SurfaceUnits
08-09-13, 02:14 AM
Looks like Fox is making a big push in many areas for its new 1 network

USGA Awards Fox Rights To U.S. Open, Women's Open, Senior Open

By Michael Smith, Staff Writer

August 7, 2013 06:57 PM
Font Size Resize Small Resize Normal Resize Large | Print | Share
|
Fox Sports, never much of a player in the golf space, has won the rights to the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and the U.S. Senior Open in a stunning deal that takes those majors away from NBC, Golf Channel and ESPN.

The U.S. Golf Association awarded Fox a 12-year multimedia contract that begins in 2015 and runs through 2026. NBC has broadcast the U.S. Open since 1995, meaning the 2014 broadcast — its final one — will be the 20th edition of the U.S. Open that the network has televised.

Fox will pick up rights the following year with Fox’s broadcast network and the soon-to-launch Fox Sports 1 serving as the principal domestic partner. Financial terms were not available.

SurfaceUnits
08-09-13, 02:19 AM
The final days of Speed
Passion of employees, viewers powered motorsports channel

By Tripp Mickle & John Ourand, Staff Writers

These are the final days of Speed. In less than two weeks, the 24-hour network no longer will exist in its current form. Many of its employees will be looking for new jobs.

FROM FOX SPORTS
Fox’s statement on the closing of Speed

“Change in the workplace is challenging, and every job lost in a transition of this type is significant. We’ve been as fair and communicative as possible given our plans at each step along the way. Looking at this project as a whole, we’ve placed those displaced in new positions as often as possible, and the net job-gain at Fox Sports in the past six months is significant, including several new departments in Charlotte. We still expect Charlotte to be an integral part of Fox Sports 1 going forward, especially around our expanded NASCAR race package.”
Speed’s owner, Fox Sports, has decided there is more money to be had in a multisport channel. It will shutter the motorsports channel and convert it into Fox Sports 1 on Aug. 17.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/08/05/Media/Speed.aspx

chop456
08-09-13, 03:13 AM
Besides F1 in HD, I can't think of a single improvement made to the channel in the last 10 years, so it doesn't really matter to me. :shrug:

SurfaceUnits
08-09-13, 02:49 PM
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?18127-Fox-Sports-gets-United-Sports-Car-amp-Continental-series

Andrew Longman
08-09-13, 03:15 PM
By habit I still check it while scrolling the guide but I haven't actually watched anything on Speed in years. Lots have been lost since the Speedvision days. But what other cable channel hasn't gone to crap?

SurfaceUnits
08-12-13, 01:56 PM
While Talks Continue With Major Distributors For FS1, Fox Unveils New Speed Schedule

By John Ourand, Staff Writer

Published August 12, 2013

Just five days before the launch of FS1, Fox Sports still has yet to cut deals with at least three of the four biggest distributors: DirecTV, Dish Network and Time Warner Cable. The three distributors said they are still in discussions with Fox to carry the channel, which launches Saturday. Distributors that do not cut a deal for FS1 by Saturday will continue to carry Speed, though it will be a stripped down version of the motorsports channel.

Fox Sports has little reason to make Speed a high-quality channel after Aug. 17, since it wants distributors to agree to take the more expensive FS1. Distributors pay around $0.23 per subscriber per month for Speed, according to figures from SNL Kagan. Fox is seeking $0.80 per subscriber per month for FS1 initially -- a rate that would increase to around $1.50 toward the end of the multiyear carriage deals it is seeking.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/08/12/Media/FS1-Carriage.aspx

G.
08-12-13, 03:16 PM
Fox Sports has little reason to make Speed a high-quality channel after Aug. 17, since it wants distributors to agree to take the more expensive FS1. Distributors pay around $0.23 per subscriber per month for Speed, according to figures from SNL Kagan. Fox is seeking $0.80 per subscriber per month for FS1 initially -- a rate that would increase to around $1.50 toward the end of the multiyear carriage deals it is seeking.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/08/12/Media/FS1-Carriage.aspxThat doesn't look very good...

nrc
08-12-13, 05:21 PM
I couldn't find anything in those stories that gave me a reason to care about FS1. I'd rather have the NFL network.

SurfaceUnits
08-12-13, 08:40 PM
At Least Seven Distributors Have Agreed To Carry FS1

Published August 12, 2013

Comcast, Cablevision, Charter, Cox, Verizon, AT&T and Suddenlink -- distributors that account for nearly 45 million subscribers -- have committed to carry FS1 on its Aug. 17 launch. That leaves DirecTV, Dish Network, Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks -- accounting for more than 47 million subscribers -- as the distributors that do not have deals in place for FS1 yet even though its launch date is just five days away. All four distributors are in active negotiations for FS1, sources say. (Time Warner Cable handles programming negotiations for Bright House.) When Fox announced the channel earlier this year, it said it planned to launch FS1 into 90 million homes.

opinionated ow
08-12-13, 08:44 PM
ironically as your speed is being merged into a foxsports, our motorsport was demerged from the various foxsports channels. Not that it makes a difference as pretty much nobody in Australia has subscription tv...

Tifosi24
08-12-13, 09:21 PM
Woohoo, I get to keep FS1. I could care less, Speed has been terrible for years. The only thing possible redeeming at this point is V8 Supercars, but that isn't even in HD. NBCSN is the sport channel of interest to me at this point. They carry everything that I care about, but the only thing I wish is that I didn't need a special digital receiver to get it on Charter. Starting next fall, it will only be available on my main television, because I won't be paying $10 bucks a month for my other two TVs. Everything is a racket these days with cable.

Insomniac
08-13-13, 01:56 PM
I couldn't find anything in those stories that gave me a reason to care about FS1. I'd rather have the NFL network.

Problem is, we'll have to pay for the channel if it ends up in your package. :( Content providers are making our bills climb so fast.

A. La. Carte. Let the market speak.

TravelGal
08-13-13, 02:17 PM
Problem is, we'll have to pay for the channel if it ends up in your package. :( Content providers are making our bills climb so fast.

A. La. Carte. Let the market speak.

:thumbup: CF: Time Warner vs. CBS in Los Angeles, New York, and Dallas.

SurfaceUnits
08-13-13, 04:54 PM

Antenna is better - Full uncompressed HDTV with no delay. You get to see Ben Worthlessberger get sacked 6 seconds sooner than on cable. Plus the replay as well.

Napoleon
08-14-13, 08:55 AM

read this morn that CBS held on to its number one spot despite being dropped by TW in those markets and that HD attennas are flying off the shelves in those cities.

SurfaceUnits
08-15-13, 12:58 AM
TWC will carry FS1 when it launches Aug 17. Customers will also have access to FS2 when it rebrands from Fuel on the same day.

DirecTV, Time Warner, Bright House near deals for Fox Sports 1

August 14, 2013 06:34 PM
Font Size Resize Small Resize Normal Resize Large | Print | Share
|
DirecTV, Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks are likely to carry Fox Sports 1 at its launch on Saturday, according to sources with direct knowledge of the deals. The three distributors still have not signed deals to carry the channel, but the sources expect all three providers to have it available on Saturday.

Dish Network did not respond to email requests for comment. But sources said they expected Dish to carry the channel, as well. The Los Angeles Times is reporting that Dish Network has agreed to carry FS1 at launch.

Fox Sports executives have said that they expect FS1 to launch in 90 million homes. These deals are certain to get the channel to that number.

SurfaceUnits
08-15-13, 10:12 AM
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/binary/2013/08/15/FS1_LAUNCH_FINAL1376573555481.pdf

JLMannin
08-15-13, 10:32 PM
I cancelled cable about two years ago. I have no idea what a "Honey-boo-boo" is or what "Duck Dynasty" is. I figure I am not missing much