PDA

View Full Version : New WiFi standard approved

dando
06-20-13, 02:10 PM
802.11ac for speeds up to 1.3GB (good luck with achieving that). Amazing that they managed to approve this so quickly since n took eons to be approved. :saywhat:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/19/technology/mobile/wifi-speeds/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

-Kevin

cameraman
06-20-13, 02:17 PM
Apple is already moving to that spec. At least it will be in the new Mac pro and already available in the new Airport Extreme, Time Capsules & MacBook Airs.

Not yet in the MacBook Pros, iMacs, Mac Pro, Minis or AppleTV.

WickerBill
06-20-13, 03:40 PM
I thought ac had been around for a year or so

dando
06-20-13, 04:34 PM
I thought ac had been around for a year or so

May have been. n was around for 5-6 YEARS before the final spec was approved. In the meantime, the mfgs sold their version of n routers with the promise to provide firmware updates, many of which didn't go so well.

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-20-13, 04:56 PM
802.11ac for speeds up to 1.3GB (good luck with achieving that). Amazing that they managed to approve this so quickly since n took eons to be approved. :saywhat:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/19/technology/mobile/wifi-speeds/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

-Kevin

It's still in draft status. These typically stay that way for a while and manufacturers still release hardware before it goes final.

dando
06-20-13, 05:27 PM
It's still in draft status. These typically stay that way for a while and manufacturers still release hardware before it goes final.

If it's still draft (I thought it was finalized), if not, that will make 10 years.

802.11n[edit]
Main article: IEEE 802.11n-2009
802.11n is an amendment which improves upon the previous 802.11 standards by adding multiple-input multiple-output antennas (MIMO). 802.11n operates on both the 2.4 GHz and the lesser used 5 GHz bands. It operates at a maximum net data rate from 54 Mbit/s to 600 Mbit/s. The IEEE has approved the amendment and it was published in October 2009.[14][15] Prior to the final ratification, enterprises were already migrating to 802.11n networks based on the Wi-Fi Alliance's certification of products conforming to a 2007 draft of the 802.11n proposal.

I first started looking @ n routers/cards when we bought this $$$ pit in 8/02. I had to replace a bulky b router that had served well for ~5 years (might have been due more to the increased acreage and lack of range. Anyway, I couldn't bite on n due to the proprietary versions being rolled out then.

In the meantime, ad is in development, and supposed to hit the streets in '14. Of so, why move forward with ac? :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-21-13, 08:21 AM
In the meantime, ad is in development, and supposed to hit the streets in '14. Of so, why move forward with ac? :saywhat:

-Kevin

We need something in the interim. :) They are usually working on 2-3 standards at any time. I think the draft-n mess will have these guys working a lot better. At that time, they were tripping over each other to get more speed (remember Super G?) so they were working to get their version of draft-n out ASAP.

G.
06-21-13, 10:49 PM
I was just looking at some SW upgrades for test equipment @ the 802.11ac spec...

I don't wanna read it right now, but will ac have hand-off capability?

I'd be an early adopter for that...

gjc2
06-22-13, 07:55 AM
How does the new standard effect my current stuff, specifically my iPhone 4S and my iPad 2?

WickerBill
06-22-13, 08:00 AM
It doesn't affect your stuff at all -- no problems and also no benefits. At least not directly.

dando
06-22-13, 08:08 AM
How does the new standard effect my current stuff, specifically my iPhone 4S and my iPad 2?

There should be no impact. Once ac is installed to broadcast WiFi signals, there should be backwards compatibility to support a, b, g and n cards/chips. Keep in mind it will take years for existing WiFi networks to convert to the new standard, as it will likely require new hardware. It took ~5 years for draft-n to make it into the mainstream consumer channels for most devices. This will be like the migration of corporations from Windows XP to Windows 7...a decade after XP was released, many corps are just now (or w/in the past year or two) converting to Windows 7, which is mainly being driven by MSFT's plans to orphan support for XP in the near future. I may be in a rocking chair by the time Windows 8 makes its presence on corp. desktops (assuming desktops/laptops still exist by then).

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-22-13, 09:19 AM
There should be no impact. Once ac is installed to broadcast WiFi signals, there should be backwards compatibility to support a, b, g and n cards/chips. Keep in mind it will take years for existing WiFi networks to convert to the new standard, as it will likely require new hardware. It took ~5 years for draft-n to make it into the mainstream consumer channels for most devices. This will be like the migration of corporations from Windows XP to Windows 7...a decade after XP was released, many corps are just now (or w/in the past year or two) converting to Windows 7, which is mainly being driven by MSFT's plans to orphan support for XP in the near future. I may be in a rocking chair by the time Windows 8 makes its presence on corp. desktops (assuming desktops/laptops still exist by then).

-Kevin

I think the corporate world may skip 8 altogether. It's a bit of a curse to MSFT to 1. Make a stable OS and 2. Make new versions with substantial change. The investment is so high when what you have "works".

On ac, like n, if you have old devices, make sure you dedicate one antenna/channel to n so it doesn't drag down your whole network.

dando
06-22-13, 10:34 PM
I think the corporate world may skip 8 altogether. It's a bit of a curse to MSFT to 1. Make a stable OS and 2. Make new versions with substantial change. The investment is so high when what you have "works".

I concur with that, and the thought crossed my mind when I played with it on both a Surface Pro and Laptop. There's just nothing compelling for business use other than supposed security and stability (give the Chinese time to crack that shizzle). In fact, there is more that may make it less appealing due to the social networking features.

BTW, did you see the reports that M$FT is sitting on 4 million Surface units that they are now offering to schools (not teachers or students) @ > a 50% discount. That's 4 million of 5 million units that M$FT had produced.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57589824-75/microsoft-targets-schools-with-surface-rt-discount/

It's no wonder Windows chief Sinofsky 'stepped down' suddenly, and shows just how out of touch Balmer really is. Can you say Microsoft Bob? :laugh:

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-23-13, 08:37 AM
I concur with that, and the thought crossed my mind when I played with it on both a Surface Pro and Laptop. There's just nothing compelling for business use other than supposed security and stability (give the Chinese time to crack that shizzle). In fact, there is more that may make it less appealing due to the social networking features.

BTW, did you see the reports that M$FT is sitting on 4 million Surface units that they are now offering to schools (not teachers or students) @ > a 50% discount. That's 4 million of 5 million units that M$FT had produced.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57589824-75/microsoft-targets-schools-with-surface-rt-discount/

It's no wonder Windows chief Sinofsky 'stepped down' suddenly, and shows just how out of touch Balmer really is. Can you say Microsoft Bob? :laugh:

-Kevin

They certainly over-manufactured. It shows all the uproar from OEMs was unwarranted. I think they may've at least set a bar for OEMs. What MSFT didn't learn from Android was the only way to compete with Apple is on price, not quality. Oddly, it's something they've known from the PC business. They needed a touch OS though, so I really believe what they're doing is the right direction (touch OS/UI, ARM, Office (kinda) for iPad, etc.).