PDA

View Full Version : Spy shots

nrc
07-08-13, 03:05 PM
Wow. The new MINI is... something else. :eek:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Eg7HvfEo3Pc/UdGpczMQ_fI/AAAAAAANSUg/UvA6JV9s5TQ/s645/2014-Mini-Cooper-S-2Carscoops.jpg
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-mini-cooper-spy-shots/#photo-6003067/

I can only hope that it looks better in person because these spy shots look like a disaster. Did they farm the styling out to a Chinese company this time around? Were they concerned about losing the toy car look market to Fiat?

RaceGrrl
07-08-13, 03:25 PM
Bleh :yuck:

stroker
07-08-13, 03:52 PM
Your new Delta Tau Chi name is "Flounder"....

Andrew Longman
07-08-13, 05:44 PM
I have nothing to add. Flounder and bleh pretty much sez it.

Trevor has a theory that BMW has lost it's mind. They have a bazillions models and can't seem to leave well enough alone. He thinks they need one 1, 3, 5 and 7 series (maybe 2) and 1-2 minis. That's it. But no.

I have to admit it will be hard to perpetuate and extend the mini brand. After a time the nostalgic novelty wears out.

Gnam
07-08-13, 05:49 PM
Your new Delta Tau Chi name is "Flounder"....
:laugh:

RaceGrrl
07-08-13, 09:54 PM
OMG, it totally looks like Flounder. :gomer:

nissan gtp
07-08-13, 09:57 PM
"That new MINI is just lovely"
\

indyfan31
07-09-13, 10:06 AM
OK, somebody fill me in please. How is the new one any uglier than the old one? :confused:

http://images.passionperformance.ca/photos/2/2/22898_2011_mini_Cooper.jpg

Gnam
07-09-13, 12:33 PM
hoodscoop
headlights
grill
rear spoiler

WickerBill
07-09-13, 12:39 PM
Confession: all of the "new Minis" have always looked like they had a terribly sad face -- sort of the anti-Mazda face. The new one sort of takes it to a new level -- this one looks like it is currently witnessing something horrific.

stroker
07-09-13, 12:59 PM
I always thought they looked kind of like a wheeled version of ED-209...

cameraman
07-09-13, 01:32 PM
I'm hoping it is just the yellow color/lighting/camera angle...

nrc
07-09-13, 11:50 PM
OK, somebody fill me in please. How is the new one any uglier than the old one? :confused:

I actually think the old one is handsome. It captures the classic MINI look while still being contemporary.

Now the latest iterations have that generation have gone a bit ugly as well. They've cluttered up the lower grill area with extra geegaws - a warning of things to come, I suppose.

I'm hoping that part of the problem with these spy shots is just the high angle. The biggest problem is the amount of surface excitement they've added. Obviously they've felt the need to add a headlight gimmick like everyone else but the way they've executed it with a white surround just emphasizes the fish-eyed look.

Then there's the grill. I'm holding out hope that this is some kind of prank they're pulling on spy photographers. They've already got the fish-eye look going but they thought it was a good idea to open the mouth wider and put a broad chrome surround around it? Did someone suggest they could make a it look a little less fishy by ripping the bumper off of a carnival bumper car and pasting it across the middle of the grill like some kind of dental appliance for a gold fish?

The lower grill adds to the mess - just way too much going on. There's much more. The proportions look all wrong (again, hopefully the angle), details that were clean before are now over blown. It's baffling how a company that wants to sell their product as a premium small car would turn out something that looks like a Daewoo - even if it is a bad angle. :eek: