21-13, 12:07 PM
I was just glad to hear that it was not the same achilles that Hall blew out last time. Hopefully he can come back as well from this one as he did the last one.

Not a Hall fan (reference The Game when T.Smith torched him). They should have re-signed J. Jo. Period. Dre looks to be a bust. :saywhat: Who Deys just haven't had any luck with DBs since ET. :(

WickerBill
10-21-13, 01:32 PM
Add Reggie Wayne to the list.

nrc
10-21-13, 03:54 PM
Not a Hall fan (reference The Game when T.Smith torched him). They should have re-signed J. Jo. Period. Dre looks to be a bust. :saywhat: Who Deys just haven't had any luck with DBs since ET. :(

Bah. They offered Joseph a good deal and he took the same money plus all the Gatorade he could drink in Texas. There's no logical justification for liking Joseph but not Hall. Stats are a wash - Joseph had slightly better coverage but couldn't tackle a cheerleader.

I agree that Kirkpatrick is on bust watch. I don't think it's settled yet. He'll get his chance to sink or swim now.

Don Quixote
10-22-13, 08:36 AM
Jay Cutler sack photo gallery. Makes me hurt just to look at it.

ouch (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-jay-cutler-sacks-photo-gallery-20131021,0,7079166.photogallery)

chop456
10-22-13, 08:45 AM
^ Cutler wasn't the victim, but good to see Merriweather get 2 games for the hits on Marshall and Jeffery.

dando
10-22-13, 09:07 AM
Bah. They offered Joseph a good deal and he took the same money plus all the Gatorade he could drink in Texas. There's no logical justification for liking Joseph but not Hall. Stats are a wash - Joseph had slightly better coverage but couldn't tackle a cheerleader.

I agree that Kirkpatrick is on bust watch. I don't think it's settled yet. He'll get his chance to sink or swim now.

Dre == Titanic

Logical justification for J. Jo > Hall is simply injury. Hall is a good #2, but not a lock down #1 CB. As with a certain local college team, the DBs are a serious problem with the Who Deys.

dando
10-25-13, 07:27 AM
Clock ticks on Schiano.

Gnam
10-25-13, 03:25 PM
To fill time during the Carolina-Tampa game, the announcers reviewed each team's remaining schedule. In December, Carolina has to play New Orleans twice in two weeks. That's not fair. Games against a divisional opponent should be spaced months apart, preferably one at the beginning of the season and one toward the end. Teams change during the season, and a divisional opponent should have a chance to play each version.

dando
10-26-13, 06:00 AM
Youza.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9879129/game-st-louis-rams-carolina-panthers-draws-47250-fines-nfl

The St. Louis Rams and Carolina Panthers drew a total of $47,250 in fines from the NFL for their chippy game last Sunday.

dando
10-28-13, 09:20 AM
The Boss was sweating that one in PBS. :gomer:

Tpeezy (Donkey's fave) > Stealers. :D

Andy was obviously the issue in Philly. :gomer:

nrc
10-28-13, 11:50 AM
The Boss was sweating that one in PBS. :gomer:

It was great to see the Bengals finally put together a complete game. If they can start doing that regularly they might finally get that play-off win that's been eluding them.

The next challenge is a quick turn-around for a Thursday night away game against a quarterback that could threaten their depleted secondary if he gets hot. They just need to keep knocking them out. :thumbup:

stroker
10-28-13, 12:10 PM
not many Packer Backers here, but I have to say that I'm genuinely impressed by their ability to plug and play their second and even third string receivers. Is Rodgers simply THAT good? That slant to Nelson last night simply left me gobsmacked as to how he managed to catch it. If they can get Starks and Lacy working in tandem they may have their first rushing capability since John Brockington and McArthur Lane...

dando
10-28-13, 01:10 PM
It was great to see the Bengals finally put together a complete game. If they can start doing that regularly they might finally get that play-off win that's been eluding them.

The next challenge is a quick turn-around for a Thursday night away game against a quarterback that could threaten their depleted secondary if he gets hot. They just need to keep knocking them out. :thumbup:

4 of the next 6 on the road. :saywhat: Critical stretch.

dando
10-28-13, 01:13 PM
not many Packer Backers here, but I have to say that I'm genuinely impressed by their ability to plug and play their second and even third string receivers. Is Rodgers simply THAT good? That slant to Nelson last night simply left me gobsmacked as to how he managed to catch it. If they can get Starks and Lacy working in tandem they may have their first rushing capability since John Brockington and McArthur Lane...

My second favorite team...unless the Who Deys play them. :gomer: Partially because my mom lived in Madison, WI for several years. Me thinks Jenning regrets leave Packerville.

Andrew Longman
10-28-13, 05:33 PM
...I have to say that I'm genuinely impressed by their ability to plug and play their second and even third string receivers... That slant to Nelson last night simply left me gobsmacked as to how he managed to catch it...I think he is that good. And the team that well coached. I am also of the (biased) opinion that similarly Simms was, and Eli is for the same reasons. Simms never had anyone of note as a wideout and they never stayed for long and Eli has not had it much better but they succeeded most weeks year after year and won a few championships.

As for that pass, gobsmacked is right. IIRC it was third down as well, and the throw didn't come after a lot of check downs. I thought to myself, "THAT was your choice?" How did Gordy even know to look for it there? You can't practice that.

And yes Jenning is definitely rethinking his choice and grumbling about it in the locker room I hear.

stroker
10-28-13, 05:59 PM
If the answer is Christian Ponder then you're asking the wrong question, IMHO. Why they went for a first-tier receiver like Jennings instead recruiting for their next "Adrian Peterson" or additional O-line help is beyond me...

WickerBill
10-28-13, 07:37 PM
If the answer is Christian Ponder then you're asking the wrong question, IMHO. Why they went for a first-tier receiver like Jennings instead recruiting for their next "Adrian Peterson" or additional O-line help is beyond me...

Or Alex Smith...

chop456
10-29-13, 03:26 AM

Ahman Green?

They have good receivers because they draft and manage personnel well. That's why I plan to kidnap Ted Thompson and make him work for the Bears.

stroker
10-29-13, 11:55 AM
Ahman Green?

They have good receivers because they draft and manage personnel well. That's why I plan to kidnap Ted Thompson and make him work for the Bears.

Green was good, no question, but he dropped the ball a bunch. IIRC he wasn't all that consistent in yardage gained but in fairness, that was when Favre was QB....

dando
11-01-13, 11:32 AM
Nice game, Ginger. :saywhat: :shakehead:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331031015

Stats domination....including 3 picks and a fumble. :irked:

nrc
11-01-13, 12:38 PM
Nice game, Ginger. :saywhat: :shakehead:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331031015

Stats domination....including 3 picks and a fumble. :irked:

Wait, you forgot to blame him for the safety. Yeah, they didn't play well but it wasn't all on Dalton. The fumble was on the O-line and one or possibly two of the interceptions were on his receivers.

dando
11-01-13, 02:05 PM
Wait, you forgot to blame him for the safety. Yeah, they didn't play well but it wasn't all on Dalton. The fumble was on the O-line and one or possibly two of the interceptions were on his receivers.

One pick was on Sanu. The other two were on Ginger. Balls thrown inside that would have been receptions if they were thrown to the outside shoulder. The pick six wouldn't have happened has Gresh not been called for holding on the 50-yard TD completion. Not sure I agree with that call. The OL played average @ best, but credit to the Fish DL for playing well. No Whit hurt big time. Losing Atkins was huge, as was losing Bernard. The fumble is debatable. There were just a few plays when Ginger should have had better pocket presence. Easy for me to say from my couch. :gomer:

dando
11-01-13, 02:20 PM
Atkins done for the season. :(

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-seek-D-line-depth-Atkins-injury-confirmed/07852983-086d-4f05-8479-98df28a7cc75?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

That's a HUGE loss.

dando
11-03-13, 09:21 AM
John Fox to the IR. :(

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9920451/john-fox-denver-broncos-coach-undergo-heart-surgery

nrc
11-03-13, 03:32 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9920451/john-fox-denver-broncos-coach-undergo-heart-surgery

Aortic valve replacement means he may be out "a couple of weeks or up to two months"? Is Dr. Bones coming in to supervise his treatment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Or-Hx3yqc

WickerBill
11-03-13, 07:36 PM
Nick Foles > Peyton Manning

WickerBill
11-04-13, 07:55 AM

Gary Kubiak joins him. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/texans/2013/11/03/houston-texans-gary-kubiak-collapses-during-game-indianapolis-colts/3429381/)

chop456
11-04-13, 08:16 AM
Gary Kubiak joins him. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/texans/2013/11/03/houston-texans-gary-kubiak-collapses-during-game-indianapolis-colts/3429381/)

This wasn't the result of a hex placed on him years ago while wearing orange, was it? Maybe by someone living in Indiana? With the initials WB? :ninja:

dando
11-04-13, 11:38 AM

That was just surreal. As was the 4th quarter comeback.

Tifosi24
11-04-13, 01:39 PM
Aortic valve replacement means he may be out "a couple of weeks or up to two months"? Is Dr. Bones coming in to supervise his treatment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Or-Hx3yqc

I think the two week timeframe would be a bit quick, and I can't imagine he would be cleared to be on the sidelines if it required open heart surgery. My son was 14 months old when he had his surgery, and we had to lift him a certain way for four weeks to allow the bone to heal, so I don't think the doctors would be too happy about someone with a less than healed sternum being next to 200-300 lbs guys hurtling themselves at each other. That being said, the treatments and techniques they are using these days are nothing short of amazing. His time out of the game will be related solely to his body's healing ability.

dando
11-04-13, 02:21 PM
I think the two week timeframe would be a bit quick, and I can't imagine he would be cleared to be on the sidelines if it required open heart surgery. My son was 14 months old when he had his surgery, and we had to lift him a certain way for four weeks to allow the bone to heal, so I don't think the doctors would be too happy about someone with a less than healed sternum being next to 200-300 lbs guys hurtling themselves at each other. That being said, the treatments and techniques they are using these days are nothing short of amazing. His time out of the game will be related solely to his body's healing ability.

If it was just a cath, two weeks would be doable, but this is a valve change. 4-6 weeks @ best.

dando
11-05-13, 10:33 AM
Da Bears broke my FFL team last night. :irked:

TravelGal
11-05-13, 11:38 AM
I only saw bits and pieces but a couple of those McCown tosses made a believer out of me. \(At least for one game. ;) Talk about arm strength. :eek:

SteveH
11-05-13, 11:49 AM
I only saw bits and pieces but a couple of those McCown tosses made a believer out of me. \(At least for one game. ;) Talk about arm strength. :eek:

More importantly for a back up, he didn't make any stupid mistakes. Didn't try to force it. I was very pleased with his game. Just as I was with his second half performance two weeks ago at Washington.

Don Quixote
11-05-13, 12:17 PM
Cutler better get well soon, or his position might be filled.

dando
11-05-13, 12:38 PM
Cutler better get well soon, or his position might be filled.

In other news, the Clowns eyeing Cutler to replace the Weedster. :gomer: :p

dando
11-10-13, 08:18 AM
Stupid is as stupid does. I submit for you Jerome Simpson.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9950078/jerome-simpson-minnesota-vikings-arrested-dwi

:shakehead:

dando
11-10-13, 05:13 PM
I am officially off the Ginger Ninja bandwagon. :irked: Does Marvin understand how to call a timeout? :mad: The AFC North == stinking pile of dreck. :yuck:

EDIT: I recant. Hail yes! And now to go change undies....

nrc
11-10-13, 10:07 PM
I am officially off the Ginger Ninja bandwagon. :irked: Does Marvin understand how to call a timeout? :mad: The AFC North == stinking pile of dreck. :yuck:

EDIT: I recant. Hail yes! And now to go change undies....

I blame your recanting for the loss. Yeah, Dalton has to play better but it seems like the offensive line forgot to bring their big boy pants to this game.

Lewis challenged his guys to take control of the game early an it backfired.

dando
11-10-13, 11:28 PM
I blame your recanting for the loss. Yeah, Dalton has to play better but it seems like the offensive line forgot to bring their big boy pants to this game.

Lewis challenged his guys to take control of the game early an it backfired.

Second game in a row they dominated the stats...including penalties. :irked:

dando
11-13-13, 12:05 PM

Tifosi24
11-13-13, 01:14 PM
Sabres re-arrange the deck chairs. Ted Nolan?!? Srsly? :saywhat:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9970624/buffalo-sabres-fire-coach-ron-rolston-general-manager-darcy-regier

Meanwhile the CBJ sink to the bottom of the Metrosexual Division. :irked:

I think you have your sport league acronym threads confused.

dando
11-13-13, 01:20 PM
I think you have your sport league acronym threads confused.

No it's called multi-multi-multi tasking and fussing with a Chromecast that's barfing. :saywhat:

Gnam
11-13-13, 01:24 PM
Hay, do the Saints score a lot of points? 'Cause the high powered, unstoppable 49ers offense is on a field goal only diet at the moment. Touchdowns? We don't need no stinking touchdowns!

dando
11-13-13, 02:09 PM
Hay, do the Saints score a lot of points? 'Cause the high powered, unstoppable 49ers offense is on a field goal only diet at the moment. Touchdowns? We don't need no stinking touchdowns!

These are not the touchdowns you are looking for. :gomer:

dando
11-17-13, 05:34 PM
I heard there was a good football team in Cleveburgh....Glenville. :gomer:

Gnam
11-17-13, 10:30 PM
Niners handed the Saints a victory and the refs gift wrapped it for 'em. Son-of-a-gun. :(

Now I just hope we can beat the Rams.

dando
11-18-13, 05:56 PM
Apparently nrc has been booing too much.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9996832/michael-johnson-cincinnati-bengals-stands-fan-comments

:gomer:

nrc
11-18-13, 11:27 PM
Apparently nrc has been booing too much.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9996832/michael-johnson-cincinnati-bengals-stands-fan-comments

:gomer:

Nah, it was just stunned silence from me after the second pick and I thought booing after the punt on the following series stupid. A punt is a good series after two straight picks.

dando
11-19-13, 09:32 AM
Pats/Cats...I get that the ball is underthrown, but why was the flag picked up with no explanation as to why? Secondly, what pizzles me on these types of calls is that if it's not PI due to an uncatchable ball, it's still either illegal contact (beyond 5 yards) or holding (in this case). The explanation that the interception happened @ the same time is complete and total BS. I hate to defend the Pats (being a hater :gomer:), but this stunk. :thumbdown:

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9998990/new-england-patriots-seek-explanation-game-ending-play

nrc
11-19-13, 10:39 AM
I see the reasoning - If you look at the timing he's not really being held until the ball is practically in the hands of the defender. It probably should have been holding but it was close. Part of the problem is that they don't often pick up PI flags for uncatchable balls. Sometimes a defender's actions prevent the receiver from getting into position to make a catch, but you often see PI calls on balls that are too far out of bounds to be catchable.

dando
11-19-13, 11:57 AM
I see the reasoning - If you look at the timing he's not really being held until the ball is practically in the hands of the defender. It probably should have been holding but it was close. Part of the problem is that they don't often pick up PI flags for uncatchable balls. Sometimes a defender's actions prevent the receiver from getting into position to make a catch, but you often see PI calls on balls that are too far out of bounds to be catchable.

OK, but if it's not holding or PI, it's illegal contact beyond 5 yards. :confused:

TKGAngel
11-19-13, 01:33 PM
This is why we can't have nice things: guy falls from upper deck at Ralph Wilson Stadium ON NATIONAL TELEVISION* (http://deadspin.com/cbs-broadcast-shows-fan-falling-from-upper-deck-at-ralp-1466436450). Both the fall-er and the guy he fell on were released from the hospital Sunday night, but the fall-er may face assault charges.

*Links to Deadspin, if you're sensitive about that.

Insomniac
11-19-13, 01:39 PM
I am also unclear there. I see the uncatchable argument for PI. But holding and illegal contact are both called regardless of who the ball was being thrown to on the play.

Beyond that, the refs also called McCourty for defensive holding when Olsen was the one holding him and then flopped to the ground.

Bad call on Pats to play-action pass on 3rd and 1 after they were running for big yards and settling for a field goal. They are certainly taking the right tact that the game wasn't lost on that call, but I think they also should've had another shot to win it.

dando
11-19-13, 02:04 PM
I am also unclear there. I see the uncatchable argument for PI. But holding and illegal contact are both called regardless of who the ball was being thrown to on the play.

Beyond that, the refs also called McCourty for defensive holding when Olsen was the one holding him and then flopped to the ground.

Bad call on Pats to play-action pass on 3rd and 1 after they were running for big yards and settling for a field goal. They are certainly taking the right tact that the game wasn't lost on that call, but I think they also should've had another shot to win it.

Claiming the contact and INT occurred simultaneously is crap. Watch the replay/highlight. Contact clearly occurred BEFORE the INT. This is just a general bone I have to pick with these calls in general. Fine, the pass may be 'uncatchable', but if contact is made or a hold occurs, there should be a call for one or the other if PI does not apply. And no explanation from the refs? C'mon, man. :saywhat:

nrc
11-19-13, 02:50 PM
OK, but if it's not holding or PI, it's illegal contact beyond 5 yards. :confused:

Brady had left the pocket so illegal contact no longer applies. The ball had been thrown, so holding no longer applies. Pass interference was the only option at that point and it was nullified by the fact that the ball was uncatchable by Gronkowski.

This page breaks it down really well.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/11/19/5121100/rules-breaking-down-the-final-play

When you look at that, it all makes sense and is according to the rules, which is good. More importantly, I think it's fair because I really don't think Gronkowski would have been able to make a play on that ball even without the contact.

nrc
11-19-13, 03:15 PM
This is why we can't have nice things: guy falls from upper deck at Ralph Wilson Stadium ON NATIONAL TELEVISION* (http://deadspin.com/cbs-broadcast-shows-fan-falling-from-upper-deck-at-ralp-1466436450). Both the fall-er and the guy he fell on were released from the hospital Sunday night, but the fall-er may face assault charges.

*Links to Deadspin, if you're sensitive about that.

Ugh. The faller should have some consequences - he clearly put others at grave risk through is recklessness. Unfortunately the guy he landed on will probably end up suing the stadium since that's where the money is.

Insomniac
11-19-13, 08:19 PM
Brady had left the pocket so illegal contact no longer applies. The ball had been thrown, so holding no longer applies. Pass interference was the only option at that point and it was nullified by the fact that the ball was uncatchable by Gronkowski.

This page breaks it down really well.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/11/19/5121100/rules-breaking-down-the-final-play

When you look at that, it all makes sense and is according to the rules, which is good. More importantly, I think it's fair because I really don't think Gronkowski would have been able to make a play on that ball even without the contact.

When did he leave the pocket?

Also, the head of officiating decided to crap all over this whole argument.

"The issue isn't the contact [between Keuchly and Gronkowski], the issue is the restriction and does it occur prior to the ball being touched"

Screen cap shows that's clearly not the case.

dando
11-19-13, 09:03 PM

"The issue isn't the contact [between Keuchly and Gronkowski], the issue is the restriction and does it occur prior to the ball being touched"

He never left the pocket. Period. Watch the replay, nrc. Contact is contact regardless of the QB position. The explanation was that the interception occurred @ the same time. Clearly not the case. #fail

dando
11-19-13, 09:18 PM
Meh. Hellen Keller painting the Mona Lisa...

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/10002769/dean-blandino-nfl-vice-president-officiating-supports-refs-decision

And on a side note, healthcare.gov works just fine. These are not the droids you are looking for...

:saywhat:

nrc
11-19-13, 10:26 PM

The Pats site said that he left the pocket and based on the pic they posted of Brady outside the hash I assumed that they were correct. Watching the replay the ball was snapped from the hash and Brady was outside the has but still inside the tackle box when he threw it.

Insomniac
11-20-13, 09:53 AM
Last thing I'll add. I believe illegal contact and defensive holding go out the window when the ball is thrown, so that may be the case here. I don't have a replay showing the two things to be sure. I think the Refs blew it and picked up the flag because of the location of the game and that it was the last play. We've routinely seen that called by refs as PI. Brady was pressured on the pass so it appears he didn't get enough on it. Gronk could've sold it more if he tried to get back through Kuechly. If the call was kept, I think it would've been as controversial, only if the Pats scored on the untimed play from the 1. That's something to remember, the PI non-call didn't lose the game, it cost them one more chance to win.

SurfaceUnits
11-23-13, 11:33 PM
Only 7% of the proceeds from the NFL's sales of Pink gear actually gets sent to cancer research

TKGAngel
11-24-13, 02:25 PM
Only 7% of the proceeds from the NFL's sales of Pink gear actually gets sent to cancer research

I heard rumors of that last year, but here's the article from SI (http://tracking.si.com/2013/10/16/pink-nfl-merchandise-breast-cancer-research/) with the hard numbers. Pink washing is a fascinating, yet incredibly infuriating, topic to read about.

Meanwhile, today's laff is courtesy of CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24275196/jon-bon-jovi-interested-in-purchasing-the-buffalo-bills), who says that Jon Bon Jovi is a frontrunner to buy the Bills when Wilson passes.

nrc
12-04-13, 02:05 PM
Tomlin fined $100K for sideline interference. Losing a draft pick is still a possibility.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/steelers-coach-tomlin-fined-100-thousand-dollars-for-interfering-in-ravens-game-120413

It's kind of ironic that it happened against the Ravens because the Harbaughs are a couple of the worst offenders when it comes to coaches coming on the field. That was supposed to be a point of emphasis this year but I sure haven't seen it.

dando
12-04-13, 04:08 PM
Tomlin fined $100K for sideline interference. Losing a draft pick is still a possibility.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/steelers-coach-tomlin-fined-100-thousand-dollars-for-interfering-in-ravens-game-120413

It's kind of ironic that it happened against the Ravens because the Harbaughs are a couple of the worst offenders when it comes to coaches coming on the field. That was supposed to be a point of emphasis this year but I sure haven't seen it.

Beat me to it. I'm fine with the fine, a draft pick? Give me a break. They lost the game anyway. This type of BS makes me think of when the Bengals were fined years ago for 'droopy socks' in hot & humid Miami. Goodell needs to go away. I'm beginning to think they need to play games, record them, review them and then release them for public consumption a week later. :saywhat: :shakehead: :irked:

Gnam
12-04-13, 04:19 PM
I'd like to believe it wasn't intentional interference, but it's weird that he had his back to the play and was all alone. Usually, head coaches are foucsed on the game and surrounded by people.

I think the draft pick threat is a sort of probation to prevent any future sideline interference. If the Steelers behave, they won't lose it.

Andrew Longman
12-04-13, 06:06 PM
He was watching the jumbotron and apparently the NFL looked at prior games and he routinely does that on kicking plays. Regardless I think his extensive apology and acceptance of blame was exemplary. Totally classy and there is nothing else he could do. Except maybe pay the fine. :) draft pick is too much though. And in no way am I a Steelers fan but I do respect the Rooney family and organization a lot.

Insomniac
12-05-13, 01:58 PM
Beat me to it. I'm fine with the fine, a draft pick? Give me a break. They lost the game anyway. This type of BS makes me think of when the Bengals were fined years ago for 'droopy socks' in hot & humid Miami. Goodell needs to go away. I'm beginning to think they need to play games, record them, review them and then release them for public consumption a week later. :saywhat: :shakehead: :irked:

Goodell didn't make the decision this time. I think the fact that it may've (I think it did) impacted play on the field is why a draft pick is going to be taken. It wasn't just being on the field. The NFL also issued a memo the day before warning teams about that exact thing. How bad would it have been if the Steelers were able to win? If anything, Tomlin is lucky they lost IMO.

dando
12-08-13, 02:38 PM
I have it on good authority that Elmo will be officiating a snowball fight @ The Linc before the end of the snow game. ;)

WickerBill
12-08-13, 10:29 PM
Remember when the Colts beat SF, Seattle, and Denver?