PDA

View Full Version : Severe Weather

Tifosi24
06-12-13, 03:19 PM
The Storm Prediction Center has issued a rare high risk of severe weather advisory for a large portion of the Midwest including Chicago, Indiana, and Ohio. For those in the area, stay safe and keep your eyes on the skies.

dando
06-12-13, 04:11 PM
The Storm Prediction Center has issued a rare high risk of severe weather advisory for a large portion of the Midwest including Chicago, Indiana, and Ohio. For those in the area, stay safe and keep your eyes on the skies.

It extends from far eastern Iowa, far southern Wisky, N Illinois, N Indyana, and our version of tornado alley, Van Wert and Defiance in oHIo. TWC has been upping the TORCON numbers all day. They have been mentioning Derecho (land hurricane) for this system. The one we experienced last year lasted for 600 miles (basically Iowa to DC). Folks w/o power for much of two weeks with temps soaring to 100 over the 4th. I hope history does not repeat itself. So far the radar is benign, but Minnie had a thorm complex sitting over it for a couple of hours just crawling.

Stay safe, and if isn't tied down, do it.

-Kevin

WickerBill
06-12-13, 07:07 PM
Here's hoping the only damage is at 16th and Georgetown, Indianapolis.

NismoZ
06-12-13, 07:30 PM
Not the museum, though!:saywhat:

dando
06-12-13, 07:49 PM
The trains are loading up and leaving the stations in Wisky and Illinois. Two tornado warnings in north central oHIo already, and it's just beginning. TWC mentioned 'one of the Derecho events tonight'. Joy. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Elmo T
06-12-13, 09:39 PM
Could not have asked for a nicer evening here. Calm before the storms. :thumdown:

dando
06-12-13, 09:57 PM
Could not have asked for a nicer evening here. Calm before the storms. :thumdown:

@ least you get to watch the Cup Finals w/o local wx yahoo doing play-by-play. :saywhat: There's a freight train of thorms headed right down I-80 from N IN. Based on the models I saw earlier, I think they expected more of a NW to SE pivot, which hasn't happened. Yet. Now if I could just get my phone to quit alerting me to warnings that are no where near me or this area code even. :irked:

Poor bastards two counties north of us are getting raked by hail and tornado warnings. I think we're up to 7 or 8 now. :(

-Kevin

dando
06-13-13, 08:37 AM
It's alive!

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-130612-chicago-lightning-10p.photoblog900.jpg

;)

Mostly a non-event hear. Lots of scattered damaged. Report about a building being demolished next to the Neil Armstrong Airport in Wapakoneta. Barn blown into a house in a nearby county. At least a dozen tornado warnings issued. ~2am when the line had mostly passed us, the southern edge went through Xenia and magically developed a hail core. I don't know what it is about Xenia, but if it didn't have bad luck, it wouldn't have any luck @ all. From the Xenia, OH Wiki:

Tornadoes[edit]
Xenia has a history of severe storm activity. According to local legend, the area was referred to by Shawnee Indians as "the place of the devil wind" or "the land of the crazy winds" (depending upon the translation).[9] Records of storms go back to the early 19th century. Local records show 20 tornadoes in Greene County since 1884.[citation needed]

Xenia tornado on April 3, 1974
On April 3, 1974 a tornado[10] rated F5 on the Fujita scale cut a path directly through the middle of Xenia during the Super Outbreak, the second largest series of tornadoes in recorded history. The disaster killed 34 people (including two Ohio National Guardsmen who died days later in a related fire), injured an additional 1,150, destroyed almost half of the city’s buildings, and left 10,000 people homeless. Five schools, including Xenia High School, Central Junior High School, McKinley Elementary, Simon Kenton Elementary, and Saint Brigid Catholic School were destroyed. Also destroyed were nine churches and 180 businesses.
The city's plight was featured in the national news, including a 1974 NBC television documentary, Tornado!, hosted by Floyd Kalber. President Richard Nixon visited stricken areas of Xenia following the devastation. Comedian Bob Hope organized a benefit for Xenia and, in appreciation, the new Xenia High School Auditorium was named the "Bob Hope Auditorium." In recognition of their coverage of this tornado, the staff of the Xenia Daily Gazette won the Pulitzer Prize for spot news reporting in 1975.[11]
Xenia was struck by a much smaller tornado in April, 1989 and again by another F4 tornado on September 20, 2000. The 1989 tornado caused over $2 million in damage, but no one was killed. The twister of 2000 left one person killed, and 100 people injured. This tornado followed a path roughly parallel to the 1974 tornado.
Xenia currently has a system of tornado sirens. After the 1974 tornado outbreak, the city purchased a system of Federal Thunderbolt Sirens for warning. During the 2000 tornado strike, the lack of backup. Most of Xenia's old sirens are still standing, but not operational.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenia,_Ohio

I've seen reports on the '74/'00 twisters, and it is absolutely eerie how similar the paths were for those storms. No more than 100 yards either way when the paths deviated, which was only in a very few spots. In '74, I spent most of two days with my head b/w my knees in the elementary school hallway in Cbus.

-Kevin

nrc
06-13-13, 10:42 AM
We were ready to spend the night in the basement but went up to bed when it became evident around 2:30 AM that the worst of it had missed us. A reasonably comfortable futon in the basement is a good investment.

Elmo T
06-13-13, 11:15 AM
Meh - hardly anything here when it passed. A bit of rain and rumbly. Further south towards Merion got a lot more rain but doesn't sound to serious.

dando
06-13-13, 11:28 AM
We were ready to spend the night in the basement but went up to bed when it became evident around 2:30 AM that the worst of it had missed us. A reasonably comfortable futon in the basement is a good investment.

The storm had weakened considerably by the time it got out east. Also, you benefit from the dtown heat island effect, which tends to weaken storms entering dtown, but then energizes them for Licking county. One of the weather guys noted that's why it's a good idea to buy hail insurance in parts like Pataskala and Nerk. Sure enough, the thorms popped a bit east of Franklin county.

-Kevin

Napoleon
06-13-13, 01:04 PM
This is scary. So around 1:45 my weather radio, which is in my home office adjacent to my bedroom, goes off and it announces something like “there is a severe weather warning until X am” and I get a glass of water and go back to bed thinking “man that thing is loud, I need to turn it down”.

So I get up in the morning and my phone has a VM and text message and an e-mail had been sent to me by my city, all at about 11pm (a service I signed up for 6-9 months ago) all announcing that there was a tornado watch/warning. Unless that was some kind of mistake that means I slept right through the weather radio warning. Maybe I should move that thing to my bedroom.

Insomniac
06-13-13, 02:04 PM
@ least you get to watch the Cup Finals w/o local wx yahoo doing play-by-play. :saywhat: There's a freight train of thorms headed right down I-80 from N IN. Based on the models I saw earlier, I think they expected more of a NW to SE pivot, which hasn't happened. Yet. Now if I could just get my phone to quit alerting me to warnings that are no where near me or this area code even. :irked:

Poor bastards two counties north of us are getting raked by hail and tornado warnings. I think we're up to 7 or 8 now. :(

-Kevin

It was also online if you get hit again.

dando
06-13-13, 04:00 PM
It was also online if you get hit again.

Yes. See my comment on the NHL thread. According to the local scribes it was buffering, buffering, buffering...and very delayed. IIRC, she posted about one of the goals, which was delayed by ~30 minutes.

-Kevin

TravelGal
06-13-13, 05:13 PM
It's delaying flights 3-4 on the Eastern seaboard so still has some punch.

Insomniac
06-13-13, 11:39 PM
Yes. See my comment on the NHL thread. According to the local scribes it was buffering, buffering, buffering...and very delayed. IIRC, she posted about one of the goals, which was delayed by ~30 minutes.

-Kevin

Not my experience. 3.5 Mbps feed. There was buffering at times, but easily resolved by pausing video for 5 seconds. I watched all of OT.

nrc
07-10-13, 09:31 PM
A big storm popped up this afternoon with 70 mile per hour winds. It broke off a giant pine tree in our backyard and ripped out the electric line. Thank goodness for generators.

Sent from my Droid RAZR M

TravelGal
07-11-13, 01:01 AM
A big storm popped up this afternoon with 70 mile per hour winds. It broke off a giant pine tree in our backyard and ripped out the electric line. Thank goodness for generators.

Wow, it's sure a good thing you got the forum moved before the storm stuck.

Oh, I mean,

Sure glad to hear you are safe and the generators are keeping you illuminated. :D

nrc
07-11-13, 02:51 PM
Thanks. I think... :)

Fun fact: our generator will run the fridge, a couple of lights, and couple of chargers. It will not run our microwave even if I disconnect everything else. Time to fire up the grill.

KLang
07-11-13, 03:10 PM
Never tried the microwave but I remember the coffee maker would make our generator groan.

Napoleon
07-11-13, 03:41 PM
A few years back my brother, who has a generator, suddenly realized in the winter when the power went out that he had no way to connect the furnace (gas, but the fan is electric) to it (he subsequently had a fix wired into it).

dando
07-12-13, 07:13 PM

That was one massive storm, and no derecho hype leading up to it. :saywhat: Flood warnings still in effect for counties in north central oHIo. I was out to my uncle's 'hood this afternoon in Hickyards, and they got hammered. Trees, limbs, etc. everywhere. However, no sharks were spotted. ;) 17 out of 20 days of rain in the area leading up to Wed., and guess what is on the way after a one-day break? :saywhat:

-Kevin

nrc
07-14-13, 01:26 AM
Finally got power back on this morning. Now I just have to have to get the giant pine out of the yard and find an Electrician to replace the strain relief on our power feed that got pulled out of the wall.

TravelGal
07-14-13, 01:59 AM
Finally got power back on this morning. Now I just have to have to get the giant pine out of the yard and find an Electrician to replace the strain relief on our power feed that got pulled out of the wall.

:thumbup: Welcome back, your sirness.

dando
07-14-13, 05:15 AM
Keep in mind we could not buy a drop of rain last summer outside of the 29-June derecho. Now we (and much of the midwest) have massive flooding issues. 'tis why they call them averages. :saywhat:

-Kevin