PDA

View Full Version : TOney GOrge Killed Pressdog,,,or the luster is gone from Indycar Racing

SurfaceUnits
07-15-13, 12:59 PM
Cue the Circus Music ... One Last Time

I was standing in the middle of the Hy-Vee grocery store near pressdog WORLD headquarters tonight when I thought ..."Geez, I still have to do race notes" and then sighed a sigh that's usually connected with having to get your tires rotated or keeping a dental appointment or spending a weekend with your politically opposite relatives.

And it shocked me ... but not really. Because I knew, standing there by the asparagus, the notes were fini.

When I founded this blog in May 2005 I said "I'll do it as long as it remains fun."

For reasons that have much more to do more with changes in me than in IndyCar -- reasons that would be completely self-indulgent to get into here -- I've reached the point where race notes are more drudgery than delight.

For about a year or so now, cranking out the notes hasn't been noticeably fun and has burned a lot of creative fuel that I could and should have put into my day job.

http://pressdog.typepad.com/dogblog/2013/07/cue-the-circus-music-one-last-time.html

Andrew Longman
07-15-13, 01:23 PM
Yes, you should burn a lot of creative fuel on fun stuff.

It was genious work while it lasted. Thanks. And thanks for taking it so serious that we got serious fun out of it.

SurfaceUnits
07-15-13, 01:33 PM
paddocktalk.com closed its forems and stopped tweeting about TOney's disaster over two years ago

Gnam
07-15-13, 02:04 PM
pressdog's got skillz. Reading his notes was always enjoyable. "Goat Rodeo" and "barring air strike" were some of my favorite phrases.

SurfaceUnits
07-15-13, 02:18 PM
Anne P is not feeling the love or the eggcitement of Indycars anymore either

Chief
07-15-13, 05:10 PM
WHAT? I was told key metrics were up and sponsors were fat and sassy. Indycar told me to screw and that they didn't want my disposable income and they was moving on....well, that meant more motorcycles for me!!! WoOOOT! When collateral damage swallows a casual fan like Bill Zahren you know it SUCXKS. :yuck:

Good move, RIP pDog. Screw the IRL/Indycar and the Hulmans. :thumbup:

indyfan31
07-15-13, 07:09 PM
This was my favorite comment . . . :rofl:

Can I appeal this decision to TGBB and hope for a reversal of this poor decision?

stroker
07-15-13, 08:01 PM
Short version: The .1RL has been so bad for so long it's not worth making fun of anymore.

SurfaceUnits
07-15-13, 10:31 PM
Short version: The .1RL has been so bad for so long it's not worth making fun of anymore.

or, you can only put so much lipstick on a pig

Duroc
07-15-13, 11:33 PM
Jumping into this in 2005 is like showing up to the bonfire after the kegs are drained and most everyone but the hopelessly drunk have moved on...

On the upside he is a pretty good writer, and stuck to the facts, which was probably not seen as a particularly useful at 16th and Speedway. (They need buffet line grovelers to re-guritate whatever crazy b.s. IMS is spinning on any particular day.)

Anyway, here's hoping he finds some passion in motorsports that keeps him writing about it.

Gnam
07-16-13, 02:15 AM
Anyway, here's hoping he finds some passion in motorsports that keeps him writing about it.
+1