PDA

View Full Version : The Hopes of IRL Fans Everywhere rest on the Shoulders of a Snail

SurfaceUnits
07-16-13, 09:05 PM
which raises the question, do snails have shoulders

datachicane
07-17-13, 10:49 AM
Which raises a double question- do Marion County place fans have hope?

Chief
07-17-13, 11:28 AM
Which raises more questions: I see promos of "Planes" by IRL partner Disney all over the place. Story is a about a plane that want to win a great plane race. However, I have seen ZERO promos for the TURBO (which releases earlier than PLANES) which is about a snail that wants to win at Indy.

I'd call the IMS Hollywood office but they closed that down a year or so ago. :confused:

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

stroker
07-17-13, 12:10 PM
Oh, crap.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/07/17/turbo-review-kids-will-love-this-silly-funny-animated-flick/

SurfaceUnits
07-17-13, 12:40 PM
Oh, crap.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/07/17/turbo-review-kids-will-love-this-silly-funny-animated-flick/

I think CHief has documented that the hotwheels stunt a couple of years ago generated, oh I don't know, abosolutely zero new interest and fans. And don't you know any kid that goes to an IRL race as a result of the movie will be totally confused and disheartened like the rest of IRL fandom.

TKGAngel
07-17-13, 12:59 PM
According to the USA Today, Turbo is not Driven (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/indycar/2013/07/16/turbo-animated-movie-indy-500-franchitti-kanaan/2522929/).

According to Dario, who served as a technical adviser:

"They asked me, 'How would a snail react to 3 g's?' 'What would downforce do to a snail's shell?' 'How would turbulence affect a snail?'

Wouldn't a snail get smushed at 3Gs and/or when downforce is applied? More importantly, why am I thinking about this?

Chief
07-17-13, 01:47 PM
Though the plot of a snail racing in the Indy 500 is remarkably silly, the silly characters are the heart and center of the film and kids will most likely be racing out for their very own “Turbo” action figures

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzvZ1pv13TQ

Suddenly it doesn't seem so far fetched...HaY, they are using CART turbo sounds too. I ain't kidding. :D

Elmo T
07-17-13, 01:51 PM
And don't you know any kid that goes to an IRL race as a result of the movie will be totally confused and disheartened like the rest of IRL fandom.

I foresee a giant snail car taking laps around the track :rolleyes:

And more photos of drivers apparently humping the inflatable snail. :yuck:

Gnam
07-17-13, 02:13 PM
Which raises more questions: I see promos of "Planes" by IRL partner Disney all over the place. Story is a about a plane that want to win a great plane race. However, I have seen ZERO promos for the TURBO (which releases earlier than PLANES) which is about a snail that wants to win at Indy.

Sure beats a racing snail, and it could actually pull 3G's. :D

uVifm3c2Y0M

Chief
07-17-13, 11:34 PM
Is SNAILS in 3D? Not....

I'm drunk or feeling especially compensatory tonight. WTF?

Come on, IMS spent many $$$$ to open an office in Hollywood and bought up this idiots idea about a SNAILS accidental dream of winning the Indy 500?

I seriously have a better chance of re-animating Saddam Hussein and launching SCUDS from Iraq in hopes of hitting Los Angeles than these mis-guided jackasses who control AOW hoping....of hitting any target (all 200K of them USA-wide) and promoting the IRL series.

IT'S OVER. IRL 0, FANS 1....and it ain't even close. Still. Always. Ever.

Come on you flacid iZodcar fans, give me some,,,

TravelGal
07-18-13, 10:46 AM
Hate all you want but the MOVIE has gotten universally pretty good reviews. Everything I've read is much like the link stroker supplied. The reviewers liked it in spite of themselves and that's saying something for jaded movie reviewers. Franchitti also said that they asked him what was his biggest pet peeve about racing movies. He said that when the hero is trying to catch the bad guy, he pushes the pedal to the floor. "We ALWAYS have the pedal to the floor," he said (or words to that effect).

SurfaceUnits
07-18-13, 11:11 AM
Hate all you want but the MOVIE has gotten universally pretty good reviews. Everything I've read is much like the link stroker supplied. The reviewers liked it in spite of themselves and that's saying something for jaded movie reviewers. Franchitti also said that they asked him what was his biggest pet peeve about racing movies. He said that when the hero is trying to catch the bad guy, he pushes the pedal to the floor. "We ALWAYS have the pedal to the floor," he said (or words to that effect). See that S car go!!!

Yeah, does he get the Hornish 105% throttle and such?

Ok so the number of snail paludaria might increase. What percentage of kids have an affinity for mollusca?

cameraman
07-18-13, 11:25 AM
They will sell a massive number of toys. There are going to be snails everywhere.

The people who made the movie don't care about IndyCar any more than the people at Pixar were trying to push NASCAR with Cars or WEC with Cars2. They want to sell movie views and tons of toys. They paid IndyCar a licensing fee to use the name of the track, that's the full extent that the producers care about IndyCar.

G.
07-18-13, 07:55 PM
The people who made the movie don't care about IndyCar any more than the people at Pixar were trying to push NASCAR with Cars or WEC with Cars2. They want to sell movie views and tons of toys. They paid IndyCar a licensing fee to use the name of the track, that's the full extent that the producers care about IndyCar.

That's no way to talk about the IRL's Newest Gratest Partner Evar. :shakehead:

:tony:

cameraman
07-19-13, 02:13 AM
Okay I just got home from the Thursday at 8:25PM showing of Turbo in downtown Salt Lake City. Including my son and myself there were 10 people in the theater. They got they IRL crowd correct....

As for the film, it really does absolutely nothing to hype IndyCar. In fact it is not particularly complementary to the track officials and the only driver with a part is the villain. One thing I found amazing was the scene of the qualifying for the race, here it was, the multi-champion Frenchman villain taking the pole position in front of empty stands. That's right the stands were quite literally accurately depicted with maybe a hundred fans watching qualifying. It wasn't an oversight it was drawn that way on purpose. I can only guess that the animators must have watched qualifying at some place like Kentucky when the stands were closed. The IndyCar CEO is depicted as a weak and not particularly bright individual. The Barnhart character isn't particularly nice and the yellow shirts are thugish. If I didn't know better I would say that the guys who wrote the movie were CART fans...

stroker
07-19-13, 09:38 AM
That'll make an interesting comparison to NASCAR's portrayal in "Cars"....

cameraman
07-19-13, 10:06 AM
NASCAR wins that one by miles and miles and miles and miles.

If you look at the Mattel toy line for the movie you will not find one single thing that is IndyCar. The two large vehicles that are available are the taco truck and the street racer with the nitrous system. The "diecasts" are all snails...

http://www.takefiveaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/turbo.jpg

http://www.takefiveaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ring-of-fire.jpg

Chief
07-19-13, 12:24 PM
it's all about Indy. :yuck:

Duroc
07-20-13, 06:31 PM
Oof! (http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/the-conjuring-big-1-with-a-cinemascore-but-every-other-new-film-soft-or-sinking/#more-545448)

Finally, DreamWorks Animations’ original non-sequel Turbo (3,806 theaters) which opened Wednesday will have one of toon company’s worst openings since company started (figuring in inflation, higher ticket prices, and the 3D premium.)

Well maybe they can make it up on the global market.

DagoFast
07-20-13, 07:42 PM
Not only do people not know what indy means, they just don't care. :laugh:

SurfaceUnits
07-20-13, 11:43 PM
Oof! (http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/the-conjuring-big-1-with-a-cinemascore-but-every-other-new-film-soft-or-sinking/#more-545448)

Well maybe they can make it up on the global market.

there will be daily matinees in the Dallara building until the end

Napoleon
07-22-13, 11:39 AM
Turbo bombs - one of the weakest opens for a DreamWork's animation ever:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/movies/turbo-and-ripd-open-to-disappointing-results.html?hpw

Gnam
07-22-13, 12:50 PM
Turbo cost about $135 million...since opening on Wednesday, [it has taken in] about $31.2 million.
Dang. Those darn kids just don't know what Indy means.

cameraman
07-22-13, 01:27 PM
We were expecting it to be a zoo on the second day night of the run. We showed up early to get a decent seat and had our choice of the entire theater. I thought I was in the wrong one at first. We went to the 2D version but yeah the "crowd" was pretty sad.

I still can't figure out how the brain trust in Indy ever thought that the plot of that movie would build interest in the Indy 500. A spoiler here but there is a NASCAR "big one" that blocks the entire track 10 yards from the finish on the last lap (marbles and all). The final race is between Guy dragging a smashed Dallara and a snail with a cracked shell. That is going to build interest in the 500:saywhat:

SurfaceUnits
07-22-13, 03:55 PM
the fanbase has 3 and 4 weeks now days between races so they should have plenty of opportunity to visit a theater

Chief will be by later to report on the new grandstands being added to a track on Jonestown Rd for the expected throng of new gomers

TravelGal
07-22-13, 11:02 PM
We were expecting it to be a zoo on the second day night of the run. We showed up early to get a decent seat and had our choice of the entire theater. I thought I was in the wrong one at first. We went to the 2D version but yeah the "crowd" was pretty sad.

Alas for them (the movie producers, not the IRL fans), Turbo is competing with a still hard charging TG namesake (Despicable Me 2).