PDA

View Full Version : New forum feedback

nrc
07-07-13, 04:30 AM
Please share your thoughts on the new forum. Let us know things that you do or don't like as well as anything that isn't working correctly.

WickerBill
07-07-13, 07:16 AM
Please share your thoughts on the new forum. Let us know things that you do or don't like as well as anything that isn't working correctly.

It told me my password was 2710 days old and made me change it. Boo.

nrc
07-07-13, 07:31 AM
It told me my password was 2710 days old and made me change it. Boo.

Evidently that's default for the admin group. Fixed.

WickerBill
07-07-13, 07:50 AM
Is there a toggle somewhere to switch between full and mobile sites? I had to go full to change password and couldn't figure out how to go back. Had to clear cookies.

TravelGal
07-07-13, 11:49 AM
It's purtier that's for sure. This message box is enormous on my screen. Would love to know whether the average word count per post increases. I see the "autosave" feature, which is always good (phones ring, dogs bark, people interrupt) but can't imagine how to take advantage of it. Also, for the small minded, that big search box resides right where the password box used to be. It will take, oh, a day or two to stop seeing it and thinking I need to sign in.

The only thing I wish had changed is having the link to change forums at the top instead of only at the bottom. It doesn't show on my screen so I have to move down. A mere bagatelle but it would speed up navigation. I clicked on "other forums" and see it is only the forums within this category. When I came back to this box, the text was not saved. Therefore the world is round and I'm wondering what the auto-save feature actually does. Is it just wasting bandwidth?

I'll keep goofing, er looking, around during the day. So far, :thumbup: for all your hard work.

Per further goofing, I clicked on "Forum" and see it works well enough to navigate from the top. Merci.

SteveH
07-07-13, 12:12 PM
Is there a link on each thread to jump to the first unread?

stroker
07-07-13, 02:18 PM
Any chance of changing the font on the

"Home>Other Forums>Feedback>New Forum feedback"

indicator from Green text to White text and making it Bold or possibly increasing the size? I find it hard to see as compared to the

"New Posts Private Messages FAQ Calendar Community Forum Actions Quick Links"

bar.

WickerBill
07-07-13, 03:36 PM
Every time I log in, I get this:

Invalid Redirect URL (http://offcamber.net/forums/)

...but then I click on the "Forum" link and I'm logged in.

devilmaster
07-07-13, 04:04 PM
i got the same as wb, except it was test.offcamber.net

nrc
07-07-13, 05:00 PM
Is there a toggle somewhere to switch between full and mobile sites? I had to go full to change password and couldn't figure out how to go back. Had to clear cookies.

Nothing quicker than the style drop down menu at the bottom. I'll see if I can add a "Mobile" link down at the bottom right that goes straight to it.

nrc
07-07-13, 05:18 PM
It's purtier that's for sure. This message box is enormous on my screen. Would love to know whether the average word count per post increases. I see the "autosave" feature, which is always good (phones ring, dogs bark, people interrupt) but can't imagine how to take advantage of it. Also, for the small minded, that big search box resides right where the password box used to be. It will take, oh, a day or two to stop seeing it and thinking I need to sign in.

I haven't done a lot of testing on when "autosave" works and doesn't but just now I clicked back to the main forum in the middle of composing this message. Then I came back and hit reply again the editor had a "restore autosaved content" button at the bottom left, which worked as expected. Nice.

Thanks for your feedback. I wasn't happy with relocation of the Search and login boxes on the new version but I'm trying to avoid major layout changes because they make updates really challenging.

nrc
07-07-13, 05:23 PM

Yes, they still appear to the left of the thread title when there are new posts. I think it has just cleared all the "last read" information because of the forum migration. I'll check to see if we're set to use the same tracking mechanism for "last read" as before.

WickerBill
07-07-13, 08:14 PM
Hey Boss, the forum doesn't remember me between visits...

Dvdb
07-07-13, 10:38 PM
It blows. Same problems that everyone else has.....doesn't remember you....invalid bs....first unread.....can we go back......to 7th gear?

TravelGal
07-07-13, 10:53 PM
Every time I log in, I get this:

...but then I click on the "Forum" link and I'm logged in.

vBulletin Message

Yes, me too. I can see TravelGal at the top so I know I'm logged in but it get that message.

TravelGal
07-07-13, 11:03 PM
If I'm in "Forum" (upper left), I can't get to quick navigation. That's annoying so I'll probably never use forum.

Biggest headache for me is, when using the quick navigation, what comes up are the settings, PM, subscriptions, which are (Sorry) basically fluff, and the actually forum names are too far down the slide bar (too tired to remember what it's called) so I have to click on it to move it to get to the Community, Feedback, etc.

I hope that clear. If not, PM me. LOL LOL

nrc
07-08-13, 12:04 AM
Ok, I think I found the underlying issue with both the redirect errors and the last read tracking. It's related to how strictly the forum enforces what domain you use (offcamber.net or www.offcamber.net). Before it didn't care. In the new version is only accepts one domain by default. There are a couple of different settings related to this and I don't want to change too much at once.

I was able to reproduce the redirect error. The change I made appeared to correct that issue. If you still encounter this after you've closed and restarted your browser let me know.

Last read and session persistence I still need to test. Thanks for your patience.

nrc
07-08-13, 12:45 AM
If I'm in "Forum" (upper left), I can get to quick navigation. That's annoying so I'll probably never use forum.

Biggest headache for me is, when using the quick navigation, what comes up are the settings, PM, subscriptions, which are (Sorry) basically fluff, and the actually forum names are too far down the slide bar (too tired to remember what it's called) so I have to click on it to move it to get to the Community, Feedback, etc.

I hope that clear. If not, PM me. LOL LOL

I understand what you're saying but I'm not clear on how navigation has changed to make this more cumbersome than before. Looking at the old forum it had those same items in the quick Navigation drop down. Is there a navigation link missing that was there before?

TravelGal
07-08-13, 01:50 AM
I understand what you're saying but I'm not clear on how navigation has changed to make this more cumbersome than before. Looking at the old forum it had those same items in the quick Navigation drop down. Is there a navigation link missing that was there before?

Could be a personal problem. ;) Before, what showed when I opened the quick navigation was all the forums (fora?). I never even knew the settings, PM, etc., were there. Now I can see them and only half the forum names. I have to click down or drag down before I can see all the ones at the bottom of the list. An extra click. An extra nanosecond. A pain. Is it me or is it Memorex? Or, is it something different?

nrc
07-08-13, 02:01 AM
Could be a personal problem. ;) Before, what showed when I opened the quick navigation was all the forums (fora?). I never even knew the settings, PM, etc., were there. Now I can see them and only half the forum names. I have to click down or drag down before I can see all the ones at the bottom of the list. An extra click. An extra nanosecond. A pain. Is it me or is it Memorex? Or, is it something different?

Ok, I see the difference now. The old menu was styled so that all the forums fit. I'll tinker around and see if there's an option to style it so that it doesn't require scrolling.

SteveH
07-08-13, 08:48 AM
Richard, when I click What's New, postings that I've already looked at reappear. I was up to date on all forum postings last night. But this morning it shows posting since mid-afternoon and forward. The old forum just showed those postings I had not yet viewed.

Elmo T
07-08-13, 09:03 AM
Not a problem, but I see the member number has dropped to 965. New system was able to flush out extraneous memberships?

nrc
07-08-13, 11:56 AM
Richard, when I click What's New, postings that I've already looked at reappear. I was up to date on all forum postings last night. But this morning it shows posting since mid-afternoon and forward. The old forum just showed those postings I had not yet viewed.

Right now the "What's New" tab actually points to what they call the "activity stream" which is all recent activity, not limited to unread posts.

nrc
07-08-13, 11:59 AM
Not a problem, but I see the member number has dropped to 965. New system was able to flush out extraneous memberships?

When I moved the forum I cleaned up accounts that were signed up but never completed the registration process or logged in again.

TravelGal
07-08-13, 12:53 PM
When I moved the forum I cleaned up accounts that were signed up but never completed the registration process or logged in again.

Good. We don't wanna be with no riffraff computer bots. :)

TravelGal
07-08-13, 07:22 PM
Being the queen of picky, I'll also comment that whenever some edits their post (who me?) there is an inordinate amount of space between the last line of the post and the "edited" line. May matter, may not, as far as bandwidth, readability, etc. go but it does make the post a lot longer.

nrc
07-08-13, 11:20 PM
Being the queen of picky, I'll also comment that whenever some edits their post (who me?) there is an inordinate amount of space between the last line of the post and the "edited" line. May matter, may not, as far as bandwidth, readability, etc. go but it does make the post a lot longer.

Yes, that's annoying. I'm not sure if the editor is doing it or the stylesheet. Something else to look into.

trish
07-09-13, 02:09 AM
The WYSIWYG editor is a nice addition. At least I think it's new.

nissan gtp
07-09-13, 05:27 PM
I like it, good job! I'd prefer a non-black background, maybe dark gray. It's just too contrast-y for me.

nrc
07-10-13, 12:16 AM
I like it, good job! I'd prefer a non-black background, maybe dark gray. It's just too contrast-y for me.

The background has always been black (how much more black could it be?) so I don't think I want to change that color scheme. One thing that changed was that I felt in the new style the content got pretty hard to read when it's displayed in really wide browser windows. To alleviate that I limited the content area to a maximum width in the middle. So now if you have a really wide browser window you have a larger black border on the sides.

nissan gtp
07-10-13, 05:51 PM
The background has always been black (how much more black could it be?) so I don't think I want to change that color scheme. One thing that changed was that I felt in the new style the content got pretty hard to read when it's displayed in really wide browser windows. To alleviate that I limited the content area to a maximum width in the middle. So now if you have a really wide browser window you have a larger black border on the sides.

understood, just an observation. maybe one day an alternate style ?

regardless, this is one of the best VB4 setups I've seen. BTW, sorry I missed you at natty-fest.

dando
07-13-13, 08:01 AM
Wow. Lots of nifty shiznit. My only concern is how low it will take NJtard to adjust to the new toys. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

dando
07-13-13, 08:05 AM

The breadcrumb is difficult to see unless I max out my display on my MBP. Granted my eyes aren't the best these days, but it lacks contrast, IMO.

I'll have to compulsively post some more to comment further, but thanks for the update. Lots and lots of goodies I've wanted for awhile.

-Kevin

nrc
07-13-13, 11:39 AM
Yes, better breadcrumb visibility is on the "To Do" list.

nrc
07-15-13, 03:14 AM
I noticed a couple of other things that didn't come over. I just copied over user profile entries (Location, Interests, etc) so those are fixed.

User profile pictures and photo albums didn't come over. If you had a photo album and you'd like to recover the contents let me know and I'll assist.

Profile pictures in the old version were in an area of the profile that accepted a pretty large image. Now they're jammed into a little box and your old picture may or may not work there. Again, if you need a picture retrieved let me know.

TravelGal
07-21-13, 04:34 PM
PUL_EEZE fix the dropdown menu so it all fits at one glance in the same box. Thank you. Edit: either that or change it so that we can click the same forum (community, feedback, etc,) and go back to that forum instead of going to the list, which then must be moved so that we can get to the forum at the bottom that we want.

nrc
07-22-13, 12:55 PM
I found a mod that I think will take care of the problem. I really didn't entirely understand the issue until I started looking into it and found a lot of other complaints about this change to vB4.

TravelGal
07-22-13, 09:03 PM
I found a mod that I think will take care of the problem. I really didn't entirely understand the issue until I started looking into it and found a lot of other complaints about this change to vB4.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Edit: So I see we can have at least 8 smilies now. I'll experiment further later. LOL!

nrc
07-24-13, 11:07 AM
The "Go" button next to the Quicknav drop down at the bottom will now take you back to the forum listing for the current forum.

TravelGal
07-24-13, 09:11 PM
The "Go" button next to the Quicknav drop down at the bottom will now take you back to the forum listing for the current forum.

Excellent. That works for reading several threads in one forum. It also works because the "Forum" button is at the top so it's easy to switch between them. A thousand thanks, as the Swedes say, in Swedish of course. :D

nrc
07-29-13, 02:02 AM

I've added a "Mobile" tab at the top that will take you to the mobile site. The mobile site has a "Full Site" link near the bottom.

The breadcrumb is difficult to see unless I max out my display on my MBP. Granted my eyes aren't the best these days, but it lacks contrast, IMO.

Breadcrumbs and the "next/prev thread" links are now gray instead of green.

Andrew Longman
07-29-13, 11:40 AM
PUL_EEZE fix the dropdown menu so it all fits at one glance in the same box. Thank you. Edit: either that or change it so that we can click the same forum (community, feedback, etc,) and go back to that forum instead of going to the list, which then must be moved so that we can get to the forum at the bottom that we want.ditto

Andrew Longman
07-29-13, 11:43 AM
Wow. Lots of nifty shiznit. My only concern is how low it will take NJtard to adjust to the new toys. :gomer: :p

-Kevini will ever adjust to them. If past is prologue, I will never find them in the first place.

TravelGal
07-29-13, 09:19 PM
i will ever adjust to them. If past is prologue, I will never find them in the first place.

I think I'm channeling Andrew. I sort of thought the same things. New things? Did I ever learn the old things?

What I noticed over the weekend is that the sent PM's do not automatically save in the sent folder. I have to check the box. That's new. Is there a way to make that the default or do I actually have to remember to do it each time?

G.
07-30-13, 12:08 AM
I think I'm channeling Andrew. I sort of thought the same things. New things? Did I ever learn the old things?

What I noticed over the weekend is that the sent PM's do not automatically save in the sent folder. I have to check the box. That's new. Is there a way to make that the default or do I actually have to remember to do it each time?

Hey! We got a little bit more room for PMs! Awesome!

nrc
07-30-13, 12:18 AM
Sorry, the option to save sent messages didn't come over in the migration. To set it to save sent message by default go to "Settings" (at the top right) and the "General Settings" (on the left). Down near the bottom there's an option to save sent messages by default.

TravelGal
07-30-13, 01:49 AM
Sorry, the option to save sent messages didn't come over in the migration. To set it to save sent message by default go to "Settings" (at the top right) and the "General Settings" (on the left). Down near the bottom there's an option to save sent messages by default.

I'm glad I asked. I never click anything that doesn't seem to be directly related to the basics so now I've explored all sorts of things. AND made that change (among others). :thumbup:

Edit: And I agree with G. It's nice to have the extra room for PM's. Thanks!

WickerBill
07-30-13, 10:11 AM
I'm really really glad it doesn't save sent messages by default anymore. To each his/her own I suppose.

indyfan31
07-30-13, 10:31 AM
Found it! It is in fact just to the left of the Thread Tools link. However, it's the same green color as the bar so it's invisible until you hover over it, then it appears in red.

nrc
07-30-13, 11:23 AM
Found it! It is in fact just to the left of the Thread Tools link. However, it's the same green color as the bar so it's invisible until you hover over it, then it appears in red.

Ah! You're talking about in the view of the thread. I thought you were talking about in the list of threads. I'll see if I can switch that over to white.

Andrew Longman
07-30-13, 01:55 PM
I'm glad I asked. I never click anything that doesn't seem to be directly related to the basics so now I've explored all sorts of things. AND made that change (among others). :thumbup:

Edit: And I agree with G. It's nice to have the extra room for PM's. Thanks!Don't you wish we had more "settings" in our lives? The ability to automatically filter in and out crap is decidedly an advanced life skill.

G.
07-30-13, 02:16 PM
Don't you wish we had more "settings" in our lives? The ability to automatically filter in and out crap is decidedly an advanced life skill.

You are unable to view the post made by "Andrew Longman", since you have this user set to Ignore.

:D:p

Andrew Longman
07-30-13, 03:18 PM
You are unable to view the post made by "Andrew Longman", since you have this user set to Ignore.

:D:pwell when the power stops flowing and there is no Internet I will still know how to talk to an actual human being :gomer:

cameraman
07-30-13, 03:59 PM
well when the power stops flowing and there is no Internet I will still know how to talk to an actual human being :gomer:

But what about the zombies?

stroker
08-03-13, 10:15 PM
Any chance of changing the font on the

"Home>Other Forums>Feedback>New Forum feedback"

indicator from Green text to White text and making it Bold or possibly increasing the size? I find it hard to see as compared to the

"New Posts Private Messages FAQ Calendar Community Forum Actions Quick Links"

bar.

Thanks for the change, Boss. :thumbup:

racermike
08-05-13, 11:54 PM
Forum very hard to read now compared to vbulletin format ... IMHO

nrc
08-06-13, 05:47 PM
Forum very hard to read now compared to vbulletin format ... IMHO

Harder than the previous version of OC or harder than other vBulletin forums? Can you identify anything in particular that gives you that feeling?

Insomniac
08-14-13, 12:06 PM
So I had no clue what the navigation drop down people kept mentioning was. I would look and the only drop down I see is in the bottom left for choosing the style. Now I think I stumbled onto what it is. Is it the navigation pop up in the bottom right? If so, here is how to fix it.

Looks like a PHP script is combining multiple CSS files together.

This "stylesheet":

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/css.php?styleid=4&langid=1&d=1375073471&td=ltr&sheet=bbcode.css,editor.css,popupmenu.css,reset-fonts.css,vbulletin.css,vbulletin-chrome.css,vbulletin-formcontrols.css,

In that, it is line 1648.

Change:

.navpopupbody {
width:auto;
max-height:350px;
text-align:left;
*overflow:auto;
overflow-y:scroll;
left:auto;
right:0;
}

to:

.navpopupbody {
width:auto;
max-height:550px;
text-align:left;
*overflow:auto;
overflow-y:auto;
left:auto;
right:0;
}

My guess the actual file is popupmenu.css, but I'm not certain. The change increases the maximum height to accommodate the current list (probably will allow for a couple more items and sets the up/down scroll to auto to hide it when it isn't needed.

*Warranty is as-is. ;) Seemed like the top menus are unaffected.

nrc
08-14-13, 04:14 PM
My guess the actual file is popupmenu.css, but I'm not certain. The change increases the maximum height to accommodate the current list (probably will allow for a couple more items and sets the up/down scroll to auto to hide it when it isn't needed.

*Warranty is as-is. ;) Seemed like the top menus are unaffected.

Many thanks! I hadn't had time to look for the style for that one. There's a style sheet called "additional.css" that is always munged in there last that I should be able to dump that into.

Insomniac
08-14-13, 07:36 PM
Many thanks! I hadn't had time to look for the style for that one. There's a style sheet called "additional.css" that is always munged in there last that I should be able to dump that into.

Sure thing, I hope it works/helps.

Insomniac
08-27-13, 03:09 PM
Can you add a strikethrough tag for ?

TravelGal
09-01-13, 01:35 PM
Just so you know, it is gratefully noted that the menu on the lower right now pops up all choices. That is, what I was bitchin' about from Day One was fixed a while back. Thank you, thank you thank you. Now I can unlearn the workaround. :D

BarillaGirl
09-08-13, 11:45 PM
I haven't been on for months, so the new look was a shock. I don't use a lot of the functions, but I just wanted to say thanks for making sure the old private messages stayed with our accounts. I didn't have any left from pchall, but it's nice to still have the ones from Cam. :thumbup: