PDA

View Full Version : "The luster is gone from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway"

Chief
07-11-13, 01:38 PM
Oh my....but they saved the sport. And killed CART, twice. :confused:

What happened?

One racing industry executive called the IMS’ condition “horrendous.”

“The luster is gone from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway,” said former race car driver Derek Daly

The luster is gone from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (http://www.ibj.com/the-score-2013-07-10-new-speedway-president-asked-to-save-our-track/PARAMS/post/42365)

Napoleon
07-11-13, 01:51 PM
All that article reads like one long lobbying effort for (even more) corporate welfare for IMS.

Elmo T
07-11-13, 02:20 PM
The race (races?) aside - My only visit there was the 2001 USGP. I thought it was a crap house then. I can't imagine it is any better now.

We had Paddock Penthouse seats and the walk out across the tiny and rusted walkway and down the stairs was worse than nearly any temporary construction sites I've seen - and those were temporary uses. This was permanent. :saywhat:

Bathrooms were awful - I've seen better outhouses in PA state parks. Seriously.

Any minor league baseball stadium will put that place to shame.

If IMS is a 3/10, what is a 1?

chop456
07-12-13, 01:57 AM
Hollowed ground? Starched Earth? Take your pick.

Well done, :tony: .

Andrew Longman
07-13-13, 03:55 PM
I stopped in on the museum last year when in Indy for business. I'd never been to IMS and while it seemed clean and well maintained it just seemed tired and dated. Compared to Watkins Glen where every time I'm there ISC has built or updated something else, IMS feels like it either stuck in a time warp or long overdue for an update.

Ironic that at one time, with the BY400, TG had plenty of money to upgrade the place but he thought his greatest strategic threat was CART and spent it all to defeat them. Instead his greatest threat were ever increasing expectations by fans and sponsors for first class facilities and amenities -- expectations set by the NFL, NHL, MLB etc. Also ironic that if he had adopted a more symbiotic relationship with CART he likely would have his boat rise to stratospheric proportions in the CART tide.

stroker
07-13-13, 05:47 PM
He's quoting Dipsicle? <facepalm>

That article is going to leave a mark.

TravelGal
07-13-13, 06:37 PM
. Also ironic that if he had adopted a more symbiotic relationship with CART he likely would have his boat rise to stratospheric proportions in the CART tide.

There's a point people don't make often enough.

Duroc
07-15-13, 12:52 PM
So that $100 million in tax giveaways is never going to get spent on the track, right?. The usual suspects will grift what they can until the whole mess gets liquidated.