PDA

View Full Version : Career Ender?

NismoZ
06-08-13, 10:50 PM
Held out hope for a long time that Felipe Massa could have some success after all his misfortunes but 3 crashes in the last 2 events may have just sealed the deal for him. That's racing.:(

opinionated ow
06-09-13, 09:20 AM
Given at least one of those was a mechanical failure and people were slipping off everywhere I think you're jumping the gun...

Insomniac
06-09-13, 09:27 AM
He seems to be in a slump. It's probably the end of his run at Ferrari, but not just based on this ear's performance. I'd expect he can find another ride, but will he want it?

RTKar
06-09-13, 10:06 AM
...but he drives for Ferrari, they'll move in a different direction.

DagoFast
06-09-13, 10:31 AM
While I can appreciate Ferrari's loyalty and that Fred likely enjoys having an unthreatening teammate, if the Scuderia ever wants another manufacturer title they need a much better number 2 driver.

WickerBill
06-09-13, 01:12 PM
I can't decide if Heikki is going to end up in the second Ferrari seat as a substitute driver for the remainder of 2013, or the second seat at Lotus.

mapguy
06-09-13, 01:24 PM
Massa hasn't won a race since losing the 2008 title. I am surprised that Ferrari has shown this much patience.

Rogue Leader
06-10-13, 04:03 PM
Massa hasn't won a race since losing the 2008 title. I am surprised that Ferrari has shown this much patience.

I agree it seems like he is past his sell-by date. Hes not bad, but he was never really great, and losing the championship in the way he did, coupled with his accident the next year, really just put an end to him.

JohnHKart
06-11-13, 03:40 AM
It's hard to believe any driver even gets near white paint in the rain. Like low level aerobatics in warbirds they still do it, risking the same results - a crash.

NismoZ
06-11-13, 07:19 PM
I KNOW...but I still have a soft spot for him. All of you are correct...but I always hope a guy who has given so much to the sport can go out "on his own terms." Maybe THIS guy can't. He's alive, has both legs, probably pretty wealthy...no REASON to feel badly for him, but...MAN! How CLOSE can you come to a WORLD champion ANYthing!?

gerhard911
06-11-13, 08:05 PM
How close? Probably closer than he deserved :\

Tifosi24
06-11-13, 09:54 PM
How close? Probably closer than he deserved :\

Probably some truth to it, but his 2008 season was more than anyone could have expected and was a show of solid talent. I don't think anyone should take that away from him; it's not like Massa in 2008 was Irvine in 1999.

Even before the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix I liked Massa, but the spring accident clearly has diminished his competitiveness. I don't expect him back at Ferrari next year and they have given him more of a second chance than I expected.

NismoZ
06-11-13, 10:11 PM
You are overly critical perhaps? (G911) He drove for Ferrari! Often an advantage, wouldn't you agree? He did NOT buy the ride. He was part of a TEAM that put him where he was. He played the roll given him and through circumstances was THAT close to a world title. He deserved it but he didn't get it..through OTHER circumstances. Wouldn't be the only time something like that has happened. I wish him nothing but the best and would welcome him in USCAR, for example.:thumbup: Probably as good as , say, Scott Pruett? Hi, to my family at home! (and agreed, T24)

BarillaGirl
06-11-13, 10:14 PM
I KNOW...but I still have a soft spot for him. All of you are correct...but I always hope a guy who has given so much to the sport can go out "on his own terms." Maybe THIS guy can't. He's alive, has both legs, probably pretty wealthy...no REASON to feel badly for him, but...MAN! How CLOSE can you come to a WORLD champion ANYthing!?

This. :(

gerhard911
06-12-13, 08:51 AM
You are overly critical perhaps? (G911) He drove for Ferrari! Often an advantage, wouldn't you agree? He did NOT buy the ride. He was part of a TEAM that put him where he was. He played the roll given him and through circumstances was THAT close to a world title. He deserved it but he didn't get it..through OTHER circumstances. Wouldn't be the only time something like that has happened. I wish him nothing but the best and would welcome him in USCAR, for example.:thumbup: Probably as good as , say, Scott Pruett? Hi, to my family at home! (and agreed, T24)

Perhaps. He was very much worthy of an F1 ride and quite talented but I just never saw him as WDC material. Although I was rooting for him to win at the end of 2008.

I agree with every thing else you and Tifosi said.

Rex Karz
06-13-13, 11:20 AM
Given that Massa joined Ferrari starting with the 2005 season and was really sucky last year, I suspect this year might be his last with Ferrari, perhaps even in F1. Nine years with the same team in F1 and no WDC in that period is a long, long time. Ferrari is probably looking for new blood (someone like Perez, if he was available) and Massa is probably just going to be tossed out the door and onto the scrap heap of former F1 drivers.

Some call the NFL the Not For Long league. The same can be applied to F1.

Insomniac
06-13-13, 01:58 PM
Given that Massa joined Ferrari starting with the 2005 season and was really sucky last year, I suspect this year might be his last with Ferrari, perhaps even in F1. Nine years with the same team in F1 and no WDC in that period is a long, long time. Ferrari is probably looking for new blood (someone like Perez, if he was available) and Massa is probably just going to be tossed out the door and onto the scrap heap of former F1 drivers.

Some call the NFL the Not For Long league. The same can be applied to F1.

What happened to Vettel to Ferrari?

WickerBill
06-13-13, 02:07 PM
Matchett pipe dream. Vettel signed an extension with RB...

Rex Karz
06-13-13, 07:44 PM
Yea. Vittels is with Bulls 'O Red through the end of 2015 now.