PDA

View Full Version : And such

WickerBill
08-19-13, 09:45 AM
Grammar fascists, question for you.

Co-worker of mine has a terrible verbal tic, and says "and such" continually, some times two or three times in a sentence. That's not the issue, the issue is how to communicate it. When you want to tell someone how many times you've heard "and such", do you say:

A. I've heard 25 and suchs today
B. I've heard 25 and suches today
C. I've heard 25 "and such"s today

(Important stuff, this)

cameraman
08-19-13, 10:27 AM
C.

and you have my condolences...

Although better grammar would be to say "I have heard "and such" 25 times today."

nrc
08-19-13, 10:29 AM
How about - "I've heard 'and such' 25 times today?"

Edit: Edged out by cameraman, although I'm slumming with the contraction.

Insomniac
08-19-13, 10:32 AM
Grammar fascists, question for you.

Co-worker of mine has a terrible verbal tic, and says "and such" continually, some times two or three times in a sentence. That's not the issue, the issue is how to communicate it. When you want to tell someone how many times you've heard "and such", do you say:

A. I've heard 25 and suchs today
B. I've heard 25 and suches today

(Important stuff, this)

I would go with D. Such isn't a noun, so I don't think it has a plural.

D. I heard "and such" 25 times today.

cameraman
08-19-13, 10:33 AM
Edit: Edged out by cameraman, although I'm slumming with the contraction.
Yeah but you got the single quotes right...

Don Quixote
08-19-13, 10:46 AM
I vote D., and whatnot.

WickerBill
08-19-13, 11:46 AM
You are all correct, assuming D. is an option. I received an IM saying "and suches", then asking me to clarify how to properly pluralize the word such or the phrase "and such". It can be moved to a new place in the sentence, sure, but then it just looks like I'm avoiding the original question of the asker. :)

Don Quixote
08-19-13, 11:54 AM
Is "asker" a word?

G.
08-19-13, 01:27 PM
Like a catchy tune, I'm going to have "and such" stuck in my vocabulary today. My co-workers thank you.

They will most likely not say anything about it though.
Irregardless, their to polite to comment much.

:gomer:

Gnam
08-19-13, 01:46 PM
The correct answer is: such's

knowwhatimsayin

1uCpDHzm_DM

Dvdb
08-19-13, 02:00 PM
c.

And I had to listen to "true that" close to 25 times yesterday. :rolleyes:

Elmo T
08-19-13, 02:04 PM

(Important stuff, this)

Will you be doing air quotes for the "and such"s part?

Irregardless, their to polite to comment much.

Was that an "Irregardless" troll to?? ;)

Well if it was, I could care less.

WickerBill
08-19-13, 03:19 PM
Suddenly I hate this thread

stroker
08-19-13, 04:13 PM
Air horn each time.

RaceGrrl
08-19-13, 04:31 PM
Awesome thread. :D

WickerBill
08-21-13, 09:21 AM
Because I know everyone wants to know this. I'm in an ALL WEEK meeting with And Such.

Counts:

Monday: 38
Tuesday: 51
Wednesday: 17 and it is only 9:20a.

TKGAngel
08-21-13, 11:50 AM
If you have a beverage, you should take a sip of it every time Mr. And Such says those words. See if anyone else starts to notice.

TravelGal
08-21-13, 11:53 AM
If you have a beverage, you should take a sip of it every time Mr. And Such says those words. See if anyone else starts to notice.

:thumbup:

Probably just because of this thread, I noticed that our dinner companion last night must have said, "That's CRAZY" at least every 10 minutes. Thanks WickerBill.

WickerBill
08-21-13, 12:38 PM

It would have to be a significant beverage. :) Do I take multiple loud sips when he drops it more than one time in a sentence?

datachicane
08-21-13, 12:59 PM
I've got a good friend, well-educated guy, who feels compelled to include 'literally' in nearly every sentence. If that wasn't bad enough, he pronounces it 'lih-TRAH-lee'. I've noticed in the last year or so his wife has started doing the same thing, same pronunciation and all. A quarantine may be in order.

WickerBill
08-21-13, 01:04 PM
datac,

This has been making the rounds recently and relates to your friend. I think it is a sign of the apocalypse:

datachicane
08-21-13, 01:11 PM
Keep us posted on the score. Frustrated English-speakers the world over share your pain.

gjc2
08-21-13, 01:45 PM
Have you noticed TV commercials using terms like “three times less” instead of “one third as much” ???

It’s been driving me crazy (and that’s a short drive)

Gnam
08-21-13, 04:04 PM
...he pronounces it 'lih-TRAH-lee'.
Isn't that the british pronunciation?

nissan gtp
08-21-13, 04:09 PM
this thead makes we :rofl: and such

Kiwifan
08-22-13, 01:30 AM
Stolen from Skoften Picdump (NSFW), Mixing up "Your and You're" just because they sound similar is like mixing up "Catastrophe" with "Cat Ass Trophy" :rofl:

I often see that (Your/You're) here and there but never call anyone out in case they put me in "storage" :o: D : D

TravelGal
08-22-13, 02:03 AM
Stolen from Skoften Picdump (NSFW), Mixing up "Your and You're" just because they sound similar is like mixing up "Catastrophe" with "Cat Ass Trophy" :rofl:

I often see that (Your/You're) here and there but never call anyone out in case they put me in "storage" :o: D : D

You're not supposed to make me laugh out loud like that at this hour of the night. :D:D

I'm paraphrasing but I also got a laugh out of: "Welcome to the internet. Please check the appropriate box." Then it had two sentences with "your" and "you're" and three sentences with "there" their" and "they're." Next came, "OH, you missed one! Your email account has been deleted." I loved it. If only they would add the "it's" and "its" to the list.

chop456
08-22-13, 05:00 AM
http://eloquentscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/bobsqu.gif

WickerBill
08-22-13, 08:27 AM
Yesterday ended with 33. He was silent most of the afternoon.

Commas - use them.

RaceGrrl
08-22-13, 01:06 PM
The apostrophe thing makes me crazy. But my recent pet peeve is "than" and "then." Something is not "less then" it's "less THAN." Oh, and U, 2 and 4 as substitutes for you, too/two/to and for/four. And sentence fragments. Hate those. :D

stroker
08-22-13, 01:07 PM
The apostrophe thing makes me crazy. But my recent pet peeve is "than" and "then." Something is not "less then" it's "less THAN." Oh, and U, 2 and 4 as substitutes for you, too/two/to and for/four. And sentence fragments. Hate those. :D

I see what you did there.

:rofl:

WickerBill
08-22-13, 01:37 PM
Sorry to keep doing this. This one is for Grrl.

Kiwifan
08-22-13, 02:23 PM
^ Oh my! :rofl:

Here in New Zealand a LOT of people say "Think" when they mean "Thing". "Oh I'm sorry I didn't bring anythink to the party. Yeah, obviously. :D

TravelGal
08-22-13, 04:44 PM
Sorry to keep doing this. This one is for Grrl.

Biggest laugh I've had all week. :rofl:

^ Oh my! :rofl:

Here in New Zealand a LOT of people say "Think" when they mean "Thing". "Oh I'm sorry I didn't bring anythink to the party. Yeah, obviously. :D

How Yiddish!

chop456
08-22-13, 11:24 PM

Commas - use them.

I like this one, too.

http://theliteraryman.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/comma-comma.jpg?w=604

nrc
08-23-13, 12:25 AM
I still think that apostrophe's are more frequently misused than commas.

chop456
08-23-13, 01:40 AM
I think you meant comma's.

mapguy
08-23-13, 06:20 AM

Commas - use them.

What were you doing in the ladies room? :saywhat::D

pfc_m_drake
08-23-13, 07:53 AM
The one that I've heard a lot lately is people saying 'mute point' when they mean 'moot point'.

In fact, I've heard it SO often that I'm beginning to wonder if there is in fact something to the 'mute point' thing that has escaped my attention and perhaps that *I* am the one who is ignorant.

TKGAngel
08-23-13, 08:55 AM
The one that I've heard a lot lately is people saying 'mute point' when they mean 'moot point'.

In fact, I've heard it SO often that I'm beginning to wonder if there is in fact something to the 'mute point' thing that has escaped my attention and perhaps that *I* am the one who is ignorant.

Thanks to an episode of Friends, I can't hear 'moot point' without wanting to change it to 'moo point.' Damn television, warping my brain.

stroker
08-23-13, 09:23 AM
I accidentally used "waive" instead of "wave" in a business email the other day. I about crawled under my chair...

Ed_Severson
08-23-13, 09:39 AM
I've got a good friend, well-educated guy, who feels compelled to include 'literally' in nearly every sentence. If that wasn't bad enough, he pronounces it 'lih-TRAH-lee'. I've noticed in the last year or so his wife has started doing the same thing, same pronunciation and all. A quarantine may be in order.

Sounds like your friends are 'Parks and Rec' fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9GVKxSiQVM

G.
08-23-13, 02:24 PM

Once we get the rubes to fix that, then we can move on to what "moot" actually means. (hint: the primary definition is NOT synonymous with "irrelevant".)

;)

Napoleon
08-23-13, 03:07 PM
Once we get the rubes to fix that, then we can move on to what "moot" actually means.

Actually this is one where I think usage in the US has changed over time so that now the typical US usage is contrary to UK usage. With a very quick internet search it was already being used repeatedly for the “American” usage by the US Supreme Court by the 40s. Language is not static, and if it was there is a pretty good chance the whole world would speak the same language.

chop456
08-25-13, 12:02 AM

Can't hear that without thinking of this classic:

http://www.maniacworld.com/question-is-moot.html

Insomniac
08-25-13, 01:38 PM
I like this one, too.

http://theliteraryman.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/comma-comma.jpg?w=604

Oxford comma is a debate in our office. I grew up not using them and only use it when it's not clear how to separate the items. I like to think people can sort out whether the strippers were JFK and Stalin even without the Oxford comma, but that's just me. :)

TravelGal
08-25-13, 06:57 PM
I accidentally used "waive" instead of "wave" in a business email the other day. I about crawled under my chair...

I hate when that happens. At least you didn't use "site" for "sight". Did you? I see it very often these days. :rolleyes:

Elmo T
08-26-13, 08:26 AM
Oxford comma is a debate in our office. I grew up not using them and only use it when it's not clear how to separate the items. I like to think people can sort out whether the strippers were JFK and Stalin even without the Oxford comma, but that's just me. :)

I use it even though I've had English teachers mark it up as incorrect usage.

What has really taken a long time to get over is the use of contractions. In high school, it was NO contractions in any formal writing. :saywhat:

stroker
08-26-13, 08:27 AM
I hate when that happens. At least you didn't use "site" for "sight". Did you? I see it very often these days. :rolleyes:

Nope. I'm on the lookout for that one. :)

stroker
08-26-13, 08:28 AM
In high school, it was NO contractions in any formal writing. :saywhat:

That is asinine.

;)

Don Quixote
08-26-13, 10:04 AM
In high school, it was NO contractions in any formal writing. :saywhat:Did anybody else notice that the dialogue in the remake of True Grit did not have any contractions? [Coolstorybro]

Gnam
08-26-13, 12:34 PM
I did not.

G.
08-26-13, 02:37 PM
What has really taken a long time to get over is the use of contractions. In high school, it was NO contractions in any formal writing. :saywhat:

Oh yeah?

In MY high school, we had to spell out acronyms!

How would you like to do a science project using Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation devices?

Or on a Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatuses?

:flaming:

Elmo T
08-26-13, 02:53 PM
Oh yeah?

In MY high school, we had to spell out acronyms!

:rofl::rofl:

Should I pile on?

We had to use the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association for my research projects when I completed the Executive Fire Officer program at the Federal Emergency Management Agency's National Emergency Training Center. (I would have called it the APA manual and FEMA NETC, but I don't want to be reprimanded.)

Anyhow - we didn't have to use the standard APA manual, the NETC uses their own amended version. :saywhat:

Gnam
08-26-13, 03:26 PM
I thought the rule was to spell out the acronym the first time it appears followed by the acronym in parentheses.
For example:

The American Le Mans Series (ALMS) is a racing series I enjoy watching. After this year, the ALMS will cease to exist.

No one wants to read the long names over and over.

cameraman
08-26-13, 05:40 PM
I found this one today...

UNMIAUCWSAR

:saywhat:

(United Nations Mission to Investigate Alleged Uses of Chemical Weapons in the Syrian Arab Republic)