PDA

View Full Version : Goodwood 2013 - warning, lots of pics

WickerBill
07-14-13, 02:33 PM
Due to traveling at the exact perfect time for work, I was very fortunate to be able to attend the last day of the Goodwood Festival of Speed today. Below are a couple dozen of the couple hundred pictures I took -- these would be the race car section; I've avoided the fanboy stuff I took in the supercar parking lot. Done my best to strip them down to a reasonable size and shape. Hope you enjoy.

Mr Moderator... please move to Historics if you deem that the place this should be.

Notes:

- I only had a point-and-shoot camera
- I'm terrible at pictures even with the point and shoot
- It was also quite difficult to stay far enough away to get the whole car in the shot without people's heads/limbs in the way

Caterham cockpit

Kimi's cockpit

WickerBill
07-14-13, 02:34 PM

WickerBill

WickerBill

Jackie!

okay, a little fanboy thrown in

I spy a CART decal

WickerBill
07-14-13, 02:35 PM

nrc
07-14-13, 11:48 PM
What a stroke of luck. Very cool stuff. Makes me wonder how long it will be before they ban cigarette livery even on historics.

I probably will move this with a redirect at some point. It gets so lonely in the historic forum.

chop456
07-15-13, 02:02 AM
Sweet.

</jealous>

opinionated ow
07-15-13, 02:33 AM
What a stroke of luck. Very cool stuff. Makes me wonder how long it will be before they ban cigarette livery even on historics.

I probably will move this with a redirect at some point. It gets so lonely in the historic forum.

they blanked out the Benson & Hedges, Peter Jackson and a bunch of others from their 50th anniversary of the Bathurst 1000 introduction. Piss weak.

Andrew Longman
07-15-13, 09:35 AM
I saw the STP Turbo at the CART race at MIS years back. I remember that late in the day a bunch of crew members of the Hollywood team (speaking of tobacco) were all over it -- completely fascinated. It was fun to see their genuine geekdom. They gave Trevor one of their hats. Cool stuff. The Red Bull car (or one exactly like it) was also at the NY auto show this year.

SteveH
07-15-13, 11:01 AM
Very cool pictures. Very cool, indeed.

I saw the STP turbines qualify, both years.

:old:

TravelGal
07-15-13, 02:44 PM
Sweet.

</jealous>

You're not just sayin' that (as they used to say in Marietta, OH).

Paintergeek
07-15-13, 05:24 PM
Very cool. I was told I should come check out your pics. I mightta had my hands on one of those. Maybe even my feet on the pedals and ass in the seat. Maybe. ;)

nissan gtp
07-15-13, 05:57 PM
fantastic ! :thumbup:

this is very high on my "you need to do this" list. How was it in terms of crowds, getting there, etc ?

WickerBill
07-16-13, 02:55 AM
Getting there was very, very good. This is a strange comparison, but I went to Symphony on the Prairie just north of Indianapolis on July 3rd, and sat in traffic on a two lane road for over 90 minutes waiting to park on a grassy field that had PLENTY of room. Same exact situation here -- grassy field, probably 5-7x as many people, and a two-lane road -- traffic flow was a hundred times better. Probably partially because of the traffic controllers, partially because everyone attending was a car person and knows how to drive.

We arrived at approximately 8:45a (it is about an hour from Basingstoke, which is the sleepy little place I'm staying), nearly three hours after the gates opened, and we drove up, parked, walked in (on the sold-out last day, no less) in about 20 minutes.

It was crowded -- local news said 25,000 people but I have no idea if that was for the weekend or just Sunday -- but not so crowded that you couldn't find a spot to watch the track or get close to the displays (obviously). The atmosphere is very, very relaxed, and 98% of the people are what I'd call "British polite"... they will apologize to you if you bump into them.

Bear in mind they're having a very unusual summer here; it's very warm and sunny. It is probably wise to expect rain at your Goodwood adventure, but I honestly don't think that would have dampened the event in any significant way. It was amazing.

Napoleon
07-16-13, 06:45 AM
Bear in mind they're having a very unusual summer here; it's very warm and sunny. It is probably wise to expect rain at your Goodwood adventure, . . .

"Sitting in an english garden waiting for the sun.
If the sun don't come, you get a tan
From standing in the english rain."

TrueBrit
07-16-13, 12:15 PM
How can you tell it's summer in England? The rain is warm...

RTKar
07-16-13, 06:55 PM
What serendipity to catch Goodwood. Thanks for the pics. It's kind of cool to see old Indy cars their and the appreciation for them.

nissan gtp
07-16-13, 09:02 PM
Getting there was very, very good. This is a strange comparison, but I went to Symphony on the Prairie just north of Indianapolis on July 3rd, and sat in traffic on a two lane road for over 90 minutes waiting to park on a grassy field that had PLENTY of room. Same exact situation here -- grassy field, probably 5-7x as many people, and a two-lane road -- traffic flow was a hundred times better. Probably partially because of the traffic controllers, partially because everyone attending was a car person and knows how to drive.

We arrived at approximately 8:45a (it is about an hour from Basingstoke, which is the sleepy little place I'm staying), nearly three hours after the gates opened, and we drove up, parked, walked in (on the sold-out last day, no less) in about 20 minutes.

It was crowded -- local news said 25,000 people but I have no idea if that was for the weekend or just Sunday -- but not so crowded that you couldn't find a spot to watch the track or get close to the displays (obviously). The atmosphere is very, very relaxed, and 98% of the people are what I'd call "British polite"... they will apologize to you if you bump into them.

Bear in mind they're having a very unusual summer here; it's very warm and sunny. It is probably wise to expect rain at your Goodwood adventure, but I honestly don't think that would have dampened the event in any significant way. It was amazing.

thanks for the info, now I'm really anxious to go !