PDA

View Full Version : Texas TV .3

Duroc
06-10-13, 12:11 AM
Apparently this was Saturday night on ABC? Our resident "insiders" have disappeared with the month of May, and it's kind of hard to follow the hapless IRL.

A note on the rating number. This .3 is the overnight rating in the all important 18-49 demographic. This is what advertisers key on rather than the rating for all viewers.

That 3.7 for the 500 was total viewers, not 18-49. Which is to say the 500 numbers for 18-49 tell an even worse story - no one under the age of 50 is watching this crap.

dando
06-10-13, 12:27 AM
Well, there was a hockey game on opposite the race... :tony:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
06-10-13, 08:38 AM
The hockey game actually did a 1.1 in the demo. Not bad for a "niche" sport.

Looking at the shares is kind of fascinating, too. Only 11% of all TVs in use on Saturday night were tuned into the 4 broadcast networks. That shows just how fragmented the TV audience really is. /media geek.

Source: Zap2It (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/06/09/tv-ratings-saturday-nhl-hockey-beats-baseball-and-indycar-racing-on-sports-dominated-saturday/186380/?utm_campaign=WP%20%3E%20Twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter)

Chief
06-10-13, 10:07 AM
I deliberately did not watch. The IRLcar series sucks, the cars are ugly and it's just contrived garbage. They have proven to me with it all that they don't want me as a fan.

Therefore, they are getting exactly what they wanted...and I couldn't be happier.

BTW:

2013 NASCAR on FOX Season Wraps as Highest-Rated, Most-Watched Sport In-Season: NASCAR on FOX concluded its 2013 portion of the season as the highest-rated and most-watched sport in-season for the 13th straight season, according to figures released today by Nielsen Media Research. The complete 2013 NASCAR on FOX Sprint Cup season averaged a potent 4.8/10 household rating/share for the third time in four years (2010, 2012 & 2013).

In addition to its 13-year in-season reign, the 2013 NASCAR on FOX season also outperformed the NBA Playoffs on ABC by +41% (4.8 vs. 3.4), as well as complete NBA Conference Finals coverage on all networks by +7% (4.8 vs. 4.5). NASCAR on FOX is the only major sport on a broadcast network not to post a year-to-year ratings decline this year. NASCAR on FOX also continues to be a ratings force among male viewers watching events live. Compared to broadcast network prime time entertainment programming, live NASCAR on FOX viewership ranks No. 2 among Men 18-49 and Men 25-54 from February through the end of the broadcast season.

dando
06-10-13, 10:15 AM
The hockey game actually did a 1.1 in the demo. Not bad for a "niche" sport.

Looking at the shares is kind of fascinating, too. Only 11% of all TVs in use on Saturday night were tuned into the 4 broadcast networks. That shows just how fragmented the TV audience really is. /media geek.

Source: Zap2It (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/06/09/tv-ratings-saturday-nhl-hockey-beats-baseball-and-indycar-racing-on-sports-dominated-saturday/186380/?utm_campaign=WP%20%3E%20Twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter)

That's because they keep adding more and more crap channels to the lineup, and many of the broadcast networks are the perpetrators. Cutting their nose off to spite their face. :saywhat: Hence why the Mouse is signing content deals under E$PN, so they can charge higher per user rates, yet some of that content airs on ABC/E$PN. :irked: Sad when History becomes a reality TV network, and I consume content on HS2. :shakehead Oh, and RIP, OWN. We hardly knew ya. :gomer:

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
06-10-13, 10:31 AM
I don't see how they can afford to open the track and run a race.

http://cdn-1.motorsport.com/static/img/mgl/1500000/1560000/1568000/1568600/1568631/s1_1.jpg

stroker
06-10-13, 11:31 AM

Obviously Marlo Klain got married again.

Rus'L
06-10-13, 12:09 PM
no one under the age of 50 is watching this crap.

I fear this is going to be the case across the board for all racing.

The younger generation doesn't care about cars anymore. Never mind the actual racing of them.

The number of kids today who don't even care to get their license is staggering. My own nephew, who used to come to all my races when I was in the area, who once dreamed of being a racecar driver, is almost 20, doesn't have his license, and doesn't care to get it as his learner's permit is about to expire.

G.
06-10-13, 01:12 PM

Wasn't Gossage bitching up a storm last year? This year he's all smiles and Promotion (I think).

Sanction fee = $1.00

Bank on it.

Chief
06-10-13, 01:37 PM
Wasn't Gossage bitching up a storm last year? This year he's all smiles and Promotion (I think).

Sanction fee = $1.00

Bank on it.

New Hampshire and Las Vegas in 2011...and then that rascal fencepost forced them to be free if they were gonna have any. So oval promoters have a little meat on the bone for themselves. Eddie saves money by not promoting and it's win win. Right on bro...:thumbup:

Elmo T
06-10-13, 02:28 PM

OK - I had to Google that one :laugh:

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7000

dando
06-10-13, 03:20 PM

Man, that's a blast from the past. Almost back to when I GAF. :gomer:

-Kevin

Chief
06-10-13, 03:57 PM
OK - I had to Google that one :laugh:

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7000

Ten years after and that thread STILL reads as priceless. :laugh:

Rogue Leader
06-10-13, 04:08 PM
TBH, I was surprised by how many people were actually there. A lot more than I've seen at some of their oval events.

Duroc
06-10-13, 08:37 PM
I deliberately did not watch.

I was out at the local dirt track. They put on a better show.

I'm wondering if they'll answer the bell next year, and if they can sell this IRL/IMS mess even with taxpayer giveaways and creative accounting.

The younger generation doesn't care about cars anymore. Never mind the actual racing of them.

Pretty much, though that Vin Diesel vehicle makes tons of cash.

AOW's fate was sealed when CART was bringing in Mexican sponsors but passed on getting up on a Spanish language network.

TravelGal
06-10-13, 10:54 PM
For reasons beyond my reasoning, I thought I'd turn it on. I saw the start, then finished up reading an email or something and looked up and (Pippa Mann's) car was toast. Ages of yellow. Something like 4-6 laps for a one car, mechanical (no debris) failure. Having shut down the computer, I looked up again. Racing, if you can call it that shown by several hours (minutes) of "side by side" commercials so I thought I'd hit the loo. Another yellow. Several laps examining the insides of my eyelids. Eventually roused myself to turn it off. Apparently Helio led 2/3 of it so I guess I saw all the action there was to be seen. Jeebers. :yuck:

Chief
06-11-13, 10:04 AM
PRroblem is they manufactured the old momentum racing and when they go back to what racing really is or was, the fans are bored now because there aren't cars launching into the grater or side by side action endlessly adnauseum with 0.00001 second close finishes.

In essence, THEY screwed their own golden goose after they screwed our golden goose. Now they gotta find a way to re-capture the young fan base because they p!ssed off the the old fanbases. Good luck with that....

Seriously, they are screwed. :rofl:

Indy
06-11-13, 11:09 AM
^^^ That is the best explanation of the current situation I have heard.

G.
06-11-13, 11:38 AM
PRroblem is they manufactured the old momentum racing and when they go back to what racing really is or was, the fans are bored now because there aren't cars launching into the grater or side by side action endlessly adnauseum with 0.00001 second close finishes.

In essence, THEY screwed their own golden goose after they screwed our golden goose. Now they gotta find a way to re-capture the young fan base because they p!ssed off the the old fanbases. Good luck with that....

Seriously, they are screwed.

^^^ That is the best explanation of the current situation I have heard.

Yep.

Add in "dumbed-down", "lowest common denominator", "provincial", "grass-roots", "in-bred", etc., and you got yourself a book!:tony:

Racing Truth
06-11-13, 07:57 PM
I was out at the local dirt track. They put on a better show.

I'm wondering if they'll answer the bell next year, and if they can sell this IRL/IMS mess even with taxpayer giveaways and creative accounting.

Pretty much, though that Vin Diesel vehicle makes tons of cash.

AOW's fate was sealed when CART was bringing in Mexican sponsors but passed on getting up on a Spanish language network.

#slatepitches:gomer: Huh? That is about 30 pgs. down on the list of AOW eff ups.

Racing Truth
06-11-13, 08:01 PM
I fear this is going to be the case across the board for all racing.

The number of kids today who don't even care to get their license is staggering. My own nephew, who used to come to all my races when I was in the area, who once dreamed of being a racecar driver, is almost 20, doesn't have his license, and doesn't care to get it as his learner's permit is about to expire.

Part of the issue is, in the broader automotive world, what is left to innovate, other than green tech.?

gerhard911
06-11-13, 08:03 PM
Part of the issue is, in the broader automotive world, what is left to innovate, other than green tech.?

Jeebus, if you truly believe this, it's no wonder your small mind can embrace the .1RL :shakehead

NismoZ
06-11-13, 08:13 PM
Thus my, "safer race" comment. We go nuts when people die and we hate "momentum racing." Is it a "take your pick" situation? I stand by my estimation that the product HAS improved, but those big damn ovals should be reserved for NASCRAP! I AM going to Milwaukee Friday and I have an open mind! So SUE me! Still have to DRIVE there.:):thumbup:

Racing Truth
06-11-13, 08:22 PM
Jeebus, if you truly believe this, it's no wonder your small mind can embrace the .1RL :shakehead

Explain. And I mean innovation that gets regular people interested.

Racing Truth
06-11-13, 08:25 PM

Seriously, they are screwed. :rofl:

On TX, yep, pretty much.

FTR: I thought Sat. night went slightly too far in the other direction. "Dirty air" was a problem.

gerhard911
06-11-13, 09:08 PM
Explain. And I mean innovation that gets regular people interested.

Define "regular people". NA$CAR fans? Trackforum posters? NFW - Luddites to whom "innovation" means a new graphics package for their favorite driver or different mirrors on an otherwise spec car.

For thinking race fans there are multiple avenues for innovations that are readily apparent to even my non-engineering mind. Aerodynamics, electronics/computer controls of various components, advanced suspension design, new engine technologies, stuff I am too dumb to even envision. It's out there, waiting to be discovered and explored but needs a rules package that will allow it.

cameraman
06-11-13, 10:47 PM
For thinking race fans there are multiple avenues for innovations that are readily apparent to even my non-engineering mind. Aerodynamics, electronics/computer controls of various components, advanced suspension design, new engine technologies, stuff I am too dumb to even envision. It's out there, waiting to be discovered and explored but needs a rules package that will allow it.

That's called F1 and LeMans and both are too expensive. Anything short of those two is building with stock parts, you really think anyone is going to build a better carbon brake in their garage?

Truthfully what this country needs is a US/Canada GP2-GP3 series to run support at ALMS/GA races. Get out of the damned inner cities and run the usual suspects, Sebring, Laguna Seca, Road America, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Road Atlanta, Mid-Ohio, Mosport, Austin, Portland, Cleveland and maybe Infineon & VIR too.

NismoZ
06-11-13, 11:04 PM
No sir. (G911) That may be what you (and I) want but what they need is something different...that is affordable, competitive AND entertaining and still relatively safe! Not an easy combo to come up with. We all want somebody else to spend their way to oblivion and when they DO we get all pissed-off because they BUY wins. I love ALMS P1, for example, but 3 whole cars in a race for the overall? Screw that! USCR, IndyCar, MUST go to a less expensive restricted tech route AND increase the the fields, the competitiveness AND the entertainment. Simple, right? :rolleyes: Give me the best drivers (available) in a series with large grids of fast, good looking, great sounding race cars that are affordable and I'll BE there. Man, I loved F-5000!:)

NismoZ
06-11-13, 11:15 PM
Yeah, (C'man) I used to go crazy wishing for a SuperAtlantic series, remember? Just THINK what a field of those little Mazda-powered turbos in Swift tubs on Cooper tires would look like at those tracks you mentioned...at speeds probably faster than the current IndyCar. THEN you might see an American driver headed to Europe again some day. Now? I guess I just don't know what Daytona means!?

gerhard911
06-12-13, 08:55 AM
So nobody thinks there can be a middle ground between the spec DW12 and F1/LeMans Prototypes :confused:

cameraman
06-12-13, 09:33 AM
So nobody thinks there can be a middle ground between the spec DW12 and F1/LeMans Prototypes :confused:

How do you control the costs? They go from zero to astronomical faster than the cars.

Chief
06-12-13, 01:50 PM
To me (from day one) the mix of methanol, turbos, sleek design and speed provided such an intoxicating exotic drug on these American shores it was hard to put down.

IMHO, providing that doesn't have to be cost prohibitive. But, by changing that formula made it prohibitive for me in the long run. Many here surely feel the same.

I'd take 1995 or 2001 back again in a heartbeat. Heck, even 2005 or 6 too.

Andrew Longman
06-12-13, 02:53 PM
+1 :thumbup:

Gnam
06-12-13, 03:08 PM
Failure to incorporate the DP01 into Indycar was a huge mistake. Instant rivalry, interest on both sides, competition, cost savings, controversy, development, and unexpected results were all lost for the sake of uniformity and control.

The split was bad, but the solution was worse.

Racing Truth
06-12-13, 03:10 PM
Hmm, kinda missed my point. Sure, in racing only, we COULD innovate forever if speeds are no factor. I'm talking about "street cars"/the auto industry.

B/c if racing innovations have no chance at being relevant to street vehicles, why is the wider public going to be interested? Sure, some of that might have been myth, but mythology can be powerful. And for many reasons, that myth is dead.

Rus's point was about a dying "car culture." Well, in the auto industry, what boundaries are left to push? If it's mostly green tech., that's important, but doesn't excite anyone.

Chief
06-12-13, 04:06 PM
Failure to incorporate the DP01 into Indycar was a huge mistake. Instant rivalry, interest on both sides, competition, cost savings, controversy, development, and unexpected results were all lost for the sake of uniformity and control.

The split was bad, but the solution was worse.

Excellent salient point, the one that's missed by IMS in their endless search as to why the fans KNOW that it blows now. More than anything (driver crossover, owners defecting, manufacturers taking sides) the car and technology is what we all rested our hats on. it was ours...the life blood, the DNA...and they scraped it all into the dung heap for IRL horse*****. And to the morAns who can't figure it out...ya probably never knew or cared enough to see, feel or hear the difference. For you's...buy a clue.

Indy
06-12-13, 08:20 PM
I got into this long argument once on seventh gear with someone about the meaning of "competitive." Her point was that a race where someone like Penske finishes with the only cars on the lead lap is not "competitive." My point was that this sort of race is far more competitive than one where everyone has equal equipment. In this, I believe, lies the division between the CART fans and the gomers.

IndyCar will never be anything because the Hulman-George imbeciles will never relinquish control over every aspect of the sport. This is necessary for them not for competition reasons, but because they view the sport as a plantation that they alone own. The result, however they try to mitigate it, is a lack of real competition. AOW was truly GREAT when no one had control and everyone was in fierce competition to win by any advantage they could gain. They could easily do this again and let the market determine who spends what, but they will not. Ever.

G.
06-12-13, 08:25 PM
Sort of on topic, Gossage wants to run cabs vs. Sleds.

sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/warped-wednesday-indycar-vs-nascar-showdown-232602327.html

I have no clue how serious this is.