PDA

View Full Version : Someone thinks moving The 500 to a Monday is a good idea?!

JoeBob
07-30-13, 11:06 PM
Read elsewhere that some consultants think it is a good idea to move the race to Monday of Memorial Day weekend, to avoid competition, and allow NASCAR drivers to compete.

What gets me, is that ANYONE would think that is a good idea!

I've long said that the end result of The Split would be that the Indy 500 would become the open wheel version of Le Mans - a big race that doesn't have a series to support it, but rather a mishmash of races run by the also-rans. The big race, without a strong series, makes the race a prime target for manufacturers that want to cherry pick a big race win for marketing purposes. They have no reason to spend money on any other races.

If you move the 500 to Monday, so that NASCAR drivers (and their sponsors) can show up, the "series regulars" will quickly find themselves uncompetitive in the only race that actually matters. I mean, would IMS really want to turn to "a group that is based out of state and is far removed from the significance of the 500 in this community" for their biggest name drivers?

SurfaceUnits
07-31-13, 12:26 AM
They should run it on Tuesday. That way, all the NASCAR fans can get home from Charlotte in order to watch their favorite NASCAR drivers :gomer:

Besides, it's the opening weekend for the WNBA with big games always scheduled for Memorial Day

The Dream season opens at Philips Arena on Saturday night against Tulsa at 7 p.m. on SportSouth and one of the league's new trio of rookies, Skylar Diggins. The WNBA is banking on the rookies, including Brittney Griner and Elena Della Donne, to bring excitement to the league. All three rookies will appear on national TV in a Memorial Day doubleheader.

The NBA playoffs are in swing with big games scheduled on Monday.

Then there is the French Open

The NHL has the conference semi-finals

Isn't there also a hot dog eating contest or watermellon seed spitting contest going on

There isn't really a good day for the League

Gnam
07-31-13, 01:11 AM
Every year someone that knows I like racin' asks me if I'm watching the Indy 500 on Monday.
I rarely correct them. :D

I hope Danica wins next year. :laugh:

TravelGal
07-31-13, 11:34 AM
JoeBob doesn't pop in here often but when he does, it's a bombshell.

I have to ask myself, does it really matter? I'm not being sarcastic or snarky OR sentimental. Honestly, does it matter? The 19 fans that are left will find it and the casual fans will show up, or not, the same way they do now. OK, that was snarky but the point is the same. At this point, it's all about the entertainment dollar and nothing about tradition or even about the racing. Grasping at straws, they are.

Chief
07-31-13, 12:33 PM
I'm against this Monday thingy...it cuts into my Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest tape-delay coverage watching, Paul Page covers the event and is still spectacular in a WHOA! kinda way. And, the DW12 is ugly and un-interesting...certainly not an exotic speed machine that captivates my interest. 18 holes of golf or mowing the lawn much better use of my time. :thumbdown:

SurfaceUnits
07-31-13, 12:56 PM
JoeBob doesn't pop in here often but when he does, it's a bombshell.

I have to ask myself, does it really matter? I'm not being sarcastic or snarky OR sentimental. Honestly, does it matter? The 19 fans that are left will find it and the casual fans will show up, or not, the same way they do now. OK, that was snarky but the point is the same. At this point, it's all about the entertainment dollar and nothing about tradition or even about the racing. Grasping at straws, they are.

They even tried mid-night from MOnteggi with no success

JoeBob
07-31-13, 01:45 PM
I don't think it matters.

It just amazes me that they've reached the point where the best option to "save the race" would involve killing the series.

And none of the place fans seem concerned about that in the least.

Don't even get me started on Paul Page announcing the Hot Dog Contest...

Dvdb
07-31-13, 06:47 PM
Now, if you were a true fan of the Hot Dog Eating Contest, you would know it is a 4th of July tradition.

How about moving the 500 hunnert to July 4th?

Chief
08-01-13, 09:33 AM
Ok, so I watch the 1 year prior taped re-run of the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest on Memorial Day Monday. Is there something so wrong with that? :rofl:

The mystique of the 500 is gone...ride buyers can easily sit in a DW12 crap bucket and put it in the top ten. IMS does everything but admit the problem is them...they jam up the whole deal for the past 20 years and expect to reap the rewards and accolades from their investment that will never happen.

They have no respect from anyone anywhere, the public despises them the series and the 500. WHo cares...sure, make it Monday! WGAF.

Duroc
08-01-13, 11:24 AM
All they have left is gimmick They can't do dirt trackin' like the NASCAR trucks, so maybe they can tear up the asphalt and run on the bricks.

For tarditions sake.:gomer:

pfc_m_drake
08-01-13, 02:39 PM
Don't even get me started on Paul Page announcing the Hot Dog Contest...You mean you don't like Marty Reid and Scott Goodyear?

By the way, your quote from TG's letter in your original post was very on point, as always.

SurfaceUnits
08-01-13, 04:18 PM
ESPN research found that professional soccer is the 2nd most popular sport to watch in the US among 12-24 years old.
Well, you can scratch off that demo group

I can see Chip fielding a car for Montoya, but nobody else would go out of their way to field a competitive ride

cart7
08-02-13, 06:32 AM
I suspect it's about getting the ICS series into the 2016 season as cheaply as possible... any gimmick that might draw some interest that would provide some cash into the series that isn't Hulman money is a good thing for them.

Once the 100th running of the 500 is over, they cut the series loose to sink or swim on it's own. I'm even thinking the track will probably get sold as well. The stuff they're spending the taxpayers money on sounds more like a laundry list of things Brian France would want already done if he was to buy the track.

Mary
08-03-13, 04:56 PM
They can pick any day they want since they've already run it into the ground.

Mary

rosawendel
08-03-13, 11:18 PM
Sunday is just a day.

Gnam
08-05-13, 12:56 AM
Sunday is just a day.
It will be a grate day when all the Hulmans own are the trademarks to the names "Indy 500" and "Brickyard".

Then the race will be just a name, and they can run it anytime at any track willing to pay the licensing fee.

RTKar
08-05-13, 07:17 AM
They can move it to Monday, Ground Hog Day or move it to Zimbabwe, I think it's beyond repair with the Hulman-George family in charge. Gimmicks smack of desperation.