PDA

View Full Version : cat urine + carpet...

stroker
06-24-13, 07:17 PM
Use a black light to find it, clean the carpet then pull it up and seal the concrete and replace the pad, right?

gotta get rid of the cat, too, of course.... :(

WickerBill
06-24-13, 07:24 PM
Use Nature's Miracle for the carpet and the pad and you could be okay (and a lot less poor). Drench the area.

Unless the area is "all over the dang place", then you should replace pad and carpet after sealing the concrete.

Tifosi24
06-24-13, 08:59 PM
You could try WB's suggestion at first if it isn't too expensive. However, we had to deal with this situation when we moved into our house (of course the cat always used the litter box :rolleyes:), and, in my opinion, there really is no solving this issue beyond ripping everything out. Our solution was ripping the old carpet and pad out. Once that is done, seal the floor with a shellac based primer, I believe either Zinsser and Kilz make one. Just be careful with this stuff because it is really runny and make sure that the room is well ventilated. We did at least two coats with the primer, and then had carpet put in a few days later. I would also double check that the cat didn't get anything on the walls.

Indy
06-25-13, 12:46 AM
I am extremely allergic to cats, so much so that if I enter a house where a cat has lived, I am bothered immediately. The interesting thing is how many houses I have looked at in the past and how many times I have been told that the people who live/lived there have no pets when they obviously did. I would guess that over the years realtors have lied to me more than 50% of the time.

Rex Karz
06-25-13, 08:11 AM
Rather than rip up the carpeting and padding, try putting activated charcoal on the stinky area. Then let it sit for several days, if not a week. We've tried this a couple of times and while I can't say it works 100%, it does improve things.

We had a 21-year-old cat who in his final few weeks had a lot of difficulty finding his way to the litter box. Though the cat, Groucho, has now been gone almost 5 years, we think we've now found and treated the last of the spots.