PDA

View Full Version : Good, Bad, Indifferent?

cameraman
09-04-13, 06:50 PM
@MarioAndretti joining us for @F1onNBCSports coverage of the Italian GP this weekend!

I guess I'm curious to hear what he has to say. I guess it is kind of odd that he hasn't been involved with any F1 coverage in the last decade or so.

chop456
09-05-13, 01:26 AM
I'm sure he'll try to slip in something about how grate the earl is. :yuck:

:backflip:

gerhard911
09-05-13, 08:04 AM
I'm sure he'll try to slip in something about how grate the earl is. :yuck:

:backflip:

Yep, you can take that to the bank. No doubt Mario will be making the same trip.

BarillaGirl
09-08-13, 11:25 PM
I guess I'm curious to hear what he has to say. I guess it is kind of odd that he hasn't been involved with any F1 coverage in the last decade or so.

Actually, I was glad he was on hand to translate the Ferrari–Alonso communications that the team's not supposed to be making in Italian. I laughed out loud when Leigh Diffey paused and said, "Mario?" :rofl:

cameraman
09-08-13, 11:33 PM
I thought they showed incredible self control to not say word one about the IRL until the end of the post race show. It wasn't bad at all.

Winston Wolfe
09-09-13, 12:43 AM
I thought they showed incredible self control to not say word one about the IRL until the end of the post race show. It wasn't bad at all.

I thought Mario had some interesting comments, mostly noting about the weather conditions, how there was much less wind that the previous days and his comments about lack of tire wear on the harder compound tires, since there were cloudy conditions which may have kept the track a bit cooler for the tires to last... Mario did a nice job with a few decent added insights about driving Monza and I thought the race overall was a good watch for the 4th - 10th place positions. Watching Seb and this "Infiniti" Red Bull car is like watching Schuey back at the turn of the century when he dominated with Ferrari... Vettel has total wins equaling Fred Alonso, and he surpassed Ol Nige with todays win...
Overall, I think LH had a great day and I don't even really like him... :gomer:

Insomniac
09-09-13, 01:44 PM
I thought the pre-race was bad because they kept forcing him into the show, but during the race it was great because they let him add stuff when he wanted to comment. He added more color.

Gnam
09-09-13, 03:07 PM
I guess it is kind of odd that he hasn't been involved with any F1 coverage in the last decade or so.
I agree. It seems like a no-brainer to have the most recognizable American associated with Forumla 1 to help present it to the American public.

Andrew Longman
09-09-13, 04:53 PM
The first thought I had was to wonder how much Mario charged them, and the limo that was required, to get him from Nazareth, PA to Stamford, CT. I love Mario but he does nothing for free... or even cheap.

I thought he made several insightful comments that showed he was knowledgable and engaged. As mentioned, the weather and wind were good examp

He's Mario, so he doesn't have to, but he could work a bit on his broadcast voice. We wasn't always clear and animated.

The Studio team in general seems to miss some obvious strategic points from time to time -- like leaving Alonso out with old tires as long as they did on Sunday. Buxton had to point out the mistake later.

But I will take them over just about anyone if I can't have James Hunt and Murray Walker.

Mary
09-11-13, 12:54 PM
I agree. It seems like a no-brainer to have the most recognizable American associated with Forumla 1 to help present it to the American public.

Well, there are a lot of no-brains in American motor racing. ;)

Mary