PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Futility

SurfaceUnits
09-02-13, 01:02 AM
Cripes. This race is nuts. This whole day is nuts. “@BobRahal: What a punk move by Kanaan. Use to have respect for him but no longer.”

What?! I can't keep up! “@dariofranchitti: Well, I think I've seen it all now...”

Chief
09-02-13, 11:58 AM
Bob Rahal? Is that the guy who used to be on David Letterman? The guy that has done more for AOW racing than anyone? The backstabbing turncoat Bob Rahal?

This could be the reason old double-rat-faced lying *******s should not be allowed to tweet anything. Where's Tony's man-lover to slap Rathole (ala-Max Papis stylee)? :p

TKGAngel
09-02-13, 12:55 PM
This is relatively minor in light of the circus that happened on the track, but it hurts my ears to hear the broadcast crew refer to a driver having so many push-to-passes left. The push is the noun that should be pluralized, not the pass.

/geek

SurfaceUnits
09-02-13, 03:28 PM
Tony Kanaan ‏@TonyKanaan 20h

Hey Bob this is my twitter handle. Just in case u need it RT @BobRahal

SurfaceUnits
09-02-13, 03:32 PM
This is relatively minor in light of the circus that happened on the track, but it hurts my ears to hear the broadcast crew refer to a driver having so many push-to-passes left. The push is the noun that should be pluralized, not the pass.

/geek

I can't comment on the race as there was none. Amateur hour demolition derby at best. I was watching with sadness actually and trying to understand what has happened to Indycar. I'm pretty sure these ugly dallaras have allowed people to do dumb stuff. I think these cars took away the craft and skill needed to race open wheel cars. I'm trying very hard not to be negative, but this race was a disaster. There are people here who will disagree and enjoy yellow parades for two hours in return for five minute double restart and half a field in the wall ,I just don't get it. I had pleasant experience watching nice looking cars at Indy lights race afterwards and how people draft ,set up the pass and go side by side with open wheels an inch of each other displaying great skill of clean racing. My post wont make a difference one way or the other in down spiral of Indycar, but they seriously need to exam this product and fix it for the good of everyone who still care for the sport of open wheel formula type of racing. Ridicules indeed!

heliocastroneves#3

I don't know about you guys but I saw an amazing race today,

Embarrassing , that's all I'm going to say.

Great post FIAT1. For the last three years, I try very hard to get myself to like IndyCars, but races like this one are a big letdown. The last race in Sonoma also had too many yellows and crashfest all the way, the race in Detroit too. In fact, nothing has changed. Street course races looked the same even before DW12. I remember the 2011 Toronto street race left me with the same feelings, and I always dreaded watching IndyCars on the streets since then. I don't know what to blame here.. the drivers, the race tracks, the cars, or the organizers? Everything is probably to blame. This race did redeem itself in the eyes of fans with the hard racing in the end, but it was not a good accomplishment overall. This is not a sellable product for the masses. Show this race to someone used to watching F1 racing, and they will ask, why do I need to watch something like this ever again?

The race craft or race tactics of drivers are often to blame. Besides the amateurs taking themselves out, like JR did in one race this year under caution, more experienced drivers regularly do dumb things too. Franchitti takes out Power in Toronto 2011, Hunter Reay spins Sato in Edmonton 2011, then Sato plows into Hunter-Reay in the pit lane in Pocono this year, now Power takes out Dixon.. this never ends.

SurfaceUnits
09-02-13, 03:38 PM
drewdawg727
Moderator & 2011 IndyCar Pickems Champion

Baltimore was the best race of the season for me

Shame for all the yellows, but that just means a bunch of hungry people wanting to win! Indycar is at the top of their game at the moment

SurfaceUnits
09-02-13, 03:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTHYISgCIAAL6JV.jpg

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport/9115087/Dixon-rages-after-Baltimore-GP-disaster

pfc_m_drake
09-03-13, 09:02 PM
drewdawg727
Moderator & 2011 IndyCar Pickems Champion

Baltimore was the best race of the season for me

Shame for all the yellows, but that just means a bunch of hungry people wanting to win! Indycar is at the top of their game at the momentAnd the thing is that he's not trolling - he really means it.

I was actually thinking yesterday that I think what's happened is that IndyCar has become 'IROCized', if you will, with the spec DW12. It's hard for me to verbalize, but it's the fact that anybody can win any given race - and NOT in a good way. To me, it seems like there's not enough reward for excellence...doing it better than the next guy doesn't seem to get you very far. And to me, that's pretty unsatisfying.

stroker
09-04-13, 11:00 AM
And the thing is that he's not trolling - he really means it.

I was actually thinking yesterday that I think what's happened is that IndyCar has become 'IROCized', if you will, with the spec DW12. It's hard for me to verbalize, but it's the fact that anybody can win any given race - and NOT in a good way. To me, it seems like there's not enough reward for excellence...doing it better than the next guy doesn't seem to get you very far. And to me, that's pretty unsatisfying.

Once you get to that point you might as well have each driver roll six dice and see who has the highest point total. He wins. Saves a lot of money in carbon fiber.

Duroc
09-04-13, 12:51 PM
I was actually thinking yesterday that I think what's happened is that IndyCar has become 'IROCized'

That's a good way to put it, though I see that dynamic as effect of a dying series rather than cause. Next up; one of the mfgs will drop, and the last one will putter around for cheap race wins until the budget goes away, and that will be that.

So is this it for Baltimore? I can't see the city pounding any more money into that sinkhole. Nobody cares, attendance is horrible and local businesses are complaining that their rake is worse than a normal weekend. Hapless series produces hapless results for local economy. The vision lives on. :tony:

SurfaceUnits
09-16-13, 02:33 AM
American LeMans Series Race Taped ABC Sun 0.9

IRL Race(Live) NBC Sports Network Sun 0.2

On the West Coast there was some overlap between the ALMS replay and the live IndyCar telecast.