PDA

View Full Version : Not so much feedback but a question about old posts...

stroker
07-21-13, 12:08 PM
I'm searching for all my posts trying to find one from roughly 2007/2008 and I'm only getting five pages of results. Did a bunch of our old posts disappear with the new format?

nrc
07-21-13, 02:36 PM
When the forums imported it reported two or three failed post imports. Unfortunately I have no way of identifying exactly what those were. Aside from that the message and thread counts matched after the import.

One gotcha that can make searching for old messages difficult is that the forum places a limit on results returned - I think it defaults to 500. By default results are returned newest first so if the search returns more than 500 posts then the oldest posts won't be included. To find older posts you can set the order that results are returned to "Oldest First" or make sure your search is specific enough to return fewer than 300 posts.

TravelGal
07-21-13, 04:31 PM
I, too, was searching for an old post (thread) today and found the search results rather slim. Can it be that there has, in all of our time, only ONE thread with the word "earthquake" within it? And none with quake? Seems unlikely. I eventually found what I wanted by looking through all posts by Kiwifan. THAT showed me that the same line appears twice. Once in bold and then again in standard because the returned search repeats the first line. That seems like a waste of space, IMHO.

Insomniac
07-22-13, 11:44 AM
I, too, was searching for an old post (thread) today and found the search results rather slim. Can it be that there has, in all of our time, only ONE thread with the word "earthquake" within it? And none with quake? Seems unlikely. I eventually found what I wanted by looking through all posts by Kiwifan. THAT showed me that the same line appears twice. Once in bold and then again in standard because the returned search repeats the first line. That seems like a waste of space, IMHO.

Just curious, having found the post, was there a reason your original search did not turn it up?

nrc
07-22-13, 12:44 PM
I'm puzzled because when I search for "earthquake" I get three pages of threads. When I search for "quake" I get two. I tried it under a test user just to make sure it wasn't something with my account and the results were the same.

stroker
07-22-13, 01:11 PM
I got three pages on "earthquake".

I wish there was a way to search by posts depending on whether they had an attachment.

TravelGal
07-22-13, 08:59 PM
I'm blessed if I know because after reading the replies, I tried it again myself. The same "earthquake" auto-filled so I clicked on Sherlock Holmes's search gear and got those 3 pages you are all talking about. No idea why it didn't work for me the first time but I am *certain* that having the boss look at it is what fixed it. ;)