PDA

View Full Version : No More "Movie Stars?"

Racing Truth
06-11-13, 08:18 PM
Probably. (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/06/movie-stars-2013/65979/)

I'd be good with this if "reality TV" wasn't partially filling the void. On the plus side, excellent cable dramas also fill it.

People will still see movies, but NOT b/c of who is in them by and large.

nrc
06-13-13, 10:47 PM
There will still be movie stars, just a lot fewer of them. This is essentially what has happened with rock stars. They still exist but there are a lot fewer of them making millions. The rest are getting by on download royalties and hoping their tour nets enough to pay for their next record.

dando
06-13-13, 10:58 PM
An interesting piece I read last night:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-predicts-implosion-film-567604

Can't say I disagree with the constant flow of dreck coming out of Hollywood, and the studios scrambling to find revenue streams.

-Kevin

nrc
06-13-13, 11:17 PM
Same deal as the music industry. Studios aren't going to bankroll movies that they aren't confident are going to make the returns they expect. That's why there's so little originality - they're focused on ready-made franchises: comic books, sequels, remakes, etc. All that other stuff will be made on a shoestring by independents.

Indy
06-14-13, 01:07 PM
Good. I don't want to see any more computer generated garbage. Show me real characters portraying human stories with relevant themes. I haven't seen a decent high-budget movie in a long time.

nrc
06-14-13, 11:03 PM
Good. I don't want to see any more computer generated garbage. Show me real characters portraying human stories with relevant themes. I haven't seen a decent high-budget movie in a long time.

As with music, it's a mixed bag. The dreg will still get made because it sells. I agree that I'd rather see another "El Mariachi" or "Clerks" than another Matrix sequel. But without studios willing to take a risk on something ambitious we'll also never see another "Brazil" or "Empire of the Sun".

Racing Truth
06-15-13, 01:18 PM
An interesting piece I read last night:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-predicts-implosion-film-567604

Can't say I disagree with the constant flow of dreck coming out of Hollywood, and the studios scrambling to find revenue streams.

-Kevin

Yeah, I saw that too. But a warning: DO NOT read that comments section. Regardless of affiliation, it will destroy your faith in humanity.

Racing Truth
06-15-13, 02:06 PM
There will still be movie stars, just a lot fewer of them. This is essentially what has happened with rock stars. They still exist but there are a lot fewer of them making millions. The rest are getting by on download royalties and hoping their tour nets enough to pay for their next record.

Maybe, but those pop/rock stars that do make it seem to have far more staying power. (http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/why-pop-stars-rule-the-world.html)

Now, granted, pop stars HAVE to sell themselves. They are their work, after all.

Point is, it's no longer true (at least for the new gen.) that big names will bring people out to a film (I'm willing to leave room for one or two exceptions). And individual stars inevitably go through dry spells, during which we'll forget they exist.

Insomniac
06-16-13, 10:00 AM
As with music, it's a mixed bag. The dreg will still get made because it sells. I agree that I'd rather see another "El Mariachi" or "Clerks" than another Matrix sequel. But without studios willing to take a risk on something ambitious we'll also never see another "Brazil" or "Empire of the Sun".

I'm afraid the studios won't be taking any chances soon. With Kickstarter funding movies, the studios have found a way to socialize the risk/costs and privatize all the profit. Rob Thomas raised $5.7M so WB could make a Veronica Mars movie. $200M might be too much, but they may make people raise the money first before they'll produce it.

TravelGal
06-16-13, 03:55 PM

It has been this way in publishing for decades. Danielle Steel funds half of the rest of the stable in Random House and whatever other publisher she is currently using.