PDA

View Full Version : There gone to turn right at Indy

SurfaceUnits
09-05-13, 04:26 PM
Spoke w/IMS pres. Doug Boles after the practice. Tearing up road course within 10 days, a little redesign & repaving.

Well, ackshully, there gone to run the road course counter-clockwise, so T-1 won't be a right hander. They got coiled snakes there this week to run both directions, hopefully at thre same time

Duroc
09-09-13, 12:09 PM
This is insane. Pounding money they don't have into rebuilding the road course? :thumbup: I'm sure the 1500 people that show up will be appreciative. :saywhat:

Don Quixote
09-09-13, 12:24 PM
After this, they need to have a street race festival in downtown Indianapolis.

G.
09-09-13, 01:21 PM
This is insane. Pounding money they don't have into rebuilding the road course? :thumbup: I'm sure the 1500 people that show up will be appreciative. :saywhat:

Better put in lights and run it at night.

:thumbup:

Ed_Severson
09-09-13, 01:23 PM
The repaving is a requirement in the contract renewal with MotoGP. The revisions to the road course layout should be minor and fairly inexpensive.

Gnam
09-09-13, 02:43 PM
If they need to add a third event in the future, they could run both tracks at the same time. One lap on the oval, the next on the road course. It would be just like Monza! Indymania! :tony:

JoeBob
09-09-13, 03:33 PM
If they sent Robby Gordon's Truck Series through the golf course, maybe somebody would watch it.

SurfaceUnits
09-09-13, 07:29 PM
If they need to add a third event in the future, they could run both tracks at the same time. One lap on the oval, the next on the road course. It would be just like Monza! Indymania! :tony:

That proposal wood get alot of votes at the official IRL forem.

SurfaceUnits
09-09-13, 10:08 PM
Yes, there are better road courses, but are they in Speedway?!?!

Gnam
09-10-13, 12:21 AM
:laugh: still funny.

SurfaceUnits
09-26-13, 05:46 PM
Jenna Fryer ‏
#IndyCar is going to have a road course race at IMS. You thought that wasn't going to happen?

A Gomer says NASCAR drivers could qualify for the fihunnert by racing cabs at IRP

Indianapolis Motor Speedway confirms IndyCar road-course race for May 2014
Indianapolis 500 month will include road race to kick-off festivities

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130926/INDYCAR/130929843

SurfaceUnits
09-26-13, 05:49 PM
Gomers whine : having the race at the opening of the #INDY500 month ruins some of the prestige of the 500 #IMO

why May? I won't pay to see both races that close to each other. The 500 crowd will be small this year

They are doing it in May??? IndyCar is stupid. You start or end the season with that race!

indyfan31
10-01-13, 06:52 PM
And . . . it's on.

Grand Prix of Indianapolis (http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/indycar/breaking-2014-details-for-gp-of-indianapolis-and-indy-500/)

"The race will feature a standing start and will run clockwise, the opposite of the Indianapolis 500, creating even more diverse competition during the month." :saywhat:

Gnam
10-01-13, 07:14 PM
And . . . it's on.

Grand Prix of Indianapolis (http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/indycar/breaking-2014-details-for-gp-of-indianapolis-and-indy-500/)

"The race will feature a standing start and will run clockwise, the opposite of the Indianapolis 500, creating even more diverse competition during the month." :saywhat:
up is DOWN. Black is white. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria. :gomer::tony::gomer:

:laugh:

Chief
10-02-13, 10:35 AM
You all missed the kicker......

Track officials hope to finish the resurfacing by Dec. 1, in time to add in curbing and a signature chicane to the course and, hopefully, hold testing in the spring.

(nothing sez AOW better than seeing those ugly slugs slow down to do a left/right in the middle of the IMS front straight...****ing pussies)

http://www.ibj.com/speedways-may-grand-prix-requires-road-track-overhaul/PARAMS/article/43830

cameraman
10-02-13, 11:31 AM
A 200 mile roadie in a 2.5 hour broadcast slot:rolleyes:

Someone is delusional. The Singapore GP was ~190 miles and it barely got done in the two hour window. The race literally had about 1 minute to spare. How many full course yellows does an IRL race usually have:shakehead:

Gnam
10-02-13, 12:00 PM
You all missed the kicker......

(nothing sez AOW better than seeing those ugly slugs slow down to do a left/right in the middle of the IMS front straight...****ing pussies)

http://www.ibj.com/speedways-may-grand-prix-requires-road-track-overhaul/PARAMS/article/43830
Hopefully the Sports Car race in July doesn't use it. :thumbdown:

JoeBob
10-02-13, 02:18 PM
The "signature chicane" is turns 5 and 6 on this map:
http://digbza2f4g9qo.cloudfront.net/~/media/IndyCar/News/Standard/2013/10/10-01-GPoI-Track-Details-Std.jpg

The only "signature chicane" I can think of is The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Maybe they plan to drag that Hot Wheels jump out of the warehouse to make this one memorable?

G.
10-02-13, 02:21 PM
And the versatility could put more races on Indy's future schedules.

"We could bring even more people out here with the addition of other sports-car racing, whether it's a big event or a vintage event," Miles said.

Awesome. Mindy is now Just. Another. Track.

Mission accomplished. :rofl:

Can they set up an ice/rally course in the infield? Why waste the winter months?
When will the Bimmer and Porsche club rentals happen? Those can be mighty profitable!

Is the track getting set into a position to be sold?

Chief
10-02-13, 02:31 PM
http://digbza2f4g9qo.cloudfront.net/~/media/IndyCar/News/Standard/2013/10/10-01-GPoI-Track-Details-Std.jpg

Dearest Joebob...thx. It looks to be 4 physical chicanes, and 22 to 26 rolling ones come race month. :p

Wonder if they'll have a $$$$ bonus to win both Indy races...from SONAX! :rofl:

Chief
10-02-13, 02:57 PM
Tradition is now OFFICIAL thrown out the window by HULMAN RACING. Wow, they all in to fail...:rofl:

VXnlCe_eatA

JoeBob
10-02-13, 03:14 PM
I stopped at "I'll buy you dinner if we get more than 40,000 fans."

IN INDIANAPOLIS!

Also: Why was Roger Penske in the pictures, but not Tony George?

Napoleon
10-02-13, 03:55 PM
Can they set up an ice/rally course in the infield? Why waste the winter months?
When will the Bimmer and Porsche club rentals happen?

How about a Figure 8 Demo Derby track? My local fairgrounds had one.

Andrew Longman
10-02-13, 04:58 PM
How about a Figure 8 Demo Derby track? My local fairgrounds had one.With schoolbuses and camp trailers!

And fire works!

And record setting monster truck jumps... wait, I think they did that already.

Mary
10-02-13, 08:37 PM
Random Thoughts:

$50 for four people??!!?? Why even print tickets at that price? Do they really think they'll get 40K people to pay those prices, LOL!? I am truly speechless. Almost. I guess after almost two decades I can't all them hypocrites anymore, but gosh, I am at a loss for words. Do they have even a clue about the level of irony in this? I guess I shouldn't be stunned after almost two decades, but I think I am. Or maybe I'm just punch drunk.

Mary

SurfaceUnits
10-02-13, 10:41 PM
Garshdarnit it was brokened and needed to be fixered

Gnam
10-03-13, 01:58 AM

The only "signature chicane" I can think of is The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Maybe they plan to drag that Hot Wheels jump out of the warehouse to make this one memorable?
Maybe they'll bury someone under it? Killing things is their signature move.

Andrew Longman
10-03-13, 09:48 AM
They hired Boston Consulting to tell them what to do? :rofl::rofl:

Really?

It is not a very complicated business. I am a business consultant and I compete daily with Boston and I can say with great confidence that the only advice they needed could be found on the internet. Crap the best advice could be found right here at OC. All free.

So the place that was known for speed records and scary fast is going to show the same cars going slow on a crappy road course that doesn't require a lot of skill? Got it.

They have no sense what their brand is about. Correctiion... was about. It is all gone. I know it is all gone when I am getting on an airplane leaving Houston tomorrow about the same time as their first practice here. When I don't care, no one does.

SteveH
10-03-13, 10:49 AM
This is no longer about the brand. It's about paying the bills and shoring up an ever shrinking schedule. There are only so many double headers that can be ran. Adding the road course at IMS is cheap, I would suspect the track got a deal on the sanction fee. ;) If 40K show up, that would be 40K more than would have anyway. It will look like a loser but it will help reduce the losses the track suffers in May when no one shows up except for Carburation Day and the 500.

stroker
10-03-13, 11:00 AM
Wait until they decide to run a total of 4 races at IMS. Two road races (running opposite directions) and two oval races (one the 500 and the other at night)... That's a quarter of their season schedule right there!

Chief
10-03-13, 11:38 AM
It's CART's fault! :laugh:

Rogue Leader
10-03-13, 11:52 AM
The track design is.... interesting to say the least its a pretty significant change to the original design. As for running it to open the Month of May.... I wish I could find the words but I just ..... I wish It could just be the way it was.

As for doubleheaders, I think in CART's heyday when teams were flush with cash and had spare cars, MAYBE it wouldn't be a bad idea. But many teams don't have backups, don't have a ton of spares, and don't have the money to write off cars. Drivers are fatigued by the second day, equipment is beat up, its a recipe for disaster, I only hope it doesn't get anyone killed. And also as a fan who actually likes to watch the races, 6 hours of Indycars in 1 weekend is a bit much, even DVR'd, especially when the second race is going to be a caution filled crash fest.

DagoFast
10-03-13, 12:18 PM
I like how the H/G answer is to always spend money on **** that doesn't matter. They took a relatively boring road course and dumbed it down further making it completely boring and now suitable for their equally dumbed down boring cars. Now we just get to wait and see if the new crapwagons can beat the old F1 cars times on "the road course" because you just know these disingenuous meatbags will brag about it without adding an asterisk.

Rogue Leader
10-03-13, 12:19 PM
http://jalopnik.com/indycars-second-race-at-the-indy-motor-speedway-is-an-1440322118

SurfaceUnits
10-03-13, 01:23 PM
^^they are just putting a new sauce on the same caca sammich he has enjoyed for years,,,you IRl strett race looser

Gnam
10-03-13, 03:15 PM
The important question is will there be beach volleyball?
:p

Napoleon
10-03-13, 04:42 PM
This whole idea just reeks of desperation.

Chief
10-03-13, 07:07 PM
,,,you IRl strett race looser

:laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::laugh:

chop456
10-04-13, 07:10 AM
This whole idea just reeks of desperation.

Yeah. That's a fresh twist, huh? :laugh:

Chief
10-04-13, 10:37 AM
There gone to turn right at Indy.....:p

Uy66OCILOiY

SurfaceUnits
11-26-13, 02:02 AM
Ticket sales for the inaugural IndyCar road race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway next May are off to a fast start, IMS officials say. The officials expect attendance to hit at least 50,000—the high end of Speedway projections when the event was announced in September.

“We had a very good first week and we’ve had steady interest since,” said IMS President Doug Boles.

As expected, the May 10 race will be attended mostly by locals, with 76 percent of the ticket buyers coming from Indiana, according to Boles.

The density of ticket buyers coming from Indiana means visitor spending from the event will be limited, tourism and hospitality experts said. If the early sales projections hold true, that means only about 12,000 non-Hoosiers will attend the race.

DagoFast
11-26-13, 11:40 AM
Perfect. This road race could help the fi-hunnert to become just as provincial! :gomer: