PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Triple Sec?

stroker
08-12-13, 09:14 PM
I had a bunch of friends over for my 50th a few years ago. We grilled steaks and everybody brought the mixings for Margaritas, but now I've got two or three bottles of Triple Sec hanging around. Does it mix with anything? Aside from Margaritas what can I DO with it?

SurfaceUnits
08-12-13, 09:41 PM
Marinade for orange chicken

chop456
08-13-13, 02:53 AM
You need a cocktail app for your phone. :thumbup:

stroker
08-13-13, 08:51 AM
You need a cocktail app for your phone. :thumbup:

Alas, my phone cost $10 and makes calls. That's it.

nrc
08-13-13, 09:18 AM
You're in luck - almost everything fruity has Triple Sec in it. :)

http://www.boozemixer.com/search/triple+sec

Don Quixote
08-13-13, 10:44 AM
Excellent ice cream topping. :D

TravelGal
08-13-13, 12:13 PM
Alas, my phone cost $10 and makes calls. That's it.

I see you found the same one TravelGuy has. :thumbup:

Excellent ice cream topping. :D

There's a man after my own heart. Double :thumbup:

I googled it and found: "Other than those things already mentioned some cake and or muffin recipes call for triple sec in them" and more to the point, I suppose: "mix it with lime juice and vodka. its called a kamakaze. its a shot. the best

Napoleon
08-13-13, 03:52 PM
its called a kamakaze. its a shot. the best

The shot of choice when I was in college.

gjc2
08-13-13, 05:52 PM
Isn’t Triple Sec one of the ingredients of a Bloody Mary?

Kiwifan
08-13-13, 07:36 PM
I was going to say "just lay there and enjoy it" but then I realized I got one little word wrong, sorry. ;-)

stroker
08-13-13, 08:58 PM
Isn’t Triple Sec one of the ingredients of a Bloody Mary?

Not in the Bloody Marys I make it isn't... TS is very sweet.

Indy
08-13-13, 09:07 PM
If it's less than $30 retail per bottle, then it is manufactured crap with artificial ingredients. Personally I would not cook with it.

TravelGal
08-13-13, 09:57 PM
Having reread the original post, I caught "a few years ago." Have you tasted the triple sec now? We were introduced to Irish Mist by a friend who had had the bottle for something like 20 years. It was magic. We bought a new bottle. Nice but not like what we'd had. These things do age and sometimes well. If you still don't find it useful, maybe you can find people who love martinis and trade your bottles for something you like.

Don Quixote
08-14-13, 11:24 AM
If it's less than $30 retail per bottle, then it is manufactured crap with artificial ingredients. Personally I would not cook with it.There is nothing worse than a triple sec snob. :D

Indy
08-17-13, 03:06 PM
Having reread the original post, I caught "a few years ago." Have you tasted the triple sec now? We were introduced to Irish Mist by a friend who had had the bottle for something like 20 years. It was magic. We bought a new bottle. Nice but not like what we'd had. These things do age and sometimes well. If you still don't find it useful, maybe you can find people who love martinis and trade your bottles for something you like.

Maybe it didn't age well. Maybe the company that makes it cheapened the product.

EDIT: Looked it up. They cheapened the product. **** big corporations.

TravelGal
08-17-13, 04:17 PM
Maybe it didn't age well. Maybe the company that makes it cheapened the product.

EDIT: Looked it up. They cheapened the product. **** big corporations.

Thanks for looking that up. One of life's little mysteries solved. The first bottle (the old one) was almost indescribably smooth and full of flavor, almost thick on the tongue. The next ones (20 years newer) are nice, typical, etc. but nothing like the first one.

Indy
08-19-13, 01:07 AM
A good rule of thumb is that any brand that advertises is crap. If they have the money to put in expensive promotion campaigns, then you are massively overpaying for the product you get. SOP in the drinks industry is to buy out a great distillery then replace quality with advertising.

If you ever wonder about a brand, google it. If it is owned by a big corporation, then it will not be good stuff.