PDA

View Full Version : Turbo the Snail....

stroker
06-10-13, 05:30 PM
Took my two girls to see "Epic" yesterday. I was forced to watch the trailer for "Turbo".

Holy Christ, does that movie look bad.

And the Gomers think it's going to do for them what "Days of Thunder" did for NASCAR....

dando
06-10-13, 05:59 PM
Took my two girls to see "Epic" yesterday. I was forced to watch the trailer for "Turbo".

Holy Christ, does that movie look bad.

And the Gomers think it's going to do for them what "Days of Thunder" did for NASCAR....

No one thinks it's going to do anything but suck. It's the animated version of Driven. :saywhat:

-Kevin

cameraman
06-10-13, 06:18 PM
The film will be followed by a television series, titled Turbo: F.A.S.T. (Fast Action Stunt Team), which will air on Netflix in December 2013

Since when does a "television series" "air" on Netflix:saywhat:

And this is from Wikipedia...

Theo, a.k.a Turbo (Ryan Reynolds), is a garden snail who dreams of being the greatest racer in the world, just like his hero, 5-time Indianapolis 500 champ, Guy Gagne (Bill Hader). His obsession with speed and all things fast has made him an oddity and an outsider in the slow and cautious snail community, and a constant embarrassment to his careful older brother, Chet (Paul Giamatti). Turbo desperately wishes he could escape the slow-paced life he's living.

As luck would have it, Turbo gets that chance one fateful day after a freak accident when he gets stuck in the grille of a racecar fusing his DNA with nitrous oxide on a Street Race when he suddenly finds himself vested with the power of incredible speed, accuracy, as well as some of the characteristics of a car, such as eyes that light up like headlights, a shell that blinks red like taillights and makes car sounds and music from a radio.

Turbo is then captured by Tito (Michael Peña) a "Dos Bros" taco truck driver and is brought to race with other snails also with Angelo (Luis Guzmán). Impressed by snail leader Whiplash (Samuel L. Jackson), he is accompanied by the rest of his crew Smoove Move (Snoop Dogg), Burn (Maya Rudolph), Skidmark (Ben Schwartz), and White Shadow (Michael Bell).

Turbo embarks on an extraordinary journey to achieve the impossible: racing against the best that IndyCar has to offer, but in the Indianapolis 500 there is no way a snail can race in a competition that is meant for cars. He is the ultimate underdog who achieves the impossible by refusing to let his limitations get in the way of his dreams.

Ed_Severson
06-10-13, 06:42 PM
You haven't lived until you've seen Mario Andretti ride a 4-foot-tall replica of an animated snail.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7098/imageyxcm.jpg

dando
06-10-13, 07:08 PM
Since when does a "television series" "air" on Netflix:saywhat:

They started doing original programming last year. They are trying to be HBO jr. Another attempt to broaden the business model after the gaffe trying to split the DVD and streaming businesses. I'm just happy they finally have started to grow the streaming inventory after the Starz debacle. :saywhat:

-Kevin

datachicane
06-10-13, 07:24 PM
Huh, this thing's got no bottom!

http://budgetandthebeach.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/shovel.jpghttp://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/5329/1930/1600/861792/deep%20hole.jpg

dando
06-10-13, 07:49 PM
You haven't lived until you've seen Mario Andretti ride a 4-foot-tall replica of an animated snail[/IMG]

There's a snail and Mario in the pic? (checks out girl in white to the left) :gomer: :D

-Kevin

TravelGal
06-10-13, 10:59 PM
She might be worth following. At least she's got the sense to be running away. Mario. Really? Ghastly. My eyes hurt.

Kiwifan
06-10-13, 11:36 PM
First up I saw the white top....then thought "of how the mighty have fallen."

Mario, Mario, Mario. :shakehead

Napoleon
06-11-13, 06:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've seen Mario Andretti ride a 4-foot-tall replica of an animated snail.

Good God. If I had his career I would have to be living in a homeless shelter at this point to lower myself to that.

Elmo T
06-11-13, 08:14 AM
Mario, Mario, Mario. :shakehead

I get the impression he wants SO BADLY for open wheel racing to be sucessful that he will do anything they ask. And this seems to confirm that. :shakehead

The film will be followed by a television series, titled Turbo: F.A.S.T. (Fast Action Stunt Team), which will air on Netflix in December 2013

F.A.S.T.? I guess Fast Action Racing Team wasn't going to work. ;)

TravelGal
06-11-13, 10:00 AM
I get the impression he wants SO BADLY for open wheel racing to be sucessful that he will do anything they ask. And this seems to confirm that. :shakehead

A very kind way to look at it but I think you are right. Sad, really, that has come to that.

Andrew Longman
06-11-13, 10:24 AM
Speechless.

Samuel Jackson AND Mario agreed to be a part of this? I guess the check cleared

cameraman
06-11-13, 11:03 AM
So did Paul Page:tony:

ADuKkRTiCfI

_sjzBa3kVQM

Indy
06-11-13, 11:17 AM
Mario knows that the family has destroyed his legacy. Being a great Indy 500 winner and Indy racing hero are just not a big deal anymore. When I was a kid and my Dad drove too fast, my Mom would say "Slow down, Mario!" But of course they were at the race in 1969, and regardless Mario Andretti was a celebrity virtually everyone knew of. So Mario's only chance now to save his own brand is to prostitute himself to these clowns and hope for the best.

I'll give this to Mario. When Rutherford and all the other historic Indy winners were supporting the IRL (for the same reason as Mario now), Mario was supporting CART.

Indy
06-11-13, 11:21 AM
Of course the really sad thing is that this joke of a movie is supposed to lift them up, and meanwhile Ron Howard is about to release "Rush," the story of James Hunt and Niki Lauda, which will no doubt be a blockbuster and will do that much more to make F1 America's default open wheel racing. I figure by 2016 North America will have 3 USGP's + Montreal, and Indy will be a stand-alone race.

cameraman
06-11-13, 11:47 AM
Actually I don't think that the movie is intended to help Indycar, it just takes advantage of it's existence and there's no way that NASCAR/F1 would have gone with it. The movie makers just needed cars going around a famous track.

stroker
06-11-13, 12:19 PM
Actually I don't think that the movie is intended to help Indycar, it just takes advantage of it's existence and there's no way that NASCAR/F1 would have gone with it. The movie makers just needed cars going around a famous track.

Would not a snail have been more at home as escargot at LeMans? :cool:

Andrew Longman
06-11-13, 12:37 PM
Would not a snail have been more at home as escargot at LeMans? :cool:A slug seems more appropriate for anything to do with the IRL.

But both snails and slugs leave snotty slime trails everywhere they go.

Indy: FWIW when I tell people that my kid mows the lawn like Mario Andretti, they still get a laugh out of it and know exactly what I mean. But I think your point is correct.

Elmo T
06-11-13, 02:40 PM
I don't blame Mario (or anyone) taking dough for the voice overs.

But appearing on an inflatable snail? Somewhere you have to draw the line.

Probably WAS designed to be NASCAR movie, but they either said NO or they wanted big $$$ to use the name.

Gnam
06-11-13, 06:45 PM
What happened? :shakehead

http://www.motorsport.com/#!/indycar/photo/main-gallery/tony-kanaan-kv-racing-technology-chevrolet-217/?i=120&id=1567945&sz=1&s=2

http://www.motorsport.com/#!/indycar/photo/main-gallery/mario-andretti-in-a-sub-eating-contest-3/?sz=2&s=2&id=1567936&i=129

http://www.motorsport.com/#!/indycar/photo/main-gallery/michael-andretti-in-a-sub-eating-contest-3/?sz=2&r=6568&s=2&id=1567937&i=128

http://cbsdallas.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/170190883_8.jpg?w=594

http://cbsdallas.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/170190884_8.jpg?w=594

Anteater
06-12-13, 03:21 PM
OMG, make me unsee it! :yuck:

TrueBrit
06-12-13, 03:35 PM
So anyway, about that white top...:D